PDA

View Full Version : OT - Watches, just curious...

rsl
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
After deflecting comments from my wife and friends alike about the ratty velcro watchband that I've had on my cheap diver's watch for a couple of years, I've started to wonder about getting a decent watch. It's a purchase that's a ways off, but I'm bored and curious.

What's the "Fierte" of the watch world? That is, something that's well-designed and well-crafted, respected, could stand the test of time, but won't break the bank?

Or, to use a different metaphor, what would be the watchworld's equivalent (if there is one) of the up and coming frame builder?

Thanks!

justinf
03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Sinn, for one.

There are a couple massive watch threads in the archives that you should check out for sure.

Chris
03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
If you like the big diving watch look get the Seiko Monster. Classic look, just big enough to compensate for my other, mmm...shortcomings and a nice durable watch. You will develop a slight to tilt to the left when you walk though.

92degrees
03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Sinn is a good suggestion. Omega SMP is a nice choice too.

WadePatton
03-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I like the Seiko Divers myself--whilst I'm poor. Auto only is my mantra.

I get the Italian rubber deployant clasp bands from some guy in FL (about $20).

z. beeblebrox
03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
hamilton and seiko for automatics

step up a little for the omega quartz if you want something thats dead reliable.

IXXI
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Sinn 657 is way on my radar.

Come on Powerball....

cdimattio
03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
ORIS BC3

Classic design, well-crafted, respected, could stand the test of time and won't break the bank.

A steal if you can locate a lightly used version.

jhcakilmer
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
After deflecting comments from my wife and friends alike about the ratty velcro watchband that I've had on my cheap diver's watch for a couple of years, I've started to wonder about getting a decent watch. It's a purchase that's a ways off, but I'm bored and curious.

What's the "Fierte" of the watch world? That is, something that's well-designed and well-crafted, respected, could stand the test of time, but won't break the bank?

Or, to use a different metaphor, what would be the watchworld's equivalent (if there is one) of the up and coming frame builder?

Thanks!

I think you need to give us a price range since there is a wide range in price on the possible suggestions so far.

My suggestions:
Seiko
Hamilton

For value, and quality, I think any other maker would be hard pressed to beat Seiko. I have a couple, and actually have a couple from my dad, that are over 20 years old, and works great!

I also have a Hamilton Khaki that I bought brand new of ebay for half of retail. It's a very nice watch, and does it's job well. Quality is high, and very accurate, lighter than the Seiko (but I don't mind heavier watches)

My Suunto X6HR I actually probably wear the most, and train with. It's a great all around wristwatch/computer....it has so many functions...altimiter, barometer, temp, heartrate, etc. One downside, is that it goes through batteries like crazy.

I also have a Zodiac (before they were owned by fossil), which is one of my favorite watches, but I've had some reliability issues with it.

Tissot also makes some nice models. They're T-race, and T-touch watches are interesting, and seem to be good quality, but I've never owned one.

A.L.Breguet
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Omega. Best bang for the buck.
Deep pockets? Breguet, of course.

deechee
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
My local watchsmith doesn't like current Seikos. He told me they're pretty crappy these days. Just passing along the info. My dad's Seiko is from the 60's and going strong but he got fed up with maintaining it. Casio Waveceptor is his preference now. I don't know why a retired man needs to-the-second accuracy but anyway...

Jeff N.
03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Check out Nixon watches. Inexpensive and reliable. (nixonnow.com) Jeff N.

maunahaole
03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
+1 on the seiko monster - available for a good price through amazon.

GregL
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I've had the same Seiko stainless flight chronograph for 21 years. It's a bit beat up and it's been through several batteries and crystals, but it still functions perfectly.

Regards,
Greg

Kevan
03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Grrr!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DS46ZH2HL._AA280_.jpg

sailorboy
03-27-2008, 01:56 PM
+1 on seiko, except look into getting a Japanese market version called grand seiko. They are produced in Japan unlike most seikos for sale in the states, and a few Japanese retailers will ship to the US. Higuchi comes to mind as one but there may be others.

