PDA

View Full Version : rear derailleur setup questions

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi folks.
So I've adjusted a RD many many times, and I'm pretty good at aspects of it. However, I've never set up a new RD (in this case, campy centuar), and I'm finding that I'm having some problems.

I've never really had to play with the High and Low limit screws before.
Also, the derailleur is new, but the chain and cassette are last year's. The chain keeps lining up incorrectly and jumping a few teeth.

help. I want to get through this without going to the bike shop (no car, can't ride my other bike while wheeling this one alongside of me !)

whammo45
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
sounds like it is just cable tension adjustment, leave the Hi - Lo screws alone unless it doesn't shift to the first or last cog

RC

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
oh, I should be more specific.
when I say lining up incorrectly, I don't mean laterally (side to side) that is dead on.

so i'm confused.

body angle screw?

Do new derailleurs come with these screws set to the correct adjustment for the majority of bikes?

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
am i just embarrasing myself? exposing my lack of bike mech. knowledge?

handsomerob
03-24-2008, 02:47 PM
is it going on a steel bike? Is it possible that your derailleur hanger is a little bent?

stevep
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
you might have the cable on the wrong side of the attachment bolt...

AgilisMerlin
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bVgP_MNwc

annoying music included

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
hmm
I did crash it once a long time ago in a race, but I rode it for the rest of the season and everything was A OK.
I just set it up anew, so I thought it would be a cinch.

I'd say there is 90% chance it is not bent.

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
wow that's a terrible sound track

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
yeah, so anyhow. . . I'm familiar with all of that. I'm probably just missing something stupid

handsomerob
03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Also, 3 good tips for setting up a RD.

1.) Set your high and low limiters BEFORE putting the chain on. I think it is easier to see where it lines up and you can just push through the range of motion.

2.) When you do put the chain on and it is time to set the trim, do it on the middlemost cog. If you set the trim on one end or the other the % of error doubles by the time it gets to the other end.

3.) If your bike shifts up the cassette just fine, but down the cassette is rough, that may be a sign that it is worn, needs cleaning, or your cables are hanging up.

regularguy412
03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
you might have the cable on the wrong side of the attachment bolt...

+1 on this -- very easy to do,, don't ask how I know

Another thing (which may be stating the obvious) -- Make sure your rear wheel is securely pressed into the dropouts and that the axle is square. When I find I have shifting problems and I haven't 'touched' anything, I put the bike on the ground, and press on the saddle. Then I open and close the rear QR. Invariably, I have failed to get the rear wheel fully seated in the dropout. NO amount of fiddling with the tension or limit screws will help until you are sure all the parts are in their proper places relative to one another.

Mike in AR :beer:

AgilisMerlin
03-24-2008, 03:22 PM
go get your bike to a shop and have em put a alignment tool on the hanger.......takes about 3 minutes........

good luck.

Too Tall
03-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket...RTFM. No kidding, both campy and shimano have dynamite instructions. BYO magnifier.

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
for the advice.
I got it now.

I don't even want to tell what was wrong. It was a very stupid mistake on my part. Plus, it's a littler harder to figure this stuff out when your workstand is a trainer. :)

but I learned a whole lot more during the process of tinkering. Shifts like a dream.

First ride tomorrow, and I'll take some pictures to post.
cheers,
Dan

itsflantastic
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
TT-
took me a second to figure out what RTFM meant. heheh
I did, it was an x factor causing me to be a stupid factor.
I should think a bit more before I post. I just never had experience setting up an out of the box derailleur so I was a bit on edge.

New Toys.

I also cut the Rear brake cable to the length of the front brake by accident.
I'm just so psyched to ride that I'm doing stupid stuff.

Amateur!

djg
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket...RTFM. No kidding, both campy and shimano have dynamite instructions. BYO magnifier.

Yes -- campag has excellent instructions (and you don't need a magnifier, because you can get them off the web site and print them as large as you like). Start from scratch, follow the directions, and if there's no equipment problem, I bet you'll do fine.

itsflantastic
03-25-2008, 11:22 AM
The new wheels I got came with a new lock ring.
I didn't know that there were different size lock rings and I used the new one, which was too big, so the chain was hitting it and thus not running smooth.
I set up the rear mech just fine barring that.

took me a night to figure it out. Doh!

I feel like a dummy. It was just so shiny, I had to use it!

stevep
03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
sell it now before it breaks again/

maunahaole
03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
dibs

shinomaster
03-25-2008, 03:56 PM
sell it now before it breaks again/

Do you really want your hat back? :(

Kevan
03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
The new wheels I got came with a new lock ring.
I didn't know that there were different size lock rings and I used the new one, which was too big, so the chain was hitting it and thus not running smooth.
I set up the rear mech just fine barring that.

took me a night to figure it out. Doh!

I feel like a dummy. It was just so shiny, I had to use it!

done that.