PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Directional Signals

ackra
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello:
Can someone tell me why from a safety stand point there are not more
lighted directional signals used on bikes?

Blue Jays
03-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Because standard hand signals are so darn efficient, visible, recognizable, and lightweight.

swoop
03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
because from a safety standpoint they don't add safety.

you could be in a gorilla costume pointing where you want to go and peeing flames and if the driver doesn't expect to see you or is multi tasking.. you simple aren't visible.

fiamme red
03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leahbuechley/2326630769/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2326630769_ff90e3345f_m.jpg

big shanty
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Because standard hand signals are so darn efficient, visible, recognizable, and lightweight.

I was driving my car last night, and a cyclist in front of me signaled a right turn. It got me to thinking, are hand signals such as a right turn hand singal really as recognizable as you state? I would venture that there are a good number of distracted 17-year-old drivers out there who have no f'in clue what a right hand turn signal by a cyclist means. I usually cheat and point....I don't take drivers' knowledge of traditional hand singals for granted.

Louis
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
The signal issue for me is whether I should do the "old style automotive" thing and use my left arm for all signals, or use my right arm for right turns and my left arm for left turns.

The main reason lights won't work is that the bike is just not wide enough to allow a driver to figure out if you are turning right or left. Maybe if you strapped a 5 foot long 2x4 to the back and put a light on each end they could tell, but short of that, you're wasting your time.

Big Daddy
03-27-2008, 03:08 PM
..|..

swoop
03-27-2008, 03:10 PM
..|..

hey big daddy.. congrats on signing merckx.

BURCH
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I point delibrately with my the arm and hand in the direction that I am pointing. I too believe not many motorist have any idea what a left hand in the miss america position means. Anyone can figure out what you mean if you are pointing with you right hand to the right.

Besides weren't those hand signals for drivers that could only use their left hand to signal?

MarleyMon
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
... I usually cheat and point....I don't take drivers' knowledge of traditional hand singals for granted.
Yup, I point and wave a little.

Louis
03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I too use both arms, but I think (not 100% sure) that in some states THE LAW says that motorcyclists have to use the left arm only. I would imagine that officially they would require cyclists to do the same thing moto guys do.

Bradford
03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd like to put turning signals on my Legend, but they were would I put the mirrors? :crap:

BumbleBeeDave
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I usually cheat and point....I don't take drivers' knowledge of traditional hand singals for granted.

Given the way I've seen so many people drive, I don't take driver's knowledge of ANYTHING for granted! :eek: :crap:

BBD

chuckred
03-27-2008, 03:51 PM
same reason there aren't backup lights, brake lights, a horn and headlights standard...?

Blue Jays
03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
* Left turns are signaled by outstretching left arm and pointing.
* Right turns are signaled by outstretching right arm and pointing.
* Stops are signaled by extending left arm downward at approximately 45* angle with palm facing to the rear.

big shanty
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
* Left turns are signaled by outstretching left arm and pointing.
* Right turns are signaled by outstretching right arm and pointing.
* Stops are signaled by extending left arm downward at approximately 45* angle with palm facing to the rear.

*Straight ahead is signaled with a 'tomahawk chop' motion

M.Sommers
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Drivers of cars don't know hand signals from UFO signals; people today only know what show Britney will be on, if she's sober, the latest jeans to wear, how many minutes they have on their cell plans and that pollution is making dirty air.

ride a bike = you're on your own.

Blue Jays
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
"...Straight ahead is signaled with a 'tomahawk chop' motion..."A tomahawk chop is kind of like "putting the hammer down" so that works.
Reverse is indicated by shaking both hands in the air like a 1920's flapper! :D

BumbleBeeDave
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Drivers of cars don't know hand signals from UFO signals;

I go on logic and just point with my arm. Is driver's ed even required anywhere anymore? When I was in high school in the 70's (that's the NINETEEN-seventies) it was required. My daughter just graduated and it was done by lottery and costs something like $350. Yeah, we got her in there, but it really makes me wonder how many kids actually have any competent driving instruction these days.

Just re-read the above--Man do I sound OLD! almost as bad as Ahneida railing about FRN's! :rolleyes:

BBD

Ahneida Ride
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Just re-read the above--Man do I sound OLD! almost as bad as Ahneida railing about FRN's! :rolleyes:

BBD

Nobody is that bad. !

5 frn a gallon gas is a comming ....

