PDA

View Full Version : I know the answer to this is "No"

Louis
03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Is there any way to put a Shimano XT cassette on a Campy hub? (Or get bigger cogs that will work with the Campy hub spline.)

TIA

Ginger
03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I think you can get an aftermarket cassette that has the Shimano gearing to go on a campy hub...

and they aren't all that expensive...

djg
03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Sledge hammer?

Louis, I don't see how this could work. You can get campag (compatible) wheels to work with Shimano bits, and vice versa, either via conversion cassettes (mates with splines for one system, spacing for the other), and I gather that there are other solutions too, like j-tek (haven't used it), but I don't see how an XT cassette could fit on a campagnolo freehub body.

Louis
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I think you can get an aftermarket cassette that has the Shimano gearing to go on a campy hub...

Any idea where I should start to look?

Louis
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Louis I don't see how an XT cassette could fit on a campagnolo freehub body.

Hey Dan,

One possible way would be if somebody out there made a freehub with a shell that matched the Shimano cog spline and a "freehub body to hub spline" that matched the Campy spline on the hub main body (which I assume is different from Shimano's). I don't know if anybody makes that. (And I kind of doubt it.)

Louis

djg
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Here's the jtek thing: http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I know that several companies make the reverse conversion cassette (mavic, am classic, wheels manufacturing), but I'm not sure of the campag splines/shimano bits combination -- I'd look at the wheels manufacturing web site for spacer kits.

As for the freehub -- yeah, with some hubs you can buy just the freehub body, or shell, and swap from one to the other. If it's actually a campag hub, I don't think it's an option.

Louis
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
The shifting's not a problem. I use DT shifters and will go friction if I have to.

Ginger
03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
The shifting's not a problem. I use DT shifters and will go friction if I have to.

Oooo so you have the Campy wheels and want the Shimano shifting.

Do a search here on the forum, the different makers currently escape me...but they've been mentioned here before.

Why not just buy a Shimano rear wheel???

Louis
03-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Agreed, this would be the simplest (and possibly least expensive) solution, but I've never been one to choose that without investigating every other complicated alternative... :p

Anybody want a beautiful, nearly new, OP black wheel with a Campy hub? (Just kidding, I haven't given up yet.)

djg
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Oooo so you have the Campy wheels and want the Shimano shifting.

Do a search here on the forum, the different makers currently escape me...but they've been mentioned here before.

Um, if the shifting is not a problem, why not just buy a campag cassette? I mean, sure, the record ones are shockingly expensive, but centaur cassettes are good -- not all that easy to distinguish from chorus -- and much less expensive. There are also campag compatible cassettes made by others.

Ginger
03-25-2008, 09:34 PM
'cause they only go to 29...

dave thompson
03-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Is there any way to put a Shimano XT cassette on a Campy hub? (Or get bigger cogs that will work with the Campy hub spline.)

TIA
IRD makes Campy compatible cassettes with MTB cogs. http://cgi.ebay.com/IRD-12-32-10-Speed-Elite-Cassette-for-Campagnolo-Hubs_W0QQitemZ290178334544QQihZ019QQcategoryZ42332 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
http://cgi.ebay.com/IRD-Elite-10sp-Campagnolo-compatible-Cassette-12-32_W0QQitemZ330186431643QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42332QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have the 12-28 9sp and 11-30 10spd IRD cassettes and they shift and work very well.

Louis
03-25-2008, 09:46 PM
If you saw the hill I have to do at the end of every single one of my rides you would understand. It's tough at the end of a 15 mile ride. At the end of a 50 mile ride it is murder. Especially at this time of year, when I'm in particularly poor climbing shape.

Louis

Orin
03-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey Dan,

One possible way would be if somebody out there made a freehub with a shell that matched the Shimano cog spline and a "freehub body to hub spline" that matched the Campy spline on the hub main body (which I assume is different from Shimano's). I don't know if anybody makes that. (And I kind of doubt it.)

Louis

If you are talking about a Campy manufactured wheel/hub, yes there is. Now let's see, which company is it...?

Oh yeah, that's right, Campagnolo.

Well, depending on which Campy wheel/hub it is. For current Record, 2006 back Centaur/Chorus/Record and most wheels, there are Campy freehubs available with Shimano splines. You have to look at the parts lists - they show the alternate freehubs.

I have a current Record hub that I swapped out the freehub for a Shimano splined one.

Orin.

tbushnel
03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, depending on which Campy wheel/hub it is. For current Record, 2006 back Centaur/Chorus/Record and most wheels, there are Campy freehubs available with Shimano splines. You have to look at the parts lists - they show the alternate freehubs.
I have a current Record hub that I swapped out the freehub for a Shimano splined one.
Orin.
Which parts list? Is that from the campy site or somewhere else? Sounds like a great option, especially since all my wheels (except 650B) are campy.
ted.

Orin
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Which parts list? Is that from the campy site or somewhere else? Sounds like a great option, especially since all my wheels (except 650B) are campy.
ted.

There are parts lists for quite a few years on the Campy web site.

In the case of the Shimano compatible freehub, google for campagnolo WH-KX2 and you'll find plenty of vendors. This is Chorus level and will handle Shimano 8/9/10 speed cassettes, though some vendors only claim 8/9. There is also the WH-KX10 which is 10 speed only and WH-KX1 which is Record level, costs a fortune and seems to be currently unavailable.

Orin.

djg
03-26-2008, 05:38 AM
There are parts lists for quite a few years on the Campy web site.

In the case of the Shimano compatible freehub, google for campagnolo WH-KX2 and you'll find plenty of vendors. This is Chorus level and will handle Shimano 8/9/10 speed cassettes, though some vendors only claim 8/9. There is also the WH-KX10 which is 10 speed only and WH-KX1 which is Record level, costs a fortune and seems to be currently unavailable.

Orin.

Excellent -- didn't know that was available.

regularguy412
03-26-2008, 05:47 AM
If you're going over 29t on your rear cogs, you will probably have to have a medium cage rear der. This will be a bit of additional cost, if you don't have one already. If you're already on a triple crankset, the rear der. is probably long enough already to accept the bigger cogs.

Mike in AR :beer:

sspielman
03-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Marchisio makes Campagnolo compatible cassettes in all kinds of configurations. They are not cheap, but they are of a nice quality. Since they have loose cogs, you can mix and match anything. They are scarce here in the US (I think Torelli imports them) but easily obtainable from British internet sources.

tbushnel
03-26-2008, 08:16 AM
thanks for the reference. looks like another wet one today.
Ted.

Too Tall
03-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Hard to get but worth the effort. These are custom loose
cog, titanium bits. I use them and think Bonz does too.
Very nice stuff.

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/
Mail to:
cycledyn@cycle-dynamics.com
Paul Tettamanti <cycledyn@cycle-dynamics.com>
1-888-439-1204 North America toll free tel.
604-439-1204 Tel.
604-439-8849 Fax.

Cycle Dynamics Inc.
5791 Beresford Street
Burnaby, British Columbia
V5J 1J9 Canada