For an mechanical look at any omega co-axial or maybe a german like sinn or stowa

TACSTS
03-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Grrr!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DS46ZH2HL._AA280_.jpg

I'm interested in that same watch! Have you had a Hamilton before? I'm beginning my clinical rotations in May and probably need something a bit nicer than my velcro-strapped Timex. I was considering something from the Hamilton Khaki line because I like how they look and they're in my price range.

malcolm
03-27-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=209
or
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=379

Kevan
03-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm interested in that same watch! Have you had a Hamilton before? I'm beginning my clinical rotations in May and probably need something a bit nicer than my velcro-strapped Timex. I was considering something from the Hamilton Khaki line because I like how they look and they're in my price range.

The Hamilton line is really handsome and I like the simple features of this watch. It might take me another month or so to find this particular watch at a good price and I'm trying hard to be patient.

dbrk
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I like that many of the Sinn dials look like Panerai, which is, to my eye, the easiest and most pleasant of all watches to read. Sinns are Fiertes to Panerai's...I dunno, Ottrott? The most expensive Panerais are near-Meivicis but the real Meivicis are things like Breguet, Patek, JLC on the high end.

Honestly, unless you want to geek the insides (I like to do this, though the cost of real watch geekdom is serious dollars), I think that if you like the look of a watch then the only question regarding its mechanicals is function. After all, a Lange tells the same time as a Seiko. If you're under 2K and the company has a stand up rep, well, they pretty much all work the same, so pick what simply appeals to you. Like in bicycles, only a few companies make the components for all of these watch assemblers and designers. So much is left to looks and the complications.

I really like Justin's Sinn. But if you wanted to spring (really spring) for, say, a Panerai 176, well, that's a different league in price.

I don't buy watches to sell or much to compare. I just like what I like. I wear a Panerai most days because the big dial means I can see the time even when I'm not wearing my glasses. I wear a Bell&Ross BR-1 instrumental panel style on the bike because it's big and easy to wear. I have my lovely old Omega that my parents gave me and a Breguet I almost never wear because I rarely dress that nice anymore! Still, these are all emotional reasons and things that if I couldn't afford, well, I'd use a Timex.

But _practically_ speaking, I like the Omegas better than the Seikos or Citizens, particularly the Seamaster style. Aviation watches are busier than diver watches and I don't need all of that information and don't fancy the distraction any longer. Again, watches like bikes should be easy on my eyes. Some people like more stylish or flashy. I like simplesimple in looks, time only.

So a second for Omegas if you want more to see or for Sinn if you like the minimal, particularly.

dbrk

A.L.Breguet
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
dbrk gets it.

Blue Jays
03-27-2008, 04:03 PM
If enjoying the current thread, you'll also appreciate THIS ONE (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38405) with pictures and many helpful suggestions.

Blue Jays
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Here is ANOTHER ONE (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35869) with lots of content and very handy. Hope that helps a bit.

AgilisMerlin
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Mallard: Swiss

conorb
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Panerai 232

Just classic imho.

http://www.vendettacycles.com/pics/pam232/dsc06822.jpg

To help answer the original question there are lots of brands out there that represent big value for the money in automatic watches. Sinn, Oris, Ocean 7, Hamilton, Doxa, Seiko, Omega, etc., just to name a few. Citizen has an amazing line of handmade watches as well - Campanola - quartz but amazing features and craftsmanship. Depending on your needs/choices there is bound to be make/model that will suit you.

When I was at my local Borders book store the other day I noticed the annual WatchTime Magazine Buyer's Guide is on the magazine rack. That might be a place to start narrowing your choices. For $12.95 it's a good investment in some basic knowledge.

conorb

vjp
03-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I have a Sinn 656 and have been happy with it although it is due for a clean and adjustment. It is the matte stainless with black face and white markings.

I also have a Bell & Ross 120 Vintage series which is a Quartz watch but is nice looking and keeps good time.

Another interesting watch are Ikepod which may or may not be in business anymore. I have a Manatee which is a 24 time zone watch which was great when I traveled a lot internationally but not so great now that I need reading glasses and the designer Marc Newson made the type so VERY tiny.

3chordwonder
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Panerai 232

Just classic imho.

Absolutely! Even the strap is nice.

Elefantino
03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
On my wrist now, the classic Seiko 7T59:

http://www.bobthayerjr.com/wb5apd/Graphics/7t52.jpg

In the on-deck circle, a 20-year-old TAG 2000.

djg21
03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
+1 on seiko, except look into getting a Japanese market version called grand seiko. They are produced in Japan unlike most seikos for sale in the states, and a few Japanese retailers will ship to the US. Higuchi comes to mind as one but there may be others.

