PDA

View Full Version : early trek carbon

jvp
03-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Hi - 1st post here (really 2nd, 1st thread) - I am going to look at 2 bikes for sale here locally (raleigh, n.c.). One I'm very interested in and hopefully will purchase, if it's in good shape, price is right, my size, etc. It's a Mclean/Silk Hope from the 70s or early 80s, full campy super record I was told. The other is a "2nd model year of Trek's carbon fiber bike ". Any appeal for a bike like this? I'm not really into carbon bikes, new or old, but feel I should check this one out at least. Any thoughts? Thanks -

J.Greene
03-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi - 1st post here (really 2nd, 1st thread) - I am going to look at 2 bikes for sale here locally (raleigh, n.c.). One I'm very interested in and hopefully will purchase, if it's in good shape, price is right, my size, etc. It's a Mclean/Silk Hope from the 70s or early 80s, full campy super record I was told. The other is a "2nd model year of Trek's carbon fiber bike ". Any appeal for a bike like this? I'm not really into carbon bikes, new or old, but feel I should check this one out at least. Any thoughts? Thanks -

The silk hope has a few but very dedicated fans. If you pass on it and it's a good deal let me know.

JG

sg8357
03-26-2008, 06:55 AM
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/McLean/mclean_main.htm

I seen several McLeans, lovely workmanship.

stevep
03-26-2008, 06:56 AM
on the carbon.
pretty old.
unless it was really cheap i'd stay away

stuff has come a long way from then

coylifut
03-26-2008, 06:56 AM
I can attest that the early Trek carbon, although heavy, is really flexible.
:)

jvp
03-26-2008, 06:59 AM
on the carbon.
pretty old.
unless it was really cheap i'd stay away

stuff has come a long way from then

That's what I thought, but I wanted to check. The seller seemed really siked about the Trek, but I'm focused on the Mclean. She has 2 Mcleans, says she's going to keep one.

J.Greene
03-26-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm focused on the Mclean. She has 2 Mcleans, says she's going to keep one.

It's too bad he took his life at such a young age. He would have been thought of as one of today's masters.

JG

stevep
03-26-2008, 07:08 AM
I can attest that the early Trek carbon, although heavy, is really flexible.

is this faint praise?
or no praise at all?

Big Daddy
03-26-2008, 07:23 AM
run in the opposite direction...as fast as you can!

when i raced for Trek, we were the guinea pigs on their OCLV and combined ALU/Carbon Frankenstein bikes. BB shells were consistently being destroyed.

bad design and execution.

AgilisMerlin
03-26-2008, 07:48 AM
my early full carbon trek cracked twice............

those were happy days :beer:

zap
03-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I had a first gen. Trek 2500 carbon purchased in '88. The one with the al rear. It wasn't bad and at the time was probably the best carbon frame out there, but thats not really saying much as it was one of ....three. It was stiff enough for me and the ride was good. Plus I won some TT's on the thing, so it was good.

After 5 years or so, the rear triangle felt like it was getting soft, so I sold it. The second owner still has it and is trying to sell it. No takers.

Vancouverdave
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
When working for a big Trek dealer in Portland, part of my job was bike and OEM parts warranty work. Those pre-OCLV Trek carbon frames were the vast majority of all frames coming into that store with warranty issues--major stuff, like carbon tubes unbonding from aluminum lugs and bb shells. I would not touch one of those things with a ten-foot pole.

swoop
03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
do you have an outdoor shooting range, and any large guns, and a video camera??

Grant McLean
03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I've seen several McLeans, lovely workmanship.

I see one everytime I look in the mirror!

-g

coylifut
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
is this faint praise?
or no praise at all?

I'm calling it a POS.

Everyone listen to Vancouverdave. He's put a wrench to more Treks than anyone around - by a bunch. He sold me a steel one in 1980. The good news is, if you eff-up, buy one and it delams on you, they'll replace it with a new one.

Vancouverdave
03-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, Trek's warranty is for real--they don't look for excuses to split hairs in the interest of not honoring their end of the deal. Look for a dealer (like Bike Gallery, the one I used to work at) that will act as an advocate for the customer instead of the manufacturer.

