PDA

View Full Version : You never know...

Tom Robison
09-07-2004, 09:04 PM
An aquaintance from work was killed this weekend while preparing for a triathalon. It's sad when something like this happens to someone we don't know. Worse when it happens to someone you do. Here's the story from the Ventura County Star.

Camarillo man thrown from bicycle dies from injuries
September 7, 2004

A 37-year-old Camarillo man riding alone died after he fell from a bicycle early Monday morning in the Santa Rosa Road area west of Thousand Oaks.

Michael Levine was spotted on the side of Vista Grande near Sunny Lane by an off-duty firefighter passing by the area about 7:20 a.m., officials said.

Levine apparently was riding downhill and hit a curb. The impact threw him off the bicycle, California Highway Patrol Officer Steve Reid said. He apparently was wearing a helmet but was unconscious when the firefighter found him.

Paramedics took Levine to Los Robles Regional Medical Center in Thousand Oaks, where he was pronounced dead.

Coroner officials said an autopsy is scheduled for today.

Kurt
09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
my heart goes out to you and the family. Close to the same thing happened to me 1 week ago, one of my main riding buddies hit a car head-on @ 35+ and has been in the ICU ever since. Life is bittersweet.

Jeff N.
09-08-2004, 08:24 AM
I don't think most of us give much thought to how deadly dangerous this little obsession of ours is. At least until we hear of accidents like this happening. I always say a little prayer before I go out on a ride. So far it has worked. Jeff N.

Tom Robison
09-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Mr. Levine died from a blunt force trauma to the chest, which in my mind seems a bit strange for a bike rider. Head injury would be a much more common cause of death.

I do know the area he was riding and it is really, really steep. The only thing I can think happened was he was bulleting down the road and had a front blow out and careened into the curb, smacking his chest on the stem. Or he hit gravel or the like and had the same fate. But that doesn't seem like it would turn out someone's lights. Since he was alone, we'll never know.

Tom

Dekonick
09-08-2004, 08:03 PM
I am sorry to hear about your friends death.

As an added note - We had another serious bicycle v.s. car yesterday - the patient was seriously injured, and taken to Shock Trauma. To add insult to injury, ieven f they are able to recover, their bike was trashed. The frame was buckled on the top tube (what can you expect from a beer can bike - even that famous C one...) the Kryseriums were bent... etc. The helmet was UNSCRATCHED!!!

I dont know...seems like too many of us are being used like roadkill for my liking.

Please be safe out there! I know I am guilty of flying down some roads (hey - I am slow most places, so I like to go fast when I can... and the Hors Cat just really likes to descend...) I think I am gonna be a little more conservative now. I always worry about cars, but never gave a whole lot of thought to curbs/tree's/other large immobile objects.

:(