PDA

View Full Version : Compact Cranks Help.....MY R700's are UGLY!

trophyoftexas
03-29-2008, 05:33 PM
OK, I DON'T want to change anything on the two bikes in question except to go to a more attractive set of cranks.....anyone out there got some suggestions for me? I'm running R700 Shimano's and they perform just fine but they are about as butt ugly as anything I've ever used and can't stand to look at them any longer! I can't believe it's taken me so long to come to that conclusion! I'm NOT going to change everything, just the cranks and rings so they must work with the Dura Ace stuff already on the bike. Post pictures or links if you have any. I'm not very savvy when it comes to substituting "sections" of a drive train so I really am somewhat at a loss as to what I should be looking for.....oh yeah, I also DON'T want to use the new Shimano Ultegra SL cranks, I don't like the "smoke" look....would also probably not use carbon but would at least take a look at it. Color would have to be silver, black, red, yellowish, or even grey. I'm looking at them for a Candy Apple red Legend Ti and an Ottrott painted in the white/red/yellow Inferno paint combination. Thanks!

Steve Hampsten
03-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I hear ya and I feel your pain. FSA SLK are nice, or Campy Chorus compact if you're feeling perverse. Fulcrum, maybe?

stevep
03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
dont look down.

its a good crank

dave thompson
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM
contact Sabin: http://www.carbonlord.com/ Nice stuff!

93legendti
03-29-2008, 06:36 PM
contact Sabin: http://www.carbonlord.com/ Nice stuff!
I just bought a seatpost from carbonLORD and it's real nice.

fixednwinter
03-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I have both the R700 and the SLK that Steve mentioned. Personally, I don't find the R700 butt-ugly, but the SLK's do look nice and are well-priced (they're a step below FSA's more expensive K-Force line). Both work well, so function is not an issue.

PaMtbRider
03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
+1 on the carbonlord. I have a 50/36 compact that looks and shifts great.

NateM
03-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Campy Alloy Centaur UT..nothing fancy, shiny rings

Keith A
03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
The Ultegra's also come in a standard silver finish...

http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/dd/c2/9b85_1.JPG

dirtdigger88
03-29-2008, 07:41 PM
get a pair of 7701 cranks with TA Heoga Rings- 50/38 would do the trick

Jason

RudAwkning
03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
OK, I DON'T want to change anything on the two bikes in question except to go to a more attractive set of cranks.....anyone out there got some suggestions for me? I'm running R700 Shimano's and they perform just fine but they are about as butt ugly as anything I've ever used and can't stand to look at them any longer! I can't believe it's taken me so long to come to that conclusion! I'm NOT going to change everything, just the cranks and rings so they must work with the Dura Ace stuff already on the bike. Post pictures or links if you have any. I'm not very savvy when it comes to substituting "sections" of a drive train so I really am somewhat at a loss as to what I should be looking for.....oh yeah, I also DON'T want to use the new Shimano Ultegra SL cranks, I don't like the "smoke" look....would also probably not use carbon but would at least take a look at it. Color would have to be silver, black, red, yellowish, or even grey. I'm looking at them for a Candy Apple red Legend Ti and an Ottrott painted in the white/red/yellow Inferno paint combination. Thanks!

A Campy Centaur UT crank would work and has traditional looking rings. Since Campy got cheap and doesn't clearcoat over their silkscreening anymore, you could steel wool off the Campy logos if you're concerend about "cross breeding" :D

pdxmech13
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
I hear ya and I feel your pain. FSA SLK are nice, or Campy Chorus compact if you're feeling perverse. Fulcrum, maybe?

Fulcrum is shimano ya !

Sandy
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
There are couple of positives to the cranks that you are using- No need to change the derailleur. In addition the crank arms of the R700 cranks are not in parallel planes as some of the other compact crank sets. The crankarms point slightly outwards, which is quite advantageous, I believe, for someone who pedals like me- heels in and toes out.

Sandy

AgilisMerlin
03-30-2008, 07:59 AM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa233/Rockymountaincyclery/1%20Line%20Items/a4e1_1.jpg

saab2000
03-30-2008, 08:01 AM
A Campy Centaur UT crank would work and has traditional looking rings. Since Campy got cheap and doesn't clearcoat over their silkscreening anymore, you could steel wool off the Campy logos if you're concerend about "cross breeding" :D

Really? Cool. But wouldn't that still scratch it? Or remove the anodizing? If I could get one and remove the graphics (not too offensive, but would be even cooler without) I would.

Ray
03-30-2008, 08:57 AM
I swapped out the 50 tooth ring for a 48 from TA on my R-700. The crankarm is still as ugly as it was, but having a normal ring instead of the solid metal Shimano version makes the crank a little less ugly. You might want to try replacing the ring (get a traditional looking 50 if you like the ratios) before replacing the whole crank. I always thought the Ritchey WCS compact was a decent looking crank (if you like black), but once it snapped on me, I decided to go with ugly but solid. Which I believe the R-700 is.

-Ray

Dave
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
It's hard to beat the Chorus UT for $350. Order from the right place and you get free freight and no sales tax. They weight is within 35 grams of Record and you get their best chainrings. Centaur chainrings are a lower level product.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/compare/item_guarChCT_catid_3_merc_9_compitem_guarRCT.jsp

thinpin
03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Have a look at the Stronglight z'light activ link compact. xxcycle.com has them

RudAwkning
03-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Really? Cool. But wouldn't that still scratch it? Or remove the anodizing? If I could get one and remove the graphics (not too offensive, but would be even cooler without) I would.

Nah. Just use 0000 steel wool and it'll come right off. I've done it on a couple cranksets for some customers who wanted to use this crank with their SRAM gruppo. It looks pretty cool nekkid too :D