PDA

View Full Version : Blood question.

cadence231
03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I was at my general doc today and decided to have some blood tests done. Primarily to check my testosterone and iron levels.
The flobotomist took, she said, about 4 tablespoons.
I am concerned if this is going to affect my power.
I have a 69 mi RR this Sun!
I have heard that cyclists in training should not give blood(1 pint) because it takes a relatively long time to get back what you lostmo. If it does, how long will it take for me to get back to normal even with losing just 4 tablespoons?
I know it sounds like a small amount but I do feel light headed and using a power meter in training I can see how a variable such as this affects my performance.

rnhood
03-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Why don't you get a full check-up with blood test if you don't feel well.

Chief
03-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I typically give blood every 8 weeks and I think I can feel the effects for about 7-10 days after I give it. I just can't seem to keep up with my usual riders during the recovery period. I once gave 2 pints of platelets and it took me nearly a month before the after effects went away. I don't do that anymore. As a side note, I'm 70 years old and I think that age probably influences the recovery time.

gasman
03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I was at my general doc today and decided to have some blood tests done. Primarily to check my testosterone and iron levels.
The flobotomist took, she said, about 4 tablespoons.
I am concerned if this is going to affect my power. I have a 69 mi RR this Sun!
I have heard that cyclists in training should not give blood(1 pint) because it takes a relatively long time to get back what you lostmo. If it does, how long will it take for me to get back to normal even with losing just 4 tablespoons?
I know it sounds like a small amount but I do feel light headed and using a power meter in training I can see how a variable such as this affects my performance.

dude-that's nothing. don't worry about it.

thwart
03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Yep---60 cc, or 2 oz. Insignificant.

If you are lightheaded, that's not the cause.

J.Greene
03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
My Doc in spain takes more than he needs and always puts it back in before the big "a" races. We are on a normal schedule, he says that I am very generous to be such a frequent donor. I can't take credit though, my team director guilts me into it.

JG

BUTCH RIDES
03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
i lose more than that shaving
b.

Peter P.
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm a regular blood donor. 4Tbsp. is NOTHING. Try some impromptu speed work the day after donating A PINT. The world won't look so pretty after 60 seconds...ask me how I know.

cadence231
03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm a regular blood donor. 4Tbsp. is NOTHING. Try some impromptu speed work the day after donating A PINT. The world won't look so pretty after 60 seconds...ask me how I know.
How do you know?

Expound please.

M.Sommers
03-24-2008, 06:47 PM
How do you know?

Expound please.

I donate at least twice a year, one pint is what they suck out.

1 pint = 20 fluid ounces
4 tablespoons = 2 fluid ounces

Per Red Cross, "How long will it take to replenish the unit of blood I donate?
Your body will replace the blood volume (plasma) within 48 hours. It will take four to eight weeks for your body to completely replace the red blood cells you donated. The average adult has 8 to 12 pints of blood."

You gave 1/10th of a normal donation. I think the process of giving blood, the worry, the concern etc...it's playing a larger role in how you feel. Have some complex carbs, foods rich in iron and you're better than new in hours (atmo).

Note: I am not a Dr., but I followed Sean Kelly since 1977. :beer:

Edit: You might have low iron or low testosterone and this is playing the role in your training. Let us know the test's results. Cheers.

mosca
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
>snipped< I once gave 2 pints of platelets and it took me nearly a month before the after effects went away.Sorry for thread drift, but I may be giving platelets this year, so I'm curious about your (or anyone else's) experience with that. I had heard that the body replaces platelets in about two days so I wasn't too worried, but should I be concerned?

cadence231
03-24-2008, 07:02 PM
It will take four to eight weeks for your body to completely replace the red blood cells you donated.

That bit of info is what concerns me.

That and Francesco Moser's silhouette.

gasman
03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
That bit of info is what concerns me.

That and Francesco Moser's silhouette.

Cadence- your total blood volume is probably on the order of 70ml/kg. So if you're an average-sized guy say 75 kg, your total blood volume is on the order of 5 LITERS, you had, at most 60 ml withdrawn so maybe 1% of you blood volume is gone and now replaced naturally.

Relax it won't affect your performance.

Chief
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Sorry for thread drift, but I may be giving platelets this year, so I'm curious about your (or anyone else's) experience with that. I had heard that the body replaces platelets in about two days so I wasn't too worried, but should I be concerned?

I don't know that you need to be concerned. You have the extent of my experience. I just felt that it took longer for me to get back to the same energy level than I wanted and, therefore, I decided that I would donate platelets again. As an aside, you can give a pint of blood every 8 weeks but platelets every 16 weeks so if your body replaces the platelets in 2 days, then why is the time for donating platelets twice as long? I don't know. I suspect that being younger you will recover faster.

mosca
03-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't know that you need to be concerned. You have the extent of my experience. I just felt that it took longer for me to get back to the same energy level than I wanted and, therefore, I decided that I would donate platelets again. As an aside, you can give a pint of blood every 8 weeks but platelets every 16 weeks so if your body replaces the platelets in 2 days, then why is the time for donating platelets twice as long? I don't know. I suspect that being younger you will recover faster.Actually you can donate platelets more frequently, up to 24 times per year. Thanks for the feedback though - I'm considering a double century in June and I'm a little paranoid about my stamina these days. :)

regularguy412
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.