Fixed
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I was driving my car last night, and a cyclist in front of me signaled a right turn. It got me to thinking, are hand signals such as a right turn hand singal really as recognizable as you state? I would venture that there are a good number of distracted 17-year-old drivers out there who have no f'in clue what a right hand turn signal by a cyclist means. I usually cheat and point....I don't take drivers' knowledge of traditional hand singals for granted.
it ani't a car bro they bend the elbow cos you can't reach out the right window .
point with right hand for a right turn ..point with left hand if you wnat to turn left i use other hand signs too
cheers

Big Daddy
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
hey big daddy.. congrats on signing merckx.
shhhhhhhhhhh

DRZRM
03-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I actually only use the automotive signals with my left hand, I only have a front brake on my fixie, and I run it on the right side, so I can control the bike with my right and always signal with my left. Sometimes on group rides I feel a bit out of step (most people use the hand they are pointing towards) but I feel in better control, on a geared bike or fixie, to keep my right hand on the bars.

sspielman
03-28-2008, 06:19 AM
I hear that New Jersey is going to REQUIRE them on all bikes...as soon as they outlaw quick release skewers...and then they will initiate legislation to require air horns on all bikes....

William
03-28-2008, 06:51 AM
I just point….....and use a bullhorn.

http://www.kk.org/streetuse/Bullhornbike.jpg

HEY!! I’M TURNING LEFT!!!

SEE, OVER THERE!!!!

IS THAT EFFIN OK WITH YOU?!?!?!

Seems to work just fine.

William

Chad Engle
03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I tried peeing fire in the direction I was turning, it doesn't work, Swoop is right.

Cheat and point the direction you are turning with the arm located on the appropriate side of the body.

Have a nice weekend all.

toaster
03-28-2008, 07:41 AM
It's not hand signals, it's body language that works. That means you have to point in the direction you want to go, look back like you mean it, and have an expression on your face like "don't even think about fcuking with me". Then the average motorist gets itmo.

sr51
03-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I prefer the bent, left arm signal because I believe it is more visible. It is up high and, being on my left side, out in front of traffic.

Some motorists may not understand the signal but I think they're more likely to see that I'm about to do something.

benb
03-28-2008, 08:51 AM
They have to be 12" apart or something to work.. it's actually in the motorcycle code.

However in many states turn signals are not required on a motorcycle and even on some antique cars. But car drivers are still supposed to know the signals.. if your turn signals in the car fail you are supposed to switch to hand signals to get home or get the car in for repair.

You have to use your left hand on a motorcycle as the throttle snaps shut if you let go with your right hand. You could pull in the clutch with your left hand and then signal a right turn with your right hand but that goes against everything ever taught on proper motorcycle technique.

You want fun ride a 1950s or earlier motorcycle.. both hand grips are engine controls.. the left grip is the spark advance and the right hand is the throttle.. and a lot of those didn't have turn signals at all. Left foot is the clutch, left hand is required to operate the shifter! (Some are reversed too of course!)

I do usually use my right hand to signal a right turn on my bicycle.. but I keep the left turn and stop signals per the law. When I ride my motorcycle I sometimes use both the turn signal and a hand signal to get the point across. When motorcycling in a large group it's extremely common to use the hand signals when moving around in the lane.. just like bicycling in a pack.

CarbonCycles
03-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm with the camp that states most ppl (including police) have no friggin clue what hand signals mean. Sad state of affairs when you are signaling and the idiot behind you thinks your either challenging him or flippin them off

Obligatory perverted banana dance included :banana:

swoop
03-28-2008, 02:56 PM
shhhhhhhhhhh

hey big daddy, i love that you fine the guys 200 bucks if they pull out and don't finish!

jimp1234
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Maybe rapha could incorporate semaphore turn signals (like the one in 50's vintage Volkswagens) in their apparel?

Louis
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe rapha could incorporate semaphore turn signals (like the one in 50's vintage Volkswagens) in their apparel?

Cool. Is the VW version electro-mechanical, or all mechanical?

jimp1234
03-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Err... I think electro-mechanical... are you implying that rapha in order to be truely retro would need to do likewise???

Cool. Is the VW version electro-mechanical, or all mechanical?

Grant McLean
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
It's not hand signals, it's body language that works. That means you have to point in the direction you want to go, look back like you mean it, and have an expression on your face like "don't even think about fcuking with me". Then the average motorist gets itmo.

+1

that's my standard left turn procedure.
right turns, I really don't care if the motorists see a signal,
or if i signal the turn anyway. i'm gone. they don't care
cause i'm not "in their way" anymore...

-g

rwsaunders
03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Universal hand signals.

http://www.bikerworlds.com/groups/?id=357&link=view_topic&topic_id=5025&group_id=357