PDA

View Full Version : woman's saddle recommendation?

tch
09-07-2004, 10:24 PM
I know, I know, saddles are a PERSONAL thing.... That said, my significant other is looking for relief. Any specific recommendations? She is currently on an old Cannondale woman's model. Do the cut-outs really work? Is wider better, or worse? Is Terry or a big name really that different than Performance or Nashbar house brand? Thoughts?

M_A_Martin
09-07-2004, 10:54 PM
With the women's saddles out there it really is a really personal choice. I currently have the Terry Butterfly (ti) on all of my bikes. I can't ride all of Terry's saddles because a few of them just hit me wrong.
I also prefer a narrower saddle than the Butterfly...however for overall comfort I've stuck with the butterfly, it works for me for now.

If you have a bike shop in the area with a decent selection of Terry saddles (I forget which brand makes Terry...San Marco? Whoever it is uses nicer stuff on the Terrys...and I think it does make a difference) take an hour or so and have her test ride a herd of them. No, she won't figure out which one is a good century saddle, however she might just find one that she can tolerate better than her current saddle.

Make sure her bike fits her. If she's rolling forward on soft tissue, no saddle in the world is going to be comfortable...just different shades of uncomfortable.

If its her sitbones that are the problem, a properly broken in Brooks is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on. I might go back to that now that I have a bike that fits correctly!

Smiley
09-08-2004, 06:39 AM
My last client ( Rapid Tourist ) laughed at me when I suggested a Brooks , She called Bill Laine at WALLBIKE.COM and she's not laughing anymore, she owns two and counting. Seriously my wife loves her Terry Butterfly and I can't say enough about sit bone placement when it comes to bike fit and Brooks hits this problem on the SPOT. With Bill Laine you have limited risk with his money back assurance if not satisfied. Good luck to her.

Too Tall
09-08-2004, 06:48 AM
"One day at band camp...." ;) At a recent race camp I attended there was a squad of women and every one using the Arrione.
On their bikes, you PERVERTS!

Ahneida Ride
09-08-2004, 08:53 AM
B67 S

www.wallbike.com

It's how I spell relief !

M_A_Martin
09-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Take a good look at the Arrione...why oh why did they have to put those two seams all the way down the middle of the saddle. I tried to like it, but I think it sucks. Comfortable on the sit bones, but that front is just uncomfortable.

(but then I'm not a racer girl who got a deal on the saddle either...)

zap
09-08-2004, 09:28 AM
My wife has been using Flite saddles for 10+ years now.

Ken Robb
09-08-2004, 11:07 AM
I love my B17 collection and so put one on Wife Leslie's CSi. After lots of experimentation with tilt I got it tolerable but it still crushed her parts. I took a flyer and bought her a Womens model with cut-out Performance brand. It was marked down from $39.95 to $20 so what the heck, I'm a big spender. She loves it. I bought a second one planning to put it on her next bike. They are $17.95 in the current Performance catalog and you can return them if they don't work for you. FWIW, it is a miserably uncomfortable saddle for me.

Kevan
09-08-2004, 11:16 AM
from Performance this morning a Terry men's fly for $99.

This is my last attempt to finding comfort the fast way. Next purchase goes directly to a Brooks. Hey Smiley, how'z that new fangle Swall'r saddle workin' for you? Worth the do-ra-me? :D

Smiley
09-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Kevan , you got no kahonas to put a Brooks on that Calfee ( admit it you weight freak ) , besides you'll never be able to show your face at a Calfee get together with a Brooks on that Luna .

4 Brooks Saddles so far :

Swallow on the Hors
B17 N on the TiMAx
B17 on the Co-Mo tandem
Swift on the fixee

I wish I could afford another Swallow , great saddle and great looks too .