For an mechanical look at any omega co-axial or maybe a german like sinn or stowa

Take a look at the Oceanus line too. It's one of Casio's "high-end" brands. They make a titanium chronograph that is solar powered and has an atomic clock receiver. It's a bit more expensive than a Seiko. but it's very nice.

http://www.righttime.com/rt/oceanus/ocwm700tda-1a.htm

musgravecycles
03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
The depth and breadth of knowledge on this board continually astounds me.

My Timex :rolleyes: just broke and I've been looking into a Seiko-diver as a daily wear (I work outside with machinery). For all things Seiko-diver related I've been told Bill Yao is the man. I was digging around on his site and noticed he's come out with his own line. I've been geeking on the MMT (a Benrus clone) as I dig military watches. Is this thing the real deal, Is it worth the up-charge over a Seiko?

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=cd01.htm

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/watches%20main/images%20for%20pages/mmt_t2_mod2a_d1_500.jpg

DRZRM
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Really depends on how you define "breaking the bank." I second the Sinn as a great tool watch, I love my 142 and someday I'll have a 956 Klassik (Creme dial). But when I think classic, well crafted, long lasting and truly respected by most WIS (watch idiot savant) I think Omega. You can generally get a moon watch (which has now twice beaten just about every watch in the world in a test to become and then remain the "official watch of NASA") in the range of $1,600-1,900 (depending if you need box and papers to make you happy), or if you are looking for something a bit simpler (if you don't fancy a lot of chrono sub-dials) I love the Omega Aqua Terra I inherited from my dad, he found it on timezone.com used for just over $1,000 (a good price but not too out of whack with used watch pricing).

That's my Moon watch on the right (I love the Broad Arrow on the left as well)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/P1010257.jpg

And this is a commercial shot of the Seamaster Aqua Terra, as I don't have a pic of mine.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/OmegaAT.jpg

Good luck picking something out, it's the most fun you can have shopping without buying a new bike.

Thanks!

TACSTS
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
What's the consensus on Tissot watches? This thread got me to looking around for the heck of it, and this watch caught my eye. Pretty much in line price wise to the Hamilton Khaki I was thinking about.

sailorboy
03-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Take a look at the Oceanus line too. It's one of Casio's "high-end" brands. They make a titanium chronograph that is solar powered and has an atomic clock receiver. It's a bit more expensive than a Seiko. but it's very nice.

http://www.righttime.com/rt/oceanus/ocwm700tda-1a.htm

Cool; looks like Casio's answer to the seiko Landmaster series, of which I was also fortunate to find used while here in Japan. A neat kinetic movement with a 6-month power reserve, full titanium construction. That's my 'daily grinder' watch. I'm not really into the big chunky divers or busy chronograph types, so the landmaster is a nice sturdy watches that fit the bill for me.

maunahaole
03-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Lots of good choices here. Next in line for me is probably a Seiko Sumo in blue.

pics (http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1187302603)

Steve in SLO
03-28-2008, 12:14 AM

Thanks!

Oh, my. Your wife has made disparaging comments about your watchband.
This is an opening that you should not squander. For watch enthusiasts, this would be like mana from heaven. If there is any other obsessive group of collectors these days that can compare to watch collectors, I know them not.

You've gotten some good advice from the other members, so go out and buy a watch and be happy. If you're like many of us, I can say:
That will be the only watch you'll ever want, I promise.
It'll be the only watch for you, I promise.
Your wife will always be happy she encouraged this, I promise.
You'll never have to hide a purchase from your wife, I promise.

As for the 'up and coming' framebuilders of the watch world, try Jacques Etoile and Jorg Schauer (as well as his Stowa line). All solid watches made by young watchmakers and they won't break the bank--just remember, these are mechnical watches, not quartz, so the bank is much more expen$ive.
Steve

Kahuna
03-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Totally with dbrk regarding Panerai. The brand has a deep heritage along with a fiercely loyal and fun community of fanatics
(not unlike a certain bike brand from Saratoga) known as paneristi (http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/).

-K

CarbonCycles
03-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Panerai makes good stuff; unfortunately, ATMO they have become too much the "in-thing". Lots of other brands not mentioned...Welder, Hublot, and Anonimo.

92degrees
03-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Hard to turn on the tv these days without seeing a PAM. That has made them far less interesting to me than they were at one time.

