PDA

View Full Version : Cadel Evans . . .

BumbleBeeDave
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Hmm . . . Looks like "Mr. Boring" may have been listening when everyone was looking at his racing style and telling him, "Hey, You're MISTER BORING!"

BBD

=================

Evans grabs lead at Settimana
By Andrew Hood
Posted Mar. 27, 2008

Cadel Evans’ remarkable spring campaign continued when the Australian doubled Thursday at Italy’s Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali both winning the stage and claiming the overall leader’s jersey.

The Silence-Lotto captain, fresh off winning atop Mont Ventoux at Paris-Nice earlier this month, drove home a solo victory 32 seconds ahead of overnight leader Stefano Garzelli (Aqua e Sapone) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas), who came through second and third in the 189km stage.

Evans takes control of the five-day Italian stage race with a 23-second lead to Garzelli and 1:19 to Nibali, who slotted in for third place.

Michael Barry (High Road) featured in the day’s early breakaway as five riders pulled away about 40km into the stage. The peloton slowly upped the pace to neutralize the move going into the decisive climb at Cat. 1 Monte Barigazzo with 13km to go.

Garzelli, Niklas Axelsson (Serramenti Pvc Diquigiovanni), Evans and Nibali gapped the field on the steep climb, but Evans attacked with 8km to go to drop everyone in the group and solo in for the double.

The race continues Friday with the 184.4km fourth stage from Rio Saliceto to Finale Emilia that favors the sprinters.

pdxmech13
03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
maybe he's actually able to attack the others now.

Simon Q
03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
He isn't doing much wrong so far this year.

His progression over the last for years has been very steady, if not stellar. This year could see another step again. It may be that now he finally has that extra gear to stick the knife in whereas before he was at his limit when others were attacking. I think people would be hard pressed to say that he leaves much in the tank when he is racing.

As for reacting to criticism, quite possibly but he won almost every reader poll that I saw last year so he couldn't feel too unloved racing the way he did last year.

Simon Q
03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
maybe he's actually able to attack the others now.
Beat me to it!

thinpin
03-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Its a bit hard to look flash when you're chasin "enhanced" types! Evans is probable one of the few clean cyclists in the peleton....that makes him interesting for me!

Darrell
03-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Its a bit hard to look flash when you're chasin "enhanced" types! Evans is probable one of the few clean cyclists in the peleton....that makes him interesting for me!

Wiggins is another

PS. I have worked {mechanico} five ring gigs and worlds and CG games etc etc with Cadel and I reckon he is fair dinkum

soulspinner
03-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Even Garzelli, thought washed up, has been going well. Lets here it for young Mr Barry too.

harlond
03-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Its a bit hard to look flash when you're chasin "enhanced" types! Evans is probable one of the few clean cyclists in the peleton....that makes him interesting for me!People say this often. What's the basis for this claim?

thinpin
03-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Fair point. Well in-so-far as anyone can tell the there is not even smoke never mind fire and I'll refer you to Darrells post #6. Insider-ish

Big Daddy
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
People say this often. What's the basis for this claim?

the layman's perspective is, that he is so consistent with his racing/placings. he never could get over the top of the placing next to some questionable individuals. he was tagged early as a tour winner because of his mtn bike prowess and could climb with the front groups. he had a lot of pressure to fill Phil Anderson's mullet, errr shoes. the guy is a good bike racer and by all looks on the outside looking in, he has been "clean". I just don't have the deep PRO-Tour contacts to get anymore. (not yet, right swoop?)

swoop
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM

um.... i wouldn't bet the farm.

jmewkill
03-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Wiggins is another

PS. I have worked {mechanico} five ring gigs and worlds and CG games etc etc with Cadel and I reckon he is fair dinkum

Was that for the road or mountain?

I hope he does well. The pressure this year will be intense.

coylifut
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
how can anyone declare that someone is a "clean" cyclist? Phil Ligget has been declaring each and every tour "the cleanest in years" only to have a big name be named. And don't get your panies in a waaaad I'm not saying Cadel is dirty. Everyone thought Tyler was clean before he somehow ended up with the someone else's blood in his veins.

