PDA

View Full Version : Pop goes the Ottrott (or I almost stuck the landing!)

Len J
09-08-2004, 09:40 AM
So I'm on vacation out on the outer Banks of NC. First Day on Sunday, I go out for a ride on my Ottrott ST. I'm heading back from Carolla, going thru Duck. There is a line of traffic trying to get back to the Highway, I'm on a bike path on the inside of traffic moving along at a reasonable clip. when much to my surprise, a car, coming the other direction, trying to turn into a resturant, accelerates in front of a stopped SUV, and is suddenly right in front of me. I never get a chance to hit the brakes, hit his right rear quarter panel. I hear the fork snap as the front of the bike stops while I continue forward. My thighs hit the collapsing handlebars and I proceed to somersault over the rear deck of the car. I am now looking down at my bike bouncing away from the car in two pieces. I tumble over again, still in the air. The first thing that hits the ground is the back of my helmet as I continue to roll. I roll forward on my back and almost end up in a standing position before settling back, flat on my back about 25 ft from the car. I lay stunned for a moment as I hear the driver say: "I never saw him, I never looked!"

Physical damage.......a megabruise on my thigh..and a strained back.
Bike Damage.......My own hand built front wheel, still true. My Ottrott in pieces.....fork trashed, long gash in the carbon downtube. Left Brake lever bent in half., Handlebars bent backwards at the stem.
Driver Damage...He got a ticket for failure to yeild right of way, I get to not ride for the rest of my vacation. Assistant chief of police (who is a rider) saw the whole thing and has offered to talk to the insurance company.....She told me that If I had "stuck the landing", she would have given me a 9.5, but unfotunatly had to deduct. LOL.

I feel damn lucky...I coulda been killed.

Hug your loved one's....Ya just never know.

Len

PS, I'll post pictures of the bike when I get home.

M_A_Martin
09-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Len,
I'm glad to see you typing after an accident like that!
I hope you heal well.
Ginger

Spinner
09-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Len,

Glad to hear that you are all right and that you had a credible witness.

bulliedawg
09-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Thank God your not in worse shape. Sorry about the bike. Amazing that the assistant police chief not only witnessed the accident, but is also a cyclist. So much for the dougnut cliche.

Serotta PETE
09-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Len, glad to hear you are okay. Bike can be replaced.

Sorry I did not know you were in Duck. I would have driven over with Spokes and a spare bike. (We would have stopped by and got Sandy's)

PETE

Climb01742
09-08-2004, 10:02 AM
either a) you're living right, b) your guardian angel was paying real close attention, c) you have karma up the wazoo, or d) all of the above. so glad you're ok. maybe you could give tyler tips. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
I add my name to the chorus of those glad you are OK!!!

"I never saw him, I never looked!" . . . That certainly sounds like an admission of fault to me. Hope you have lots of photos of the bike in pieces to send to the insurance co. Keep us apprised on how they may try to screw/help you!

BBDave

Ken Robb
09-08-2004, 10:52 AM
OK, now for the fun part: What will you spec for your NEW BIKE?

Len J
09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

Climb: Either clean living or dumb luck....I'll take either.

Driver got a ticket......I've got to get estimates etc.....I'm going to worry about that when I get home.

Len

coylifut
09-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm wondering if any of your former/current sports saved your life. Gymnastics, judo, football, bmx...I got hit by a car in a similar situation when I was 17 (some 20 + years ago). The difference was is I broke my lower leg and collarbone. Just before impact, I unweighted (wiggling out of my clips and straps) and jumped. I didn't want to end up under the car. The front of the car caught my leg (breaking the lower part) I bounced off the hood and slid on my butt across the intersection, striking the curb which launched me about 5 feet in the air where I landed in large rhododendron bush. My YMCA judo instructor came and visited me at the hospital and said, "see, I told you Judo would save your life."

Bruce K
09-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Len;

You are probably a little bit lucky that you didn't have time to react and were thus launched in a rather relaced state.

Happy to hear that you are OK.

Bikes can be replaced.

BK

Smiley
09-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Thank God your OK , fight over the replacement of the bike later. Hope it did not otherwise ruin your vacation too . Smiley and Karen

va rider
09-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Yup, I echo Smiley, the bike is replaceable, you are not.

I had a buddy who got hit by a car, insurance covered everything, including a new seven ti-axiom.

Hope you feel better soon, Len.

Bill Bove
09-08-2004, 01:59 PM
So glad you're O.K. Len. Two words for you. Ottrot And Record. Go whole hog, you deserve it as much as that bozo's insurance company deserves to buy it for you. Only when insurance for bad drivers gets so hight that they can't afford to drive will we be safe on the roads.

Bill, who does not believe in no fault insurance.

