PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Derailleur RD-M580 SGS LX

BURCH
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
So, I had to replace my rear derailleur after this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42402) happened.

I ordered up a new LX derailleur and last night before I had to go somewhere I threw it on just to get the job started. I was surprised to find the the shifting is reversed. Pushing the thumb shifter does the opposite of what it used to do. I have to go back to tonight to read the manual and double check my work to make sure I didn't do somethign stupid. I looked today, but I can't find anything on the web saying that they reversed the way the derailleur would operate. I have built up mtn bikes before so I have to assume it isn't me. Can anybody confirm this change?

Here is the product (http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441770685&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302039947&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1206650805218)

Louis
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Low normal vs high normal?

BURCH
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Low normal vs high normal?

Not sure what you are asking, but to further explain my quandry.

What I am used to happening:
1) Pushing the thumb shifter used to shift me into higher gears for climbing
2) Pulling on the finger trigger shifter used to shift me into lower gears for downhills.

Now that is reversed, when I hit the thumb tab it shifts into higher gears.

Louis
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
There are two types of R-der, High-normal and Low-normal. Can't remember which is which, but in one style pulling the cable causes the der to move to the bigger cog (old "normal" style) and in the other pulling the cable will cause the der to move to a smaller cog.

BURCH
03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Ahh, never even knew there was such an option. The order slip says Low-Normal...so, I guess that I was expecting normal-low.

I think that I can get used to this shifting. It seems to make more sense to use the finger trigger to get higher gears. Thanks.

BURCH
03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
by searching the web for low high, I found this:

"Shimano has long been the favorite for many cyclists, especially those riding off-road. Until recently, Low Normal (now I will refer to as Rapid Rise) was saved for XTR geeks and those that knew its magical power. It was around 2004 that Shimano started to phase in Rapid Rise to the lower levels of its mountain derailleurs..."

"The magic of Rapid Rise is that it is considered “low normal” this means that the derailleur’s spring is closed in the low position (this is the low speed gear, the largest gear in your cassette). The reason I am SO in love with rapid rise is because it works for me when going up hills.

The magic of Rapid Rise is that it is considered “low normal” this means that the derailleur’s spring is closed in the low position (this is the low speed gear, the largest gear in your cassette). The reason I am SO in love with rapid rise is because it works for me when going up hills.

"On a normal rise, when shifting down to an easier gear, you push the derailleur, against its spring, to an easier spring. With Rapid Rise, when going up a hill, dog tired, you press your shifter and the spring pulls the chain to an easier gear. This, on many shifters can be the difference in pulling your forefinger 3cm, helped by a spring, or 10cm against a spring. I know personally, this is a huge help, especially when I’ve been riding for over an hour"