Mike in AR:beer:

thinpin
03-25-2008, 04:46 AM
i lose more than that shaving
b.
ERR Butch, can I recommend a barber?
Italian of course!!! :D

cadence231
03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I typically give blood every 8 weeks and I think I can feel the effects for about 7-10 days after I give it. I just can't seem to keep up with my usual riders during the recovery period. I once gave 2 pints of platelets and it took me nearly a month before the after effects went away. I don't do that anymore. As a side note, I'm 70 years old and I think that age probably influences the recovery time.

Cheif,

Is that a longhorn charge of yours?
Could it be a watusi?

ps.
Thankx for the advice and stuff.
Going to do FTP workout later today.
will report back later on.
passout.

Chief
03-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Actually you can donate platelets more frequently, up to 24 times per year. Thanks for the feedback though - I'm considering a double century in June and I'm a little paranoid about my stamina these days. :)

I misspoke or miswrote, whatever the case may be, I made a double red blood cell donation and that is the one you can only give every 16 weeks. So I lost about ~1/4 of my red blood cells which explains why I experienced a low energy level after the donation. I was running on only 3/4 of a tank. ;)

ejh
03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry for thread drift, but I may be giving platelets this year, so I'm curious about your (or anyone else's) experience with that. I had heard that the body replaces platelets in about two days so I wasn't too worried, but should I be concerned?
I donate platlets 4-6 times a year, high count anywere from 400,000-600,000, and the only time I have ant truble is if they use too much anti-quaglent, sorry for the spelling. and even if I'm not feeling up to par for a couple of days its worth it to save somebodys life. put it into prespective.

cadence231
03-26-2008, 09:45 AM
More drama.
Lab called and said I need to come back to have another draw.
Why?
Bad "spin" on the Test vial.
They are trying to sabotage me I am sure of it.
Napoleon.

cadence231
03-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Let us know the test's results. Cheers.

Okay.

As per a letter I recieved yesterday, here's my results in lieu of my testosterone findings:

"A complert blood count was obtained. This revealed your red blood cell count to be normal indicating no evidence for anemia. White blood were normal as where platelets.. There is no evidence of iron deficiency on the basis of your CBC.
Total serum cholesterol is 220 with HDL fraction of 81 and LDL fraction of 78. Triglycerides are 304mg %. Given your very favorable HDL level, I feel that your serum lipids are adequately controlled although I would encourage you to follow a low fat diet."

What does he mean by "...l feel that your serum lipid are adequately controlled although I would encourage you to follow a low fat diet." Do those numbers show that I am eating too much fat?

Also. Does the red blood cell count tell of my hematocrit?

I went and had another couple of tbsps of blood drawn this morn will wait for the results.

thwart
03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Man, you need to have your medical clinic install a telephone...

Seriously, I wish I had an HDL of 81... must be all those intervals and double centuries you're doing. High triglycerides... watch those simple sugars like alcohol and white bread and such.

Have a talk with your doc about how you're feeling... with those normal labs in mind.

cadence231
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Man, you need to have your medical clinic install a telephone...

Seriously, I wish I had an HDL of 81... must be all those intervals and double centuries you're doing. High triglycerides... watch those simple sugars like alcohol and white bread and such.

Have a talk with your doc about how you're feeling... with those normal labs in mind.

So the 304mg% triglyceride is high?
You say I need to avoid refined sugars. Vary odd because I only get those on the bike. And I don't do alcohol. I wonder why that reading would be high. Hmmm...

fwiw I have been following the Paleo Diet (http://www.thepaleodiet.com/) for coming up on 3 mos.

cadence231
03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
So the 304mg% triglyceride is high?
You say I need to avoid refined sugars. Vary odd because I only get those on the bike. And I don't do alcohol. I wonder why that reading would be high. Hmmm...

fwiw I have been following the Paleo Diet (http://www.thepaleodiet.com/) for coming up on 3 mos.

Ah ha!
Back up. Beep. Beep. Beep.
I figured out why my triglycerides were so high.
On Easter which was the day before my blood was drawn, I was over at good ol' mom's for Easter and what was there? Easter candy! Yes I broke my diet that day...big time. Hence, I believe the high reading. :banana:

kgreene10
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I am really impressed to see that so many forumites donate blood on a regular basis. Next time I see the vampire van, I may take your example and stop in for a spell.

Regarding a high lipid count, my impression is that a very large portion can be attributed to genetics. For instance, my mom is an amazingly active vegan of 35 years who has ridiculously high cholesterol.