PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is your resting heart rate?

M.Sommers
03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I thought my Nike hrm was shot, my Polar S150 is on and I've tested the ticker in the am, afternoon and pm for 7 days in a row. My average is now 44 bpm. This is a big deal for me, I'm pumped :rolleyes: .

:beer:

http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/test/resting-heart-rate.htm

huey
03-28-2008, 11:12 PM
48, and i'm not in riding shape.

Louis
03-28-2008, 11:28 PM
From what I've heard resting HR really doesn't mean a whole lot.

What really bugs me is that when I'm riding up the same long 5% grade with a buddy from work who is about 4 yrs older than I am and in slightly better shape my HR is 10-15 bpm higher than his.

rockdude
03-29-2008, 07:54 AM
My resting rate is low, 43bpm. My max is also low 181bpm. I don't think this has much to do with performance. My cardio is my week area.

keno
03-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Resting 42, max 185, age 66, all pretty much genetic in the first two categories, while third hasn't been put to the test. The most relevant is the third, as the fight with Mother Nature is a tough one. From what I understand, the real money is in VO2 Max, and I haven't a clue as to my own. I'd guess that's the real line in the sand for endurance riders.

During indoor training this winter with two other older guys, Jay's hr seldom got above 140 and was usually 30-40 beats lower than mine on similar efforts and Ed's was usually 10 beats higher than mine on those efforts.

keno

Fixed
03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I can be below 30 in the a.m. and 40 in the doc's office when they see this they want to put me in the hospital scew you i ain't going
i have always been this way ..
cheers

giordana93
03-29-2008, 09:35 AM
heart rates are a bit like weight, more interesting to track your own than to compare to others. big hearts pump more volume per pump, so lower overall rates..

M.Sommers
03-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I remember as a kid havin my BP taken for a physical. I asked the Dr. what it was and he looked at me oddly, like 'why would you care' kinda look. When it came to the 'top' number, systolic, he told me, "That number isn't very important."

For a long time the medical community told us systolic didn't really matter. Like I told my Doctor as a kid, "I think every number is important, why else would you be measuring them?"

//ducking from sniper fire...

Louis, a great 80's tune for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d-jxkzZbRo

:beer:

itsflantastic
03-29-2008, 09:51 AM
My dad is on medication, He's overweight, has heart conditions, etc.
Also, the older you get, the lower it tends to be. His is 40ish

I'm not on medication, I'm not overweight (yet), no heart conditions, etc.
And I'm 24. Mine is 63.

But I haven't done anything all winter excercise-wise. Bangor's winter kinda shocked me, and I stayed indoors and read books :)

Anyway. That's my HR.
What is your resting blood pressure?!?!?!
What is your Social Security Number?! :D

M.Sommers
03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
My dad is on medication, He's overweight, has heart conditions, etc.
Also, the older you get, the lower it tends to be. His is 40ish

I'm not on medication, I'm not overweight (yet), no heart conditions, etc.
And I'm 24. Mine is 63.

But I haven't done anything all winter excercise-wise. Bangor's winter kinda shocked me, and I stayed indoors and read books :)

Anyway. That's my HR.
What is your resting blood pressure?!?!?!
What is your Social Security Number?! :D

Like any poll, the data can never be pure. Someone on meds can have a 40-ish rhr.

What would be interesting is if you take your heart rate resting today, versus the number you get on June 29th; see how low you can get it in 12 weeks, or 26 weeks etc.

flux
03-29-2008, 09:59 AM
i've seen sub 30 frequently in season. mostly mid 30's.

Kane
03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
If you get in shape and lower your heart rate by two beats a minute you save over a million beats a year!

Resting pulse rate when it's low indicates that your stroke volume is good and your pipes are clear (when it is in conjunction with good bp numbers).

Cheers

nobrakes
03-29-2008, 02:12 PM
2 seasons ago, I was 38 bpm resting, 185 or so max. This year, after 2 years still recovering from bad road accident, I can get on my bike and start riding at 40-44, but only maxing out at 160. I've been doing sustained climbing and trying to push my h.r. higher, but only get cross-eyed to where I can't read my h.r.m.

Still working at it, but since I'm not racing anymore, no real sense in stressing myself for a higher h.r. I'll be 58 soon, and am pleased just to be able to ride, again.

Good rest is the best remedy for elevated resting heartrate. In a period in my life where all my similar-aged friends struggle to sleep 4-6 hrs a night, I find it quite easy to sleep 8 or 9 hrs. I train daily, but don't stress it as I did when I raced, and feel better off for it.

Larry
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Mine is now around 72.
Three weeks of cardio training drops this number...... and also tends to eliminate
those annoying PVC.
Just my observation and experience.

Drink more red wine. :beer: :beer: :beer:

coylifut
03-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm like fixed. My resting HR at the doctors office is around 40. Upon waking low 30s. I don't think it has much to do with ones cycling potential.

shinomaster
03-29-2008, 04:24 PM
My heart beats fast, like a freaked out bunny rabbit.