Spectrum Bob
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Len,
I am glad you are OK.
There is not much that hasn't already been said.
I wish and pray you have a speedy and complete recovery.
Bob

BumbleBeeDave
09-08-2004, 06:18 PM
. . . Don’t forget that custom Arione saddle, integrated carbon bars, wireless Ergo-Brain, Stronglight carbon crank, seat bag with your initials in gold leaf, etc. etc. etc. . . . ;) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

Peter
09-08-2004, 06:51 PM
The best thing to know is that you're well to ride another day.

I was hit, for the third time, this past March. While I won't go into the "get a lawyer" speech in this post because I don't think it's appropriate here, I'd like to give you a piece of advice about the bike-hey; we already know YOU'LL be fine so let's move on to the important stuff! ;-)

My most recent experience was the insurance company TOTALLED my bike, then DEPRECIATED the cost of replacement, much like totalling a car in an accident. They never even discussed the matter with me; just sent a check. Just be aware of this as you enter the process of recovering your trashed bike. "Nuff said.

Kevin
09-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Len,

I spent a week on the Outerbanks every year from 1993 to 2001. I stayed at the Pine Island subdivision. It had its own private airstrip so you could fly in and avoid all of the traffic. As a matter of fact my parents are at the Sanderling Inn as we speak. If memory serves me, which is doubtful, there is an upscale bike shop in Duck that may be able to hook you up with a decent bike. I forget the name of the shop. I think it was on the east side of the road.

As far as the Ottrott, did you join the owners' club?

Kevin

Len J
09-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Got the bike and helmet back today.

The fork sheared off at the crown.
Handlebars are bent back about 10 degrees from the stem.
Left brake lever is bent up 90 degrees halfway up the lever (no wonder I had cuts on the inside of my fingers)
Right lever was twisted 90 degrees off front.
Right cable (shimano) was stripped clear to the wire for about 6 inches.
Right handlebar obviously banged the carbon downtube and cut a 1 mm gouge about 2 inches long.
Can't tell if the headtube is bent although remaining steerer tube rotates cleanly.

The helmet has a small scratch about 2/3's back on top.....I obviously hit on the helmet after the second somersault as I continued to rotate.

My Body:

Back has loosened up considerably....I'd say, after 4 days I'm at about 90 percent....amazing.
Although the hit on my right thigh was above the knee in the front, the bruise is on the back side of the thigh and runs from 10 inches above the knee to 3 inches below, and is very colorful....I guess this is where the blood ran to.

Looks like, new fork, stem, HB's, front shifters/hoods and cables at a minimum as well as a complete testing of frame, replacement of at least one tube and some paint work. As to me, I'll be riding by Sunday.

Lucky.....damn lucky.

Len

PS, thanks for all the nice thoughts....they mean alot.

bulliedawg
09-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Len:

I for one would love to see photos, if it doesn't pain you too much. The Starbucks napkin photo was one of the most dramatic moments in Forum history. Your crash might supplant it.

djg
09-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Glad you're basically ok. For all the overblown praise about art and perfection in bike frames on this board, it's well to remember that even a great frame is a replaceable, manufactured piece of sports equipment. As the carbo chip hucksters say: crunch all you want, they'll make more. You, on the other hand, are the only one of yourself around.

I like the outer banks a lot, but the weekend coming and going traffic can be a nightmare around Duck. Hope you're not too banged up to enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Ahneida Ride
09-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Yup, I echo Smiley, the bike is replaceable, you are not.

AMEN !!!!!

Heal well my friend and dream about you new bike !!!!

God Bless !!!!!

Dekonick
09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Wow. You get a perfect '10' in my book. GLad you are ok!

Most important is that you arent seriously hurt -

Also important is that you can replace your Bike (with new Record!!!) - Imagine how much worse it could have been - for example - if you were riding your beloved Hors Categorie, that you can not replace!

Good thing you had your helmet eh?

And - again - good to know you walked away.

BEN _ BRING BACK THE DKS!!! Pleeaaaaase!!!!!!!!

Len J
09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
I'll post pictures when I get back to a DSL.

Len

Dekonick
09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Whatever you do: take alot of pics - also get pics of your injuries! (I hate the whole lawyer thing too, but you gotta make sure you at least recover your bike at its prime! Dont let them depreciate it as it is a CUSTOM job, and you can't just go 'replace' it with another used Ottrott - unless you have a twin who is selling theirs...and their specs were the same...

Again - Damn glad you are ok.

:cool:

Tony Edwards
09-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Wow - some story! I'm glad you're OK, and you were lucky to have a witness with some clout. Sometimes liability can get a little hazy in these situations, so it's nice to have an open-and-shut case.

Definitely make sure your interests are protected - her insurance company will, I can almost guarantee, be a little stunned that a bike can be so expensive!

Congrats on being a lucky guy, and acrobatic crasher!

Sandy
09-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Len,

You are indeed very fortunate, considering the nature of the accident, and the horrific possibilities. Mend completely and soon. You have to be in tip top shape for next year's Serotta Weekend, so you will have no excuses when I kick your butt, especially climbing the hills.

Dreaming or hallucinating in Serotta Land,

Sandy