PDA

View Full Version : Cancellara v Wiggins

Simon Q
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2008/mar08/wtc08/?id=results/men_ip

Once he got his track skills up I think Cancellara could very well dust Wiggins. No disrespect to Wiggins at all, more major respect to Cancellara. He is the man for sustainable power blasts.

Not sure whether Switzerland has booked a place in the 4000 IP for Beijing but after P-R I would love to see him concentrate on the track. It seems that the ITT might be too hilly for Cancellara, although many said that he would find it hard to win a flat stage of the Tour, Milan-San Remo...

flux
03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track/2008/mar08/wtc08/?id=results/men_ip

Once he got his track skills up I think Cancellara could very well dust Wiggins. No disrespect to Wiggins at all, more major respect to Cancellara. He is the man for sustainable power blasts.

Not sure whether Switzerland has booked a place in the 4000 IP for Beijing but after P-R I would love to see him concentrate on the track. It seems that the ITT might be too hilly for Cancellara, although many said that he would find it hard to win and flat stage of the Tour, Milan-San Remo...

You can't dismerit Wiggin's track skills like that. It's like saying Lance could beets Sven in a cross race if he rode the cross bike once a week.

Apples to Oranges.

Track racing isn't just riding in circles from what I can tell.

davidlee
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
You can't dismerit Wiggin's track skills like that. It's like saying Lance could beets Sven in a cross race if he rode the cross bike once a week.

Apples to Oranges.

I was just thinking the same thing about Cancellara. Even furthermore he should take a stab at the hour record.
I think he could fly through the 4000.
Sprints- technique , Pursuit-grip it and rip it
Cancellara by 5 bike lenghts

Louis
03-26-2008, 04:48 PM

A new side of track from the BBC web site:

Dancers perform during the opening ceremony for the UCI Track Cycling World Championships at the Manchester Velodrome in Manchester, UK.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44517000/jpg/_44517283_manchester416g.jpg

Sasha18
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Forget Wiggins and Cancellara. Look at Taylor Phinney, age 17(?) at eighth place.

manet
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Apples to Oranges.

point, flux.

Fixed
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
bro some chinese track guy from nowhere smashes everyone
cheers

Simon Q
03-26-2008, 07:51 PM

Apples to Oranges.

I wasn't dismeriting his track skills - clearly they are incredible. But the jump from road to IP is not as great as road to cross. I also said that Cancellara would have to go track crazy after PR.

You may have something of course. Wiggins is great on the track but Cancellara is in a different league completely (his own league) in the open air. I stand by the fact that for how good Wiggins is on the track he hasn't translated that to the road. It is possible to do that: have a look at O'Grady's track and road record.

I would still back Cancellara to get Wiggins if he concentrated on track for while. People, we are talking about a out and out legend in the making here IMHO. Your once in a while freak athlete.

davids
03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Forget Wiggins and Cancellara. Look at Taylor Phinney, age 17(?) at eighth place.That NY Times article from a few days back said he's been riding for 2 years. I think we'll be hearing more from Phinney the younger.