CarbonCycles
03-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Hard to turn on the tv these days without seeing a PAM. That has made them far less interesting to me than they were at one time.

Couldn't agree more...check out Anonimo; reminds me of some old school Pam :cool:

jbl
03-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I just got a d.freemont that I really like. He sells direct and has prices that are about a third of what you might pay from more well known makers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2346693140_838a4ae7f6.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2345864511_49458981e1.jpg?v=0

92degrees
03-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Price no object I would probably lean towards an IWC Big Pilot, tho I think that the trend of 44+mm watches is waning. ATMO

rsl
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
What a great thread - thanks everyone! I can't wait to take some of these suggestions into account and do some looking!

PaulE
03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Price no object I would probably lean towards an IWC Big Pilot, tho I think that the trend of 44+mm watches is waning. ATMO

Not sure if it would be considered above or below a Fierte in the world of watch aficianados, but I like it. I had to wait 3 months to get mine, my present for my 50th. A 42 mm case is about as big as my scrawny wrist can stand up to. They also have non-chronograph models and leather straps as well as stainless bracelets.

DRZRM
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I really loved Panarai when I first noticed them (I saw one in Tournou in 1990 on a metal bracelet for $2,700, that would have turned into agreat deal) but since then, I feel like they've just gotten a bit too...known. They are still lovely, but increasingly overpriced and a bit mooky (think Hummers, cigars, and spray tans).

And PaulE, I think that IWC is just lovely, love the face, and it's even more striking in person, though I think that it is well above the level of a Fierte in the watch world, more like a Legend.

Couldn't agree more...check out Anonimo; reminds me of some old school Pam :cool:

Kahuna
03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Those who bought and still own Pre-Vendome PAMs from the early 90's are pretty much laughing themselves to the bank. Then again, no one could have predicted how much those things would be worth to collectors nowadays.

Panerai is definitely pricey and on April 1st it's is only going to get worse. Granted they may be more popular now and I understand that's a turn off for some people. They're nothing like Rolex, Omega, Breitling and others in terms of numbers. Most people still haven't heard of the brand. As for television, I noticed Glen Beck wears one, but I heard he's a watch geek and a true Paneristi. That would explain his choice in aftermarket straps - a beautiful Greg Stevens Design. Cadel Evans supposedly wears a Panerai too. As for the mooky spray tan comment - lol! Maybe that has to do with the brand's association with Sylvester Stallone and his ilk. I can't deny that hasn't happened, but Panerai has a following that's like a brotherhood. People from all walks of life love these watches - from serious collectors to every day folks enjoy them for many different reasons. YMMV

-K

Yeah, I really loved Panarai when I first noticed them (I saw one in Tournou in 1990 on a metal bracelet for $2,700, that would have turned into agreat deal) but since then, I feel like they've just gotten a bit too...known. They are still lovely, but increasingly overpriced and a bit mooky (think Hummers, cigars, and spray tans).

And PaulE, I think that IWC is just lovely, love the face, and it's even more striking in person, though I think that it is well above the level of a Fierte in the watch world, more like a Legend.

musgravecycles
03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
How about this. Which is a better movement, the ETA 2824-2 (Elabore grade), or the Seiko 7s26 found in the SKX-series divers?

maunahaole
03-29-2008, 04:11 AM
If you are thinking seiko, check the seiko forum (http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/) for deals. Caveat: these are private party sales, so proceed at your own risk. There are several sellers who are repeats. Some neat stuff...

djg
03-29-2008, 06:09 AM
The answers could be all over the map, depending on what you're looking for in a watch and what you would like to spend. The analogy to up and coming frame builders suggests a fair bit of hand work on the watch -- at least finishing and modification of a stock movement. For that, well, maybe you're a little late to the party, but somebody like e-R's RGM watches might fit the bill.

The thing is, that's still going to have you paying thousands of dollars (even if lowish four figures) for a wristwatch. If that's not what you had in mind for a step up from a tatty looking velcro band, a price constraint and a style description could be useful. Let's say you're thinking more on the order of a couple hundred bucks . . . for automatic (mechanical watches), there are several possibilities. The seiko divers watches that have been mentioned are dependable, well-made mechanical watches that really are something of a bargain. They're also large watches of a certain style, so if that's not what you want, move on. Hamilton has some nice, classic-looking models that are very reasonable. "Swiss Army" and Tissot used to have a couple of inexpensive automatics -- worth checking. For a few hundred bucks or so, there are various choices from Oris, and things like this: http://www.bernardwatch.com/Daniel-JeanRichard/Chronograph/DJR84, as well as a fair number of decent German watches.

