PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Gin

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
The beer thread leads to the Gin thread...

tonight I met, and really liked, Hendrick's Gin

now you.

mikki
03-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I bet you haven't tried the "Right" Gin yet, have you? I have a client who stared a Gin company overseas and although I always thought Gin tasted like lighter fluid smelled, he gave me a beautiful bottle for Christmas and told me to mix with freshly squeezed orange juice. It is delicious! (subtle spice, yum). So after tasting his wonderful Gin I tasted some regular gin at a party and almost gagged. What a difference!! "Right" was just launched in Las Vegas, New York and LA. Try it if you can get your hands on it...should be more accessible shortly.

He is also part owner of a fantastic Syrah from California called "Red Car"; also excellent.

M.Sommers
03-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Never touch the stuff. But isn't asking what your favorite Gin...

1). Like asking "Who else is an alcoholic?" :D
2). Like asking "Anyone consider drinking rubbing alcohol?" :D

:beer:

adavis
03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Boodles is good old school British gin. Makes excellent martinis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boodles_British_Gin

Jack Brunk
03-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I bet you haven't tried the "Right" Gin yet, have you? I have a client who stared a Gin company overseas and although I always thought Gin tasted like lighter fluid smelled, he gave me a beautiful bottle for Christmas and told me to mix with freshly squeezed orange juice. It is delicious! (subtle spice, yum). So after tasting his wonderful Gin I tasted some regular gin at a party and almost gagged. What a difference!! "Right" was just launched in Las Vegas, New York and LA. Try it if you can get your hands on it...should be more accessible shortly.

He is also part owner of a fantastic Syrah from California called "Red Car"; also excellent.
The 03 and 04 red Car Syrah is fantastic.

H.Frank Beshear
03-28-2008, 11:02 PM
3 parts Bombay Saphire 1 part Cointreau, with a twist of lemon, shake well, pour into a well chilled glass, enjoy. 1 of these is more than plenty though :D .

huey
03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
tanqueray.

DarrenCT
03-29-2008, 01:43 AM
tanqueray.

+1

although its really the only gin that i've had

big shanty
03-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Citadelle for tonic....Cadenhead's old raj for martini (twist).

eddief
03-29-2008, 07:55 AM
smoother and a bit of citrus

William
03-29-2008, 07:56 AM
tanqueray.

...Mixed with Del's frozen lemonade. Only way I could ever drink the stuff. :beer:

William

Buzz
03-29-2008, 08:09 AM
A newer one to try: BlueCoat Gin. A lighter style with citrus notes. Just something different...but very good.

itsflantastic
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
can't believe I started this thread last night. I'm not much of a drinker, but some intense scrabble playing was accompanied by some gin martinis. I obliged. Didn't really care for it at first, but by the time I got to the computer... well, oy gevalt!

Anyway I lost in scrabble by 7 points.
bummer.

pdxmech13
03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
+1 for boodles
best for making tonics

Tanquera for martini's

Delpo
03-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Not many gin lovers out there. My favorites are...

Hendricks
Junipero
Citadelle
Gibsons
Tanqueray 10

Delpo

Ozz
03-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Boodles is good old school British gin. Makes excellent martinis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boodles_British_Gin
+1

dirtdigger88
03-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I love Gin- no hang overs for me with Gin- thats a good thing

I love the smell of Junipers too- :rolleyes:

Boodles or Tanqueray for me

Jason

Cat Craig
03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Tired this in San Francisco at the Rogue bar there. I don't know where you can get it, but it was u:ber tasty. Highly recommended on its own or in a refreshing gin and tonic.

mschol17
03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I'll have to try the Boodles. I've always found that Plymouth Gin makes a fantastic G&T

Louis
03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
some intense scrabble playing was accompanied by some gin martinis.

That's some funky stuff up in the North Woods and a side of Maine that my many trips to visit my sister have yet to discover. :)

erector
03-29-2008, 11:29 AM
isn't gin what you put on wounds so they do get infected?

scotch is nice

Ozz
03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
isn't gin what you put on wounds so they do get infected?

scotch is nice
anti-malaria tonic.... :beer:

Seramount
03-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Broker's London Dry is my current fave.

http://www.brokersgin.com/home.htm

KeithS
03-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Had a department director way back in my youth who went through a case of Gilby's a week. He used to drink really, really, really dry martini's on the rocks, his order was always one cracked and one whole ice cube (this was in the time of shaken not stirred). At lunch one day my (I said it was a long time ago) he ordered the first of his two traditional lunchtime martins and was cursing as he watched the bartender down the bar mix his drink, my boss asked him what his problem was. He told him the SOB was ruining his drink, "he put vermouth in it!". Boss asked "so Jack why don't you just order gin on the rocks?" He responded "Roland, a martini is a gentlemans drink, gin on the rocks is a drunks drink!"

Put it all together for me.

Hendricks was a favorite, before I retired from drinking...

akatsuki
03-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Plymouth for a nice straight-up

Hendricks has a bit of cucumber for a little coolness

Tanq Rangpur for citrus

Bittersweet
03-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Had a department director way back in my youth who went through a case of Gilby's a week. He used to drink really, really, really dry martini's on the rocks, his order was always one cracked and one whole ice cube (this was in the time of shaken not stirred). At lunch one day my (I said it was a long time ago) he ordered the first of his two traditional lunchtime martins and was cursing as he watched the bartender down the bar mix his drink, my boss asked him what his problem was. He told him the SOB was ruining his drink, "he put vermouth in it!". Boss asked "so Jack why don't you just order gin on the rocks?" He responded "Roland, a martini is a gentlemans drink, gin on the rocks is a drunks drink!"

Put it all together for me.

Hendricks was a favorite, before I retired from drinking...

Gilbey's is great stuff. Fantastic heavy juniper berry flavor. No citrus nonsense. Dirt cheap. Perfect. Gin is my preferred alcohol. It is what it is, which is poison. You know what you're doing to yourself and can enjoy every moment of the distinct flavor as opposed to vodka which is flavorless and typically hidden by mixers. Pathetic. Harden up and enjoy.

PacNW2Ford
03-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Has anyone tried the Stirrings Tonic Water made from cane sugar?

rbtmcardle
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Never touch the stuff. But isn't asking what your favorite Gin...

1). Like asking "Who else is an alcoholic?" :D
2). Like asking "Anyone consider drinking rubbing alcohol?" :D

:beer:

I laughed out loud at that one :)
- never had gin, ever, scotch on the other hand we could discuss

paulandmonster
03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
and their nice people

Ozz
03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
...Tanq Rangpur for citrus
Tanqueray makes OK gin, but I just can't stand their ad campaign....(Tony Sinclair??) :no:

Jeff N.
03-31-2008, 10:29 AM
+1

although its really the only gin that i've had+2. 96 Proof. Oh...my head...Jeff N. Beefeater's ain't too bad either.

akatsuki
03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Tanqueray makes OK gin, but I just can't stand their ad campaign....(Tony Sinclair??) :no:

Yeah, those ads are pretty obnoxious and turned me off of Rangpur a bit, but the gin itself is not bad at all. I prefer Plymouth personally.

Pete Serotta
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Favorite GIN is ZIN :)

tab123
03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Plymouth

Boodles.

Now if only we had a warm day for a G&T after a nice ride.