97CSI
03-26-2008, 10:27 AM
The other is a "2nd model year of Trek's carbon fiber bike ". Any appeal for a bike like this? I'm not really into carbon bikes, new or old, but feel I should check this one out at least. Any thoughts? Thanks -If this is a 2300 carbon tube with aluminum lugs it is an excellent bike and is becoming a collectors item, as well. The nice thing about it is that the 126mm rear spacing can be simply pulled apart to accept 130mm rear hubs, so can take any modern 10/9-speed wheelset. Also, if I read one of your responses correctly, you might be of smaller stature. The 2300 is not flexie, as are the early full carbon bikes and is an excellent machine. You might even find it stiff if you are looking at a 53 or smaller frame. Wish I had room in my stable for one more bike. If I did, it would be a 2300 with a mordern fork.

Big Daddy
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
If this is a 2300 carbon tube with aluminum lugs it is an excellent bike and is becoming a collectors item, as well. The nice thing about it is that the 126mm rear spacing can be simply pulled apart to accept 130mm rear hubs, so can take any modern 10/9-speed wheelset. Also, if I read one of your responses correctly, you might be of smaller stature. The 2300 is not flexie, as are the early full carbon bikes and is an excellent machine. You might even find it stiff if you are looking at a 53 or smaller frame. Wish I had room in my stable for one more bike. If I did, it would be a 2300 with a mordern fork.

I call BS on this...sorry bud.

the 2300 frames were the worst and "cracking" under load. When I was racing for them, i was only a buck 50 at my heaviest and these were al dente!

I'm not "hating" just stating from personal experience of me and my team.

stevep
03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Yes, Trek's warranty is for real--they don't look for excuses to split hairs in the interest of not honoring their end of the deal. Look for a dealer (like Bike Gallery, the one I used to work at) that will act as an advocate for the customer instead of the manufacturer.

just a comment on this is that the warranty is for the original purchaser.
it is not transferrable.
i think this is true of basicly every one in the bike industry.

jvp
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
dang I was hoping to stress crack the trek, and flip it for a madone through their generous warrenty policy.

jvp
03-27-2008, 06:58 AM
update...Mclean seller says she's 5'8"...I'm 5'8" :D
I will post pics if I get it -

R2D2
03-27-2008, 07:16 AM
This is a no brainer.
You can ALWAYS resell a McLean.
Good luck on the TREK.

I should add just as some bikes have bad karma, others have good karma.
Good things happen when riding a McLean.

R2D2
03-27-2008, 07:24 AM
It's too bad he took his life at such a young age. He would have been thought of as one of today's masters.

JG

He didn't take his own life.
He died of a heart attack on a trainer.
Many theories why.
The best is he used silver solder which contained a heavy metal (Cadmium)and did NOT wear a proper respirator.

jvp
03-27-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not planning on getting the trek now. I may tell her to try selling it on craigslist, or by consignment at the LBS.

jvp
03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
update: got the silk hope for $600. She offered me both for $800 but I was wary of having to deal w/ the trek. The trek looked good though, full dura ace, downtube 12 speed. The silk hope is a 1980 model, either touring or road, not sure yet, all super record. Will post "before" pics in a day or two.

csm
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
My dad rode one of those "junk" 2300s forever. it still runs. no seperation issues, crackinng or anything. he rode a trek 620 into the ground. it cracked at tge onset of a west-east trans continental ride. he replaced it with a 520. I finally talked him into a new bike a couple of years ago to replace the 2300. got him to try brifters, etc.
he rode the madone, the pilot, a concours cs, my legend, a fierte steel, and several others. in the end, he bought another 2300.

M.Sommers
03-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Vintage carbon. :D

I'd avoid the old Trek. Kinda like Space Shuttle pre-o-ring white paper.

jvp
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
pics of the mclean / silk hope, haven't messed with it yet, forgive the grime and incomplete build:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/DSCF2293.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/DSCF2294.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/DSCF2295.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/DSCF2297.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/jvpro/DSCF2296.jpg

97CSI
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Very nice touring bike. Think the first order of business would be to pull it apart and do a complete interior inspection and then FrameSavr treatment. That's assuming that you wish to keep it.