PDA

View Full Version : Braking Questions

Sandy
09-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I am interested in how cyclists apply their brakes- Front, rear, and sequence of application.

1. In normal braking situations how do you slow down your bike? I tend to feather my rear brake if I am at low speeds and want to slow down a little more. If am at higher speeds, I tend to use both brakes, but start apllying the front a little earlier.

2. Emergency applications? I tend to use the front more and move back some on saddle.

I am starting to think that one should use the front brakes much more,and the rear less, since, it appears at faster speeds and quicker stopping if one slides back and uses the front brakes predominantly, then there is little chance for the rear to slide, but applying the rear brakes too hard at speed may cause a slide (rear). The fear of going over the handlebar by too hard of an application of the front brakes may be overstated.

Kevan- You are not required to answer the above, since slowing down for you is never a problem at the speeds at which you ride. Air currents, butterflies or ants seem to work for you. :) :)

Squealing Sliding Squeaking Still Slowing STill Serotta Somebody

Too Tall
09-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Use brakes.

But seriously Sandysan, how about some more parkeing lot drills and you can find out what works best?

Ken Robb
09-07-2004, 01:07 PM
in really tight slow corners I use the rear to keep the front from skidding--I can deal with slow rear skids. In almost any other situation above 5mph I use both brakes at the same time with more front brake pressure as speeds increase.

Bill Bove
09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Good question Sandy, since so many people don't really understand "proper" braking on a bike. Most of the earlier post's address that but nobody mentioned over use of brakes. A long time ago I was a lousy criterium racer who braked into corners and at any sign of danger, than I took a course on track racing, how to race a fixed gear. Now, although I am still a lousy crit racer I know to when to ACCELERATE where I may have touched my brakes before. It has saved me skin on many occasions. If you have a velodrome nearby and can take such a class, do it, you will be a much better bike handler for it.