PDA

View Full Version : Can I.... (crankset question)

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 03:09 PM
edit:
new question-

The Bottom Bracket.

The current crankset is Shimano 600, but since it is 8 speed it can't stay because everything else I'm putting on is 10 spd. So I'll take the cranks off. The bb is square taper. Will it also work with a Campagnolo double chain ring? or do I need to order a new BB too?

Total Cycling has 170 campy chorus cranksets from '03 @ a steal right now since they changed to the Ultra Torque system, so it seems like that is the best option... but not if I have to buy a bottom bracket too?

The bottom bracket in there reads "Race Face 375-247"
Actually, to my eye, the crank arms look pretty far out from the bike. Is this a triple bb? The guy I bought this bike from was heavy into MTBing, is it for a triple mtb crankset?

Am I asking too many questions?? I don't know much about bottom brackets unfortunatelymo

thanks!

e-RICHIE
03-28-2008, 03:13 PM
just do it atmo.

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 03:13 PM
i'll take that as a yes?
tell me more?

e-RICHIE
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
i'll take that as a yes?
tell me more?
there is no more.
put the crank on and ridemo.

Big Dan
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Save more. Ride with no crank...

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
there is no more.
put the crank on and ridemo.

so the shimano FD will work just fine with the campagnolo crank and shimano chain? That was my biggest question I guess...

gdw
03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Using a campy crankset will throw off the bike's balance and it won't plane.

Hardlyrob
03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Do it - been riding a Campy crank and FD with Shimano RD and casette for a while - works great.

Why can't we all just get along?

R

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I should get the campy FD to go with the crankset?

How much does the FD matter in this case?

e-RICHIE
03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I should get the campy FD to go with the crankset?

How much does the FD matter in this case?
it doesn't matter.
just do it.
send twizzlers atmo.

chrisroph
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
just don't use a campy left side crank arm and a shimano right, or vice versa, or will vice versa work richie?

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
it doesn't matter.
just do it.
send twizzlers atmo.

but you sent me twizzlers! and I ate them!
I can't send you what I've eaten...

Well, I could, but I like you too much

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
The Bottom Bracket.

The current crankset is Shimano 600, but since it is 8 speed it can't stay because everything else I'm putting on is 10 spd. So I'll take the cranks off. The bb is square taper. Will it also work with a Campagnolo double chain ring? or do I need to order a new BB too?

Total Cycling has 170 campy chorus cranksets from '03 @ a steal right now since they changed to the Ultra Torque system, so it seems like that is the best option... but not if I have to buy a bottom bracket too?

Actually, to my eye, the crank arms look pretty far out from the bike. Is this a triple bb? The guy I bought this bike from was heavy into MTBing, is it for a triple mtb crankset?

Am I asking too many questions?? I don't know much about bottom brackets unfortunatelymo

thanks!

gdw
03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
That model Ultegra crankset used a 113mm spindle while square tapered Campy Chorus cranks used 102mm. Measure the Race Face to see if it is acceptable but it probably will be too wide.

cadence90
03-28-2008, 04:48 PM
The Bottom Bracket.

Total Cycling has 170 campy chorus cranksets from '03 @ a steal right now since they changed to the Ultra Torque system, so it seems like that is the best option... but not if I have to buy a bottom bracket too? Yes.
When using Campagnolo crank arms you must use a Campagnolo bottom bracket.
Campagnolo = ISO square taper spindle.
Shimano = JIS square taper spindle.

You cannot use Campagnolo chainrings on Shimano crankarms. The BCD is 135mm versus 130mm.

thanks!For a double Campagnolo square taper crankset (Chorus or Record crankarms), the BB spindle length is 102mm.
Centaur/Veloce crankarms require a 113mm spindle I believe (might be 111mm).
I suggest a visit to your LBS.

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I think I've got everything sorted out at this point.
It just got a little confusing trying to mix/match everything...

My LBS was no help, I was there earlier today :)

Gettin' educated

itsflantastic
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
The easiest thing to do would be to swap out 170 crank arms on my 10sp Ultegra crankset, but I can't seem to find crank arms for sale anywhere

RudAwkning
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
If the bottom bracket is too wide for the crankset, the set screws on your front der. may not allow for it to swing out far enough to shift to the large ring. When all else fails, take it to your LBS. If anything they recommend doesn't work, they're accountable and your're not stuck with a chest full of parts.