PDA

View Full Version : need input on wheels

molly47
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
looking to purchase either mavic rsys or fulcrum racing zeros have had mavic wheels for years but thought of changing to fulcrums ? has any one ridden both to compare or have any thoughts on them thanks

jmc22
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I would recommend looking at the Reynolds DV46C if you want a great clincher everyday wheel set... I have had mine for 3 yrs without any troubles and without truing once... mind you that anyone can make this claim, but I am 6'3" - 210lbs and have about 6,000 miles+- everyday use on my set. :banana:

chuckred
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Can't comment on the zeros, but can't say anything bad about the 3s. I don't baby them, they seem fine. Since they came new when I bought my last bike, I'm not sure how to break out the difference in ride between the bike and the wheels. They seem very solid and stable, rough pavement doesn't unsettle them. I don't have to panic and stop to inspect them if I hit a pot hole like some folks on my training rides (why would you want wheels that are that worrisom?)

Only minor issue is the decals are bubbling a little - decals on wheels seem kind of cheesy anyway, but it's only noticable if you look for it.

They weigh basically the same as my campy record/aerohead 28 spoke wheels, and perhaps are a bit more aerodynamic with the bladed spokes. The only thing I can say for certain - it's not the wheels that are holding my speed down!

molly47
03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
thanks for the input so far...

Chris
03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
The rsys are junk. Not aero, not durable, not much of anything. I would cross them off my list. I think as Mavic looks back on the history of their wheels they will just shake their heads in the "what were we thinking?" mode when they review it. Even some of their marketing is that the wheel works like a wagon wheel! If you are aligning yourself with 18th century technology to tout your wheels over others...

sspielman
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
The rsys are junk. Not aero, not durable, not much of anything. I would cross them off my list. I think as Mavic looks back on the history of their wheels they will just shake their heads in the "what were we thinking?" mode when they review it. Even some of their marketing is that the wheel works like a wagon wheel! If you are aligning yourself with 18th century technology to tout your wheels over others...

I think it should be called "junque" because they are expensive....Their sponsored teams and riders seem very reluctant to use these wheels.....

keevon
03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Look around for pictures of exploding R-SYS wheels. Seems that when one of those carbon tubes goes, they all go.

Have you considered hand-builts as an alternative? I recently got some wheels from our very own Marcus Torino, and while I haven't actually had a chance to ride them yet, I can attest to his excellent communication and prices. Drop him a PM, see what he might be able to do for you. :beer:

dekindy
03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Go to testrider.com and watch their video on the R-Sys. Brittle carbon forks that are very thick and non-aero do not sound like a good all-arounder for the average cyclist. If I could climb the mountain and could gain enough advantage to switch wheels for the descent then I would feel better about them. Apparently the pros are riding them. But I wonder for how long. It just seems like a bad idea to me.

shinomaster
03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
You can get last years Ksyrium ES wheels on sale at Nashbar sometimes. I got mine on Christmas Day for $520. They roll very nicely, and they climb well.

jimcav
03-25-2008, 03:56 PM
no complaints. i bought them for looks, coming from eurus. they seemed a touch faster, not much lighter, a toucher stiffer (which in real-world terms for me meant a slightly harsher ride than eurus) i have not ridden ES, but rode several versions of ksyriums--i found they all rode harsh so sold each that came on bikes i bought. having now tried gobs of wheels, i'd go super light tubular if you are doing long hills, or aero otherwise. you do have to pay attention more with aero on heavy winds, but at least in the topolio v39 to zipp 404 rim depth range it is not terrible for me.

jim

1centaur
03-25-2008, 04:46 PM
The R-Sys seems to be the most hated wheel of the last five years, whether its exploding spokes or bad aero characteristics. At least they're light.

I have Racing Zeros. Like them a lot. Seem aero over 22 mph, smooth hubs, spokes pinged for months, look fantastic (all red version), seem solid, easy to change tires. Overpriced in the US.

dookie
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I recently got some wheels from our very own Marcus Torino, and while I haven't actually had a chance to ride them yet, I can attest to his excellent communication and prices. Drop him a PM, see what he might be able to do for you. :beer:

+1...er, +2. soon to be +3!