PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica is for mountain bikers...

dbrk
01-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Just before I was to leave last week for Jamaica my pal called to say that he thought the roads and environs were not well-suited for road bikers. If the sketchy roads and traffic weren't going to get you, you might spend a lot of time racing away from dogs (being dogs). So I left the bike at home. We had a nice time at the Good Hope Country House (amazingly beautiful 18th century plantation, 2200 acres, quaint in that oldworld newworld way,hummingbirds, giant raptors, a ten million shades of green) and Aimee too enjoyed the yoga and left home the new HelloKitty Special Edition Kirk.

The new bike was a huge hit. She was thrilled and I think I hit the size right on the money. We'll see come spring and some warm weather. She's disinclined to make it out in the bitter cold or wet.

As for me, I'm glad to be home even though it's nice to feel the sun. This weekend brings another trip---to NYC for another yoga seminar at Virayoga on lower Broadway.

So I suppose the point of this note is to say that think road riding in Jamaica would not be a great idea even for the intrepid. I think there are a few companies doing mtn bike tours---but those aren't for me.

Lots of jerk-this, jerk-that in Jamaica too. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of "Shorty's Jerk Palace" for our pal Senor Jerk. (Levers? Senor? No levers yet...)
Next time.

dbrk

BumbleBeeDave
01-05-2004, 06:54 AM
. . . Glad to have you back, Mon!

But--no bike on dis trip, Mon?

JERK dat!:p

BBDave