72gmc
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
how can anyone declare that someone is a "clean" cyclist?

Is this the victory of the propaganda wrought by Dickie Pound and Travis Tygart and the ethically-challenged people on the other side of the doping fight? I wouldn't trust them if their lab results said the sky was blue. When you can't really trust anyone, a certain suspension of disbelief is the only way to keep the dopers and the anti-doping authorities from completely destroying the sport....

Big Daddy
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Everyone thought Tyler was clean before he somehow ended up with the someone else's blood in his veins.

Tyler's blood was clean, Tugboat's was dirty. The canine blood filter.

Darrell
03-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Was that for the road or mountain?

I hope he does well. The pressure this year will be intense.

Aussie road team at the big gigs.
Also when he was a youngun at the Australian Intsitute of Sport, before signing to a team, he was MTB then but I did not work MTB races.
He had impressiove numbers in the lab back then!

I have nothing or seen anything to doubt him, but a lot to back up that he is fair dinkum.
I also know of the Gazelli hiccup at the Giro and the secruity we had about the food and drink that went into Cadel at big gigs when he had the Aussie colours on.
Watch him in the Beijing TT.

Darrell
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Me at work at in Manchester (http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/My-work-with-the-AIS-and-National-teams/aab)Some TT stars
in the lab (http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/My-work-with-the-AIS-and-National-teams/aac)
here (http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/Trainingergo/aae)
I know of some dodgy Aussie pros, well really they are doing what all most of hitters are doing, many I know are on the dark side, some may have crossed to the dark side since I knew them, maybe some will cross to the dark side soon. I am out of the loop more as I want to stay home. I skipped China this year.

coylifut
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Is this the victory of the propaganda wrought by Dickie Pound and Travis Tygart and the ethically-challenged people on the other side of the doping fight? I wouldn't trust them if their lab results said the sky was blue. When you can't really trust anyone, a certain suspension of disbelief is the only way to keep the dopers and the anti-doping authorities from completely destroying the sport....

you're right. doping has never been nor is it now a problem in cycling. Dickie simply has a beef with a clean sport. There should be no cloud of suspicion over anyone currently involved and especially Cadel's current competition. Instead of saying "bravo Cadel, doing great as a clean cyclist." I say "bravo Cadel, doing great. I hope he's a clean cyclist."

Darrell
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
you're right. doping has never been nor is it now a problem in cycling. Dickie simply has a beef with a clean sport. There should be no cloud of suspicion over anyone currently involved and especially Cadel's current competition. Instead of saying "bravo Cadel, doing great as a clean cyclist." I say "bravo Cadel, doing great. I hope he's a clean cyclist."

I hope he and a few others have not crossed to the dark side. I keep some faith in a few.
As a famous wise man said
"Live an honourable life and when you look back on it, you can enjoy it all over again"

e-RICHIE
03-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I hope he and a few others have not crossed to the dark side. I keep some faith in a few.

we have a lad from the bay state about whom
we had hoped the same thingmo atmo.

72gmc
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
you're right....

I simply think that neither side has proven trustworthy, so why not continue to believe that some riders are clean? This far down the rabbit hole, nothing is certain, and optimism is still worth hanging on to.

We should be debating this over beer and madness. :beer:

coylifut
03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I simply think that neither side has proven trustworthy, so why not continue to believe that some riders are clean? This far down the rabbit hole, nothing is certain, and optimism is still worth hanging on to.

We should be debating this over beer and madness. :beer:

I'm not a cynic. I do believe some riders are clean and I have no reason to suspect Cadel. I like Darrell's take on the matter. Yeah, I could use a beer.
:beer:

72gmc
03-29-2008, 10:51 AM
My initial response was supposed to read as "mock incredulous" rather than an attack... sorry Coy. I also agree with Darrell, though I have to confess I'm predisposed to agree with someone who builds frames like that!