PDA

View Full Version : Got stared down by a cow

znfdl
03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Was riding through Fort Huchacua in Arizona and got stared down by a cow. Every time I got close to it mooed. It finally moooved on after a couple of minutes.

Louis
03-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Yesterday as I was heading home I spooked some deer in the woods by the side of the road. There was a ridge on the right, which they could not climb, so they decided to run parallel to the road. They were about 20 yards off to the side, running in the same direction in which I was going. There were about six of them, and it was kind of cool, racing them as I went along. Finally, after about 100 yards the ridge ended and they veered off.

gdw
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
a surly heifer.

dave thompson
03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Yesterday as I was heading home I spooked some deer in the woods by the side of the road. There was a ridge on the right, which they could not climb, so they decided to run parallel to the road. They were about 20 yards off to the side, running in the same direction in which I was going. There were about six of them, and it was kind of cool, racing them as I went along. Finally, after about 100 yards the ridge ended and they veered off.
Nothing like a leadout deer, eh? :)

roman meal
03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
All that mooing was a sign of affection. Reciprocate the next time and see what happens.

Elefantino
03-26-2008, 06:39 PM
True story: My wife and I were riding near Bryson City last week and I moooooed at the cows as we passed, as I usually do. Most times, the cows or bulls will gently turn their heads to look.

But this time, a calf looked at me and bolted, causing several other bovines to bolt, too. Then still more started running, and one of them was temporarily hung up on a low barbed-wire fence.

I don't know whether a) I said something threatening in cow language or b) it was their reaction to my full Liquigas kit.

BumbleBeeDave
03-26-2008, 06:44 PM
. . . in full L-G kit and mooing, I'd run like hell too! :eek:

BBD

CNY rider
03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
a surly heifer.

Be glad it wasn't the bull!
Then the story might have gotten more interesting.

WadePatton
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Cows show more respect when you're straddling a Brooksmoo. ;)

J.Greene
03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
True story: My wife and I were riding near Bryson City

We need a separate thread for the complete ride report.

JG

capybaras
03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
like this?

Elefantino
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
. . . in full L-G kit and mooing, I'd run like hell too! :eek:

BBD
This from a man who courts zebras?

That's it: Leaky Gas cow terror vs. Water & Soap zoo wannabe at 20 paces! :fight:

As a backup, I have full Mercatone Uno ... :p

rwsaunders
03-26-2008, 07:37 PM
What an udder surprise. :cool:

roman meal
03-26-2008, 07:45 PM
udder madness! :cool:

BumbleBeeDave
03-26-2008, 07:51 PM
. . . Calf-ee Kevan when we really need him? There's a lot at steak here . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

swoop
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
i killed a cute little lizard. i heard it pop under my back wheel. i hate it when that happens. he was just sunning in the road.. i thought he'd go left. i killed him. pop.

fiamme red
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
There was an Old Man who said, "How
Shall I flee from this horrible Cow?
I will sit on this stile, and continue to smile,
Which may soften the heart of that Cow."

--Edward Lear, A Book of Nonsense

Louis
03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
This is what the forum has come to:

znfdl = Brave matador confronting charging taureau

swoop = Cruel despoiler of nature, squishing defenseless lezard

Ginger
03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
...it's close enough to winter and that ole girl probably remembers getting winter rations from people...if she was mooing at you, she probably was wondering exactly where you were hiding the corn. You're lucky she didn't try to make you give her food...

some cows are pushy that way.

Of course, if you yell at them right, they run away.

mostly

unless they decide to be pissed off...

davids
03-27-2008, 08:39 AM
i killed a cute little lizard. i heard it pop under my back wheel. i hate it when that happens. he was just sunning in the road.. i thought he'd go left. i killed him. pop.First time I ever drove a car on a public road (my dad sitting next to me, trying his best to act calm...), I did the same thing to a squirrel. :(

I've since developed a greater sense of exactly where the wheels are...

Too Tall
03-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Diagnosis codes (ICD codes-International Classification of Disease

307.81 Bovineincitilitis - uncontrollable utterence of bovine moans when in the vitinity of hefers.

Good news Znfndl, it's covered under Blue Cross Blue Shield.

flickwet
03-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Oh deer I often chase them on our Cuyahoga Valley tow path, great lead out beasts,they have become common as suburban grey squirrels. Use to climb water towers for a living, one day climbing next to a pasture,first one cow meandered over then it seemed there were 30 of them just standing there watching me intently, hello ladies. great audience never wavered in they're undivided attention the entire afternoon. is a long attention span a sign of intellect or a lack of imagination? I could think about that all day, oh look its rainingwhat does this button d...

GregL
03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Was riding through Fort Huchacua in Arizona and got stared down by a cow. Every time I got close to it mooed. It finally moooved on after a couple of minutes.

I've spent a lot of time on the fort testing radar systems. The official Army safety briefing is pretty interesting. Beware of cattle, deer (large herds), rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, javalinas, mountain lions, and the occasional illegal alien...

Regards,
Greg

zap
03-28-2008, 09:25 AM
zin-if I was close to the end of a long, hard, hot ride and saw that beast-it's dinner.

Enjoy the rest of your tour.

Dave B
03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
You folks are really milking this story aren't you? :D

djg
03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I think we keep chewing this over cud we can.

znfndl, if a cow seems to be staring you down, here's what ya do: just start humming the tune to "you deserve a break today . . . " -- the old Mickey D's jingle. It'll turn and run. They know.

Ginger
03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
The thundering herd plods onward...

If you want to move a cow, first make sure the cow doesn't have a small calf near by, then do the whole predator thing, make yourself as big as possible (your arms over your head) stare directly at them, and run toward them yelling making sure you bare your teeth...

the cow will either run away, charge, or fall over laughing. It's not well known, but while cows don't have a huge sense of humor, they do find things funny from time to time.

Do NOT try this move with buffalo, you'll be a little grease spot on the prairie.