For about a grand, maybe a shade more, if you look around, it's really tough to beat Omega.

If you just want something that keeps decent time and looks fine to the untrained eye when it's poking out from under a shirt cuff -- there are many, many quartz options that will keep good time that, across a conference table, don't look appreciably different from watches costing thousands of dollars. Sure, there are bottom-of-the-barrel things that will have band problems or whatever, but a couple hundred bucks will be more than enough to get something decent from Citizen or Seiko or Swiss Army or whatever. Got to Costco or your favorite discount store and see what they have.

soulspinner
03-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Check out Nixon watches. Inexpensive and reliable. (nixonnow.com) Jeff N.

Great value, looks and hey they tell time too. +1

97CSI
03-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Would say Rolex, but prices have gone insane. Check out Cima. Swiss made. Bought one for the wife 20 years ago and one for myself 5 years ago. High-quality at a reasonable price. And not sold in Wal-Mart (like Seiko).

fmbp
03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
What's the consensus on Tissot watches? This thread got me to looking around for the heck of it, and this watch caught my eye. Pretty much in line price wise to the Hamilton Khaki I was thinking about.

I have a Tissot PR50 Titanium. I received it as a wedding gift just over 1 year ago and I've been pleased. The dial isn't terribly large, which for me is good because I have small wrists. I think it's kind of fun to have something that is a little bit different than the typical Fossil watches that every one else seems to own. They don't seem to have the sex appeal of some of the others mentioned in this thread, but not all of the models are as expensive.

Dekonick
03-29-2008, 08:41 AM
You can get a Tag for not alot 'o dough...

Longdaddy
03-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Fellas, I just got a new Rolex over here in Afghanistan last week, and it only cost me 15 bucks! :banana:

Wait........... :confused:

(crap, never mind....) :crap:

Tony Edwards
03-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Your budget will tend to drive what level of watch you start with, but there really is no better value than the host of great Seiko mechanical watches IMO. I started my collection with a Seiko SKX779 (http://edscorner1.blogspot.com/2006/03/seiko-monster-review-skx779.html), and it remains my benchmark for an affordable diver's watch - IMO it gives nothing away to any of several watches that are vastly more expensive.

Currently I have the following, roughly in order of frequency of wear (BTW, I am not the creator of any of the linked pages):

Omega Railmaster (http://www.timezone.com/library/news/news631923465243750000) - 39mm version on brown DiModell alligator strap - This was a gift and it's a lovely watch that works well in dress or casual settings.

A surprisingly nice Chinese Panerai homage (the dial just says Marina Militare) on a mustard Don Ginsler Black Seal-style calfskin strap. I've really been enjoying this watch, which I bought for $200 just to see if I am a Panerai guy. It has a sandwich dial, titanium case and sapphire crystals front and back. The movement is a nicely decorated Chinese Unitas knockoff.

Omega Seamaster GMT in white (http://www.time2watch.net/SeamasterGMTreview.htm) - They don't make these any more, and it's too bad, as I think this is a great-looking, practical watch and am very fond of it.

Charming Seiko 6309, handbuilt by Randall Benson (http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1110841892/%26quot%3BThe+Old+Man%60s+Watch%26quot%3B%2C+or+%2 6quot%3BWhat+is+perfect+Wabi+-+%26quot%3B+%26gt%3B%26gt%3B%26gt%3B%26gt%3B%26gt% 3B%26gt%3B%26gt%3B) - This is a brilliant watch, and it's worth reading the link, as Randall put a lot of love into this one.

Seiko SKX781 (http://www.caranfil.org/review_skx781_orange_monster.html) - This $120 watch is as eye-catching and, IMO, appealing as any watch I own. There simply is no better value on the market, and the bracelet is as nice as any watch under $1,000.

Sinn 656 (http://members.chello.nl/~h.mennink//watches/_private/sinn656.htm) - My first Swiss watch. I think I like it better in theory than in practice, but it is a great piece of design and appropriately acknowledged as such.

