PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sheep Peleton

PBWrench
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Last week I was in Israel on a business trip and was able to get away for a day of mountain riding. On a descent in the Judean Hills, west of Jerusalem and heading towards Bet Shemesh, I encountered a very fleecy peleton. They seemed unconcerned, but next time I'll be sure to wear a Woolrich jersey. Cheers.

bumperjohn
03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Very cool, but small, picture!

93legendti
03-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm jealous.

I hear Beit Shemesh is Israel's bicylcing capital...true?

PBWrench
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
I fixed the picture! There is good cycling outside of Bet Shemesh in the area around Mevo Betar especially.

93legendti
03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I fixed the picture! There is good cycling outside of Bet Shemesh in the area around Mevo Betar especially.

If it has Betar in the name, it must be good. :)

Bruchim Habayim!

rwsaunders
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
That looks like West Virginia prom date territory.

regularguy412
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
That looks like West Virginia prom date territory.

There were NO Scotsmen in that pic. Wait. PB isn't Scottish, is he?

:beer:
Mike in AR

Marco
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I can't tell: is that a red heifer or are you riding red?

ESpitz was clearly riding someones yo

Peter P.
03-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Not a good scene; shepherds on mountain bikes will put sheepdogs out of a job...;-)

Sandy
03-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Not a good scene; shepherds on mountain bikes will put sheepdogs out of a job...;-)

Don't think so.Look closely at the photo. The sheep are going in a zillion directions. The shepherd on the mountain bike is going in another direction. The sheepdogs are taking a nap waiting for a cry for help at which time they will ask for shorter working hours and more treats! :)

Neat photo.

Sheepdog Sandy

sspielman
03-25-2008, 05:24 AM
Ollie's services are needed......
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=57579&postcount=12

Sandy
03-25-2008, 05:28 AM
If you look carefully you will see Ollie covered his eyes with some of his hair. Figured he could still do a better job than some human on a bicycle. :rolleyes: :)

Sandy

sspielman
03-25-2008, 05:39 AM
If you look carefully you will see Ollie covered his eyes with some of his hair. Figured he could still do a better job than some human on a bicycle. :rolleyes: :)

Sandy

I'm not sure how, but he sees fine through all of that...much of the time, we keep his hair trimmed away a little bit because some other dogs don't like not being able to see his eyes...

So many herding dogs have the shaggy hair covering their eyes...I have heard theories that it helps them in their herding because the sheep don't know where they are looking or if they are asleep...OR it may be just because they are all interconnected to the same shaggy dog bloodlines...

In any event, Ollie WOULD DEFINITELY have restored order to that flock of sheep...he herds EVERYTHING...One time he escaped and we found him at a nearby pond....herding the geese from one side to the other....

Sandy
03-25-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure how, but he sees fine through all of that...much of the time, we keep his hair trimmed away a little bit because some other dogs don't like not being able to see his eyes...

So many herding dogs have the shaggy hair covering their eyes...I have heard theories that it helps them in their herding because the sheep don't know where they are looking or if they are asleep...OR it may be just because they are all interconnected to the same shaggy dog bloodlines...

In any event, Ollie WOULD DEFINITELY have restored order to that flock of sheep...he herds EVERYTHING...One time he escaped and we found him at a nearby pond....herding the geese from one side to the other....

I sometimes see dogs with hair seemingly covering their eyes. Somehow they seem to navigate exceedingly well.

Sandy

Blue Jays
03-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Cool picture. Is that gravel roadway part of a training loop?

PBWrench
03-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Blue Jay - Not a training loop, but rather a path through some rocky pasture land after gnarly single track. I was riding with a buddy of mine (who took the photo) and a guide through forest trails, rocky descents and even some private property. He got us lost a couple of times, and once we had to climb down a terraced mountainside for about 100 yards, handing off our bikes to each other as one person reached the next level. It was pretty unexpected, pretty painful, and totally unforgettable. And then the sheep . . .

Big Daddy
03-25-2008, 07:12 AM
(putting on my velcro gloves)

Blue Jays
03-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Wow, that's wild. Even more interesting that challenging singletrack is right there within sight of the city limits. Very, very cool.

Sandy
03-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Blue Jay - Not a training loop, but rather a path through some rocky pasture land after gnarly single track. I was riding with a buddy of mine (who took the photo) and a guide through forest trails, rocky descents and even some private property. He got us lost a couple of times, and once we had to climb down a terraced mountainside for about 100 yards, handing off our bikes to each other as one person reached the next level. It was pretty unexpected, pretty painful, and totally unforgettable. And then the sheep . . .

Please don't tell us about the sheep! :)

Did you encounter any military personnel interested in what you were carrying or doing on your bike?

Sandy

PBWrench
03-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Sandy -- Our guide, Chaim, is a major in the naval reserves. For added comfort, I also served in the IDF. But only as a private. And rarely with sheep.

fixednwinter
03-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Super cool shot - don't see that everyday :)