PDA

View Full Version : Miami Riding?

Joel
03-27-2008, 04:41 PM
For all those down south,

I have a meeting at the Marriott Doral Country Club next week (over by MIA). Since I'm driving down from Orlando, I was thinking of tossing the fixie in the trunk.

If time permits I may head over to the track and knock out a few laps.

If time gets limited, do any of you Miami folks know if there are any good areas to ride in that part of town? I have a good chunk of time on Tuesday that might be carved out (pending meetings don't take over). I seem to recall that part of town not being too stellar for riding...

Otherwise, any reco's on places to ride that would require further driving...although I'd really rather just ride from the hotel.

Many thanks!

Joel

Avispa
03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
If time gets limited, do any of you Miami folks know if there are any good areas to ride in that part of town?l

Absolutely NOT!

Miami has very limited decent riding areas. The closest to where you will be staying (MIA) is Key Biscayne, but I would not ride from MIA to the Key even if you paid me!

Best thing is drive to the Key and park the car...

..A..

GoJavs
03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I usually ride near that area on weekends (early) when most of the trouble is asleep. Weekdays I have a couple of loops I do, but they all involve moments of trouble (i.e. oncoming 60mph South American soccer moms on cellphones and botox). For a noobie to the city, on a weekday, Key Biscayne is about it.

dave1215
03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
i was in south beach last week and saw groups of serious cyclists training early in the morning down collins avenue every day. there seems to be some good cycling (other than beach cruisers) around but only at off peak traffic times.

Big Dan
03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Absolutely NOT!

Miami has very limited decent riding areas. The closest to where you will staying (MIA) is Key Biscayne, but I would not ride from MIA to the Key even if you paid me!

Best thing is drive to the Key and park the car...

..A..

Come on A. We used to ride up US27 after Hurricane Andrew...
It was mellow.....

:eek:

J.Greene
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
I'll be racing over by the airport Sunday afternoon. I think Sat we have a race over a mountain of trash in Davie.

JG

dave1215
03-30-2008, 05:38 PM
is miami riding really as bad as this thread suggests?

:( :( :(

Fixed
03-30-2008, 07:57 PM
maybe laps at the hotel
cheers

Joel
03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Ha! Fixed...just got back from doing three laps at the hotel...the jogging trail. 3 x 2.5 miles. Not a bad workout...only had to dodge the golf carts :p

Glad I didn't bring the bike. Avispa was right with this area is not really very good for riding.

Joel

FlaRider
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
As a Miami area rider, I agree with all that has been said on this thread. There are essentially two options: Key Biscayne or to ride South to Homestead/Redlands.

J.Greene
03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
As a Miami area rider, I agree with all that has been said on this thread. There are essentially two options: Key Biscayne or to ride South to Homestead/Redlands.

FR,

do you ever mix it up in the rosewood series?

JG

chuckaw
03-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi all, yes it's as bad as the posts indicate. I went to the "U" back in the 90's and tried desperately to find a good place to ride other than the Key but never did. Traffic is awful, the drivers worse and the roads don't go anywhere that you really want to ride anyway.

Stick to the Key, I remember banging out 100 miles rides having to do the loop what seemed like a million times. One good thing is there is a little cafe cubano stand at the end of the key that will keep you going.

The best riding in FLA is north up near Ocala, gainsville and Tallahassee.

FlaRider
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
FR,

do you ever mix it up in the rosewood series?

JG

Yep, I raced 35+ and Pro/1/2/3 at Rosewoods a couple of years ago. Decided to hang up the race bike for the time being, as I have been obsessed with triathlon (bring on the tri geek jokes :) ).

Do you know if there will be a cross race in South Florida in the fall? I would LOVE to give that a try.

Thanks.

xjoex
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I had planned on riding from Key Largo down to Bahia Honda with a trailer to do some camping next month, but everyone says riding down RT 1 sucks ass. Now just planning on driving.

Should I reconsider and try to do the ride?

-Joe

J.Greene
03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
I had planned on riding from Key Largo down to Bahia Honda with a trailer to do some camping next month, but everyone says riding down RT 1 sucks ass. Now just planning on driving.

-Joe

I've never done the ride but have driven it many times. I'd be worried about the hundreds(or thousands) of boats that get trailered to the keys every morning to fish.

JG

Avispa
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM

-Joe

Bro,

Take your trailer and park it anywhere in Key Largo and/or south of it and then ride up and down the Keys all you want. There has been in a lot of improvements to the roads down there, including the addition of shoulders*, etc.

But under NO circumstances ever ride your bike on US1 on your way to Key Largo from South Dade County.

That's what I think.

..A..

PS
*note I said shoulders, not bike lanes! These FL shoulders tend to be nice and wide for a couple of miles, then suddenly disappear on you, leaving you with 3 inches of space by the white line.

ericspin
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Bro,

Take your trailer and park it anywhere in Key Largo and/or south of it and then ride up and down the Keys all you want. There has been in a lot of improvements to the roads down there, including the addition of shoulders*, etc.

But under NO circumstances ever ride your bike on US1 on your way to Key Largo from South Dade County.

That's what I think.

..A..

PS
*note I said shoulders, not bike lanes! These FL shoulders tend to be nice and wide for a couple of miles, then suddenly disappear on you, leaving you with 3 inches of space by the white line.

If you're going south from Mia to Key Largo, how 'bout Card Sound road? We did that in the MS 150 and I thought it was kinda fun.