PDA

View Full Version : American Red Cross

Bill Bove
09-07-2004, 06:24 AM
I am really lucky. I have power at my house so I have AC, cold water to drink, hot water to shower, electricity to cook with and a telephone that works. But I am only one of less than 10% in the area affected/afflicted by Frances. For the next two weeks or more southeast Florida is basicly a third world country, we don't have so many of the things we have always taken for granted. Traffic lights, gas to drive to work, for too, too many no job to go back to and even homes to stay in. There are long and I mean long lines for food and water. Basic neccessitys of life. Governor Bush is doing the best he can wich is very good, FEMA is doing great, volunteers are pouring into the state from all over. But there are so, so many people who need so, so much. Please, please donote to the Red Cross. The sad fact is this is going to happen again and again, maybe not right here again with Ivan next week but with tornadoes in the mid west, forrest fires in the west, blizzards in the north east. The Red Cross will be there, please help them help all of us.

OldDog
09-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Good to hear you are doing OK Bill, we were thinking of you this past weekend.
My sister and Mom have "winter" places in Melborne Beach, we trust they are a lost as they are park model travel trailers, on the beach. Won't know until they can get in to check things out. At least for them their homes are here in the north so not all is a total loss.

Through my company we have a program of payroll deduction for Red Cross and United Way. A buck or two a week, with a company match, adds up with numurious workers.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Dekonick
09-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Glad to hear you are ok. I was hoping it would be thus.

FEMA does a great job - several of my co-workers are on the FEMA disaster teams. (collapse rescue, search dogs, HAZMAT) They always come back with sad reports (along with happy reports too!) of the destruction and resulting difficulties residents face. My thoughts are with you and your fellow Floridians.

RABikes2
09-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Hey Bill,
So glad to hear you are okay. Frances visited us the last two days and Sunday night got a little crazy. I lost some shed roof, but replaced it immediately. Down trees (some 60ft.+ snapped off at the half way point) and branches everywhere on my place, but found nothing serious so far and we were fortunate not to lose power, