PDA

View Full Version : Shipping costs?

Clydesdale
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Has anyone seen prices going up? Shipped a bike today and paid about $25 more than a similar ship a year ago. Maybe I missed something, but ouch.

Who are you shipping with and what is it costing?

Thanks.

David Kirk
03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Tell me about it.

Dave

djg21
03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Has anyone seen prices going up? Shipped a bike today and paid about $25 more than a similar ship a year ago. Maybe I missed something, but ouch.

Who are you shipping with and what is it costing?

Thanks.

I just paid $120 to ship an MTB from Upstate NY to CA via UPS Ground. That used to cost under $60 just a few years back.

Karin Kirk
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Please refer to the thread about $4/gallon fuel prices - that may shed some light on this. :rolleyes:

Bruce K
03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Will this bring us to revisit the ship it vs fly with it question when traveling with your bike?

Southwest is still $50 each way vs $100 each way for Delat and some of the others.

BK

csm
03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
our company wide fuel surcharge for this week is 57%.

Clydesdale
03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks all. I asked because when I asked at the counter I was told it was the box/weight/value...etc. I responded that I had shipped many bikes in those boxes and never paid that much. One clerk basically told me that the prices had not changed, so I thought I would ask here. I assumed it had to be a fuel cost issue. Still not a bad deal compared to smaller boxes and even envelopes, I just wondered.

PS - I was out of my hometown for Easter and mailing from a different city. The place I use at home has always been fantastic to work with.

konstantkarma
03-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Will this bring us to revisit the ship it vs fly with it question when traveling with your bike?

Southwest is still $50 each way vs $100 each way for Delat and some of the others.BK

There is one big difference between the airlines and FedEx or UPS. You can not insure your bicycle when carrying it along in the cargo hold of the aircraft. I guess a rider on your homowner's insurance might cover it, but still. Do you trust the baggage handlers? I don't :argue:.

93legendti
03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I shipped a set of wheels via Fed Ex (ground, MI to CT) 2 weeks ago for $11.74. The trick is to take it there yourself. The Fierte frameset I sold last month was $35.00 shipped via Fed Ex, iirc.

Frank
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks all. I asked because when I asked at the counter I was told it was the box/weight/value...etc. I responded that I had shipped many bikes in those boxes and never paid that much. One clerk basically told me that the prices had not changed, so I thought I would ask here. I assumed it had to be a fuel cost issue. Still not a bad deal compared to smaller boxes and even envelopes, I just wondered.

PS - I was out of my hometown for Easter and mailing from a different city. The place I use at home has always been fantastic to work with.

I used to be able to ship frames through UPS based on actual weight. They changed to dimensional weight a couple of years ago. which takes the greater of the actual weight or a billed weight based on the dimensions of the box.

One lady behind the counter who I took lots of frames to billed me the old way, the other ladies all used dimensional weight. I like the first lady better :)

BTW, I now use FedEx but not because of that.

cmg
03-24-2008, 09:09 PM
FEDEX, san antonio tx to arlington virginia $28.36, small bike frame, small box. Normally it's around $18-$22.

97CSI
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Wheelset, coast-to-coast, $40 by ground. Size is almost as big a cost driver in shipping as is weight these days. Now anything going USPS is 'oversize' if it is larger than 12x12x12. Used to be a total of 84", or larger. Say hello to $100/barrel oil.

dave thompson
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I shipped my Atlanta from Washington State to Saratoga Springs NY, via FedEx, in the smallest box I could make and the cost was just a hair over $50, a bit more than I used to pay.

Satellite
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I just traveled to Sunnyvale California and shipped my bike to the hotel cost $42 w/$1k worth of insurance to ship it UPS taking it to the service desk at UPS. Delta wanted $85 I shipped it in an All Sports Hard Case Single Bike unsure of dimensions.

When I was leaving California I took the same package back to UPS Service Desk in Sunnyvale and got a quote for $96 w/out insurance even added. Plus I took a bunch of weight out of the box I orginally shipped full water bottles, shoes, helmet and clothing in the bike box. When I was shipped back to Colorado I took all the extra out and stored them in my luggage. The guy at UPS said the clerk in Colorado didn't measure the bike box correctly.

I ended up taking my bike back on the plane. Worked out great because I had my bike right when I landed. I saved $40 shipping this way, and I was very happy to have my bike instead of a rental in California.

Satellite

victoryfactory
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=Frank]I used to be able to ship frames through UPS based on actual weight. They changed to dimensional weight a couple of years ago. which takes the greater of the actual weight or a billed weight based on the dimensions of the box.
QUOTE]
Yup
As of Last year, (on top of raising regular ground prices again)
Both Fedex and UPS have switched to dim* weight on ground shipments. What it boils down to is
on large boxes over 130 inches length plus girth** your package goes as automatic
90 lbs plus a $45. surcharge!
That puts you up around $65-$120 bucks depending on the zone.

* Dimensional weight is calculated differently from the large package weight:
Lengthxwidthxheight divided by 194 = dim weight (i'm not kidding)
**Length plus girth = measure widthx2 + thicknessx2 + length

Some bike boxes exceed the 130 inches.
Boxes under 130 inches lentgh+girth are calculated strictly by Dim weight.
caveat... If the second longest side os over 30", you pay $6.50 penalty
(I'm not making this up) So watch those wheel boxes!

As Frank pointed out, many UPS and Fedex shippers have not cauht up
with all of these changes, but If someone at the center checks your box,
they will bill the shipper the extra amount. You may get away with it.

VF

eddief
03-25-2008, 12:50 PM
and in our run of the mill Safeway they are up to .89 a pound. Never seen them that high in this lifetime.

Steve D
03-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Just shipped a bike UPS ground from MA to NC. $120 each way, including insurance.

I was going to take in on the plane with me, but US Air told me that my Trico case was too big and wouldn't fit! I'm flying into Charlotte and then taking a prop plane (DH8) to Asheville. I'm guessing the prop plane has a small cargo space? Man, that could have been ugly. I'd hate to go on a cycling vacation and have my bike hung up in some airport while I'm twiddling my thumbs as my friends ride the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Has anybody else found that a standard bike case is too big to bring on a plane?

victoryfactory
03-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I think most commercial jet flights will take your bike for a small extra charge
at least, If you are a frequent flyer, you should be able to jam it on free if you
are firm with them and it is your only piece of check-on.
There are a couple of airlines that do it free, but I don't recall which.
(those type of rules shift around)

Commercial bike cases like trico may be over the 130" UPS/Fedex limit
hence the $120. charge, but I think if you pack your bike in a manufacturer's
shipping box from a bike store, you may get in under the surcharge
(slightly less protection that way, I guess)

VF