Seiko SARB003 (http://yeomanseiko.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3318BA07329CD633!497.entry) - Interesting, funky 70's aesthetic on this one, paired with one of Seiko's best modern movements.

Hamilton Khaki Field chronograph (http://www.pmwf.com/PMWFGallery/Archive/Robmks_HamiltonKhakiChrono.jpg) - Got it for a song on eBay, and it's an attractive, practical, and highly accurate watch. God help me when I have to get it serviced, though.

Seiko SKX779 (http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/) - Like the SKX781, but black. Started my watch hobby.

Seiko SKX007 with plongeur dial and hands, aluminum chapter ring, custom bezel and sapphire crystal from Bill Yao at Mk II Watches, on Seiko President bracelet - the dial and hands look like this (http://www.mkiiwatches.com/images/seskx00/seskx007k_b_300.jpg) - The Mark II watches are a great value and Bill is a true talent. This is a fantastic watch.

Tudor Oyster handwound, pictured. Very nice watch and my first and only Rolex product. Too small, though, and it should probably be serviced, as the power reserve is pretty low.

Seiko SKX007 with Omega SM300 homage dial and hands and sapphire crystal from Bill Yao - it looks basically like this (http://www.mkiiwatches.com/images/seskx00/seskx007k_d_300.jpg) but with date only. Great watch but I have so many black divers that this one gets fairly little wear. One day I'll have a real SM300.

Christopher Ward Malvern (http://articles.pmwf.com/index.php?/archives/18-A-review-of-the-Christopher-Ward-Malvern-Automatic.html) - great value in a mechanical dress watch - too bad I never wear it . . .

Zeno Explorer (http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/timeline0/zeno.html) - I have the older kind with a Miyota movement, and never wear it. Honestly it's pretty junky and not loved by me.

Weird Seiko S-Wave TV-shaped watch I never wear.

Casio G-Shock beast (http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/MTG930DA-8V/) - in retrospect this was just a stupid buy - I thought it would be good to have one perfectly accurate watch, and it looked good with my BDUs when I was in the service, but I only wore it enough times to destroy the weird bead-blasted finish on the bracelet clasp and now it is the red-headed stepchild of my collection.

Crappy Miyota-driven Milsub homage I never wear.

Samster
03-29-2008, 06:01 PM
a. lange & sohne. 1815 auf/ab. platinum.

Peter B
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Stowa (http://www.german-watches.com/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi) . For Bauhaus style look at the Antea KS. For larger wrists the Airman variants or the Marine Original.

CarbonCycles
03-29-2008, 11:50 PM
a. lange & sohne. 1815 auf/ab. platinum.

lol that is NOT the fierte of the bike world...nice piece

paulandmonster
03-30-2008, 12:01 AM
i have had a broken many watches i got a festina tour de france ti watch nine years ago and its great plus its got the tour logo so its biker cool anyways i love it and not pricey i think it was about 250 got a new festina bike chrono with alarm for xmas its nice but fat and heavey so for everyday i wear the ti. also have an old gold hamilton and a cartier tank watch they are in the bank no need to wear them. my brother had a brietling nothing but trouble and a tag which he liked for me no reason to spend that kind of money

musgravecycles
03-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the advice Tony.

As mentioned earlier I've been interested in a Seiko diver for some time, and Bill Yao has been on my radar for at least 5 years. When I checked out his site to see what was new I fell for the MMT (or Blackwater as it was formerly called). It has the ETA 2824 movement, and would run me just north of $600 as I'd configure it (as a Benrus Type II clone). That's a fair bit more than the FrankenSeiko, and probably too much for a watch I'd beat up on a daily basis at work but I still want one...

Chris
03-30-2008, 09:00 AM
I have a Tissot T-Touch. They are great watches. As nice as my Tag, but about 2/3rds of the price. Lots of interesting options there.

I still think that the best bang for the buck though is the Seiko Monster. Love my orange one.

sjbraun
03-30-2008, 12:35 PM
St Moritz

http://www.st-moritz.com/pages/products.php

Baccio

http://teno.com/727-01.html

Kahuna
03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Also check out Wenger Swiss Army watches (http://www.wengerna.com/browse/watches.jsp). They're simple, good-looking watches with accurate quartz movemets, and they're inexpensive to boot. My wife got me one for a birthday one year and it gets a lot of wrist time.

-K