Tobias
03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
In shape in the low 40s – out of shape in the mid 50s. I don’t follow it closely.
Besides, we should be elated with anything above zero.From what I understand, the real money is in VO2 Max, and I haven't a clue as to my own.Data from max VO2 as it applies to cyclist is an interesting concept that’s hard for me to figure out.

TimD
03-29-2008, 06:37 PM
After eating a pretty huge meal. Six feet four and one hundred eight-eight pounds.

Typically somewhat below that (e.g., forty-four just ahead of knee surgery, but before sedatives. Nurse asks "Are you feeling OK?" :))

Here's my heart rate story.

So I'm posing at Peet's Coffee after a nice Sunday ride. The guy to my left, who I'll call Eric, is one of the faster guys in the bunch. The guy to his left, who I'll call Ray, is seventy-two years old and routinely rides his fixed gear fifty miles, several times a week.

Ray is telling Eric about a study he's participating in at Mass General. The good doctors are interested in people of a certain age with brachycardia. There aren't many, Ray tells us, because they tend not to reach A Certain Age.

The story goes on. I'm sitting there knowing RHR values will eventually be disclosed, and I will be more than happy to point out my mid-forties value when that time arrives.

But Ray finishes the story without disclosing his RHR. So I ask Eric his. "Thirty-six" comes the reply. I am impressed. "And you, Ray?"

"Twenty-eight."

After a moment of reflection I continued working on my coffee and my tan.

mikki
03-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I can be below 30 in the a.m. and 40 in the doc's office when they see this they want to put me in the hospital scew you i ain't going
i have always been this way ..
cheers

Similiar experience. A dr's office once had me drink an espresso, run in place and retest. It jumped to 52. Means I don't lose the 600 calories that others burn in a workout; lucky to have my monitor register 400 calories. Hope the ticker doesn't slow down and forget to pump altogether.

keno
03-30-2008, 07:20 AM
for what's it's worth, prompted by your post I went searching and found this on VO2 Max:

http://www.velonews.com/article/8167

Here is the companion piece on LT:

http://www.velonews.com/article/8217

keno

Ray
03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
When I was in the best riding shape of my life, mine was in the mid-upper 40s. Now its in the mid-60s. But I feel just as good if not better in everything I do except riding. Go figure.

-Ray

Sandy
03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Unfortuntely I have not been doing any cycling- just a few easy short very infrequent rides and some rides on the trainer a while back. I just walk my dog. When in shape, my resting pulse rate is 44-47. It is now 57 (today). Shows you what cycling can do for you.

Sandy

Tom
03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
It was cool because when I was in my best shape I'd be sitting at work doing nothing and I could feel it slow down, slow down, just about stop and then clank clank clank a few big beats and it would be back in time.

These days its high fifties, low sixties so I guess I'm not in my mid twenties any more.

My fun story with heart docs was that when I was sick they gave me stuf to make me well that in the long run can screw up your heart muscle. So I get echos done every couple of years. Everything's fine until last year when it comes back reporting a significant loss of heart function. My doc says 'Whaaaa???' He claims that the reports of a bad beat and loss of function are crap, he can tell just by listening to it but says he's forced to follow up. So I go to the cardiologist armed with HRM printouts of 125 mile days on the bike, fast centuries, etc. No good, I gotta go get the test for ejection fraction where they inject you with radioactive stuff and take a motion picture X-ray. I forgot the test name. It is the best TV show I ever saw.

Anyway, the test results come back. 70 percent. I'm told that's really good. I ask, so what's the record? The doc says they stop counting at 70 percent.

Apparently they were so embarrassed, they never charged me for the test.

I told my neighbor about it, he's a retired cardiologist that started the biggest cardio practice in the area and he asked what idiot read my echo. He was pissed and wanted names! I said it was OK, no problem, and we had a couple bourbons.

chakatrain
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
So...I'm in decent, but far from amazing cardio shape. I ride the 20 mile round trip commute to work twice per week and put in a 50 mile ride (about 15mi average) in a moderately hilly SF Bay Area terrain, one day per weekend. This is not an amazing number of miles by any means, but hey...I've got a 9-5 corporate job that ends up being more like 50-55 hours per week, so I do what I can.

My resting heart rate has always been high, kinda like Skrawny's. It's about 67-73 when I wake up. Does that mean I'm out of shape? I'm sure I can get (perhaps a lot) better, but I'm not exactly starting from lazy town. Genetics? Dunno...but even a 50 RHR seems like a pipe dream for me.

bigbill
04-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Age 30 (1995) was my peak year for fitness. I fell asleep during an EKG and my heartrate was at 33 bpm. Normally, it was around 42-43 in the morning. These days it is usually 48-50. For me it does vary with fitness. The highest that I have been able to get it for the last five or so years is 177. In my upper 20's, I could get in the low 190's in a sprint.

saab2000
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Low 40s. Never counted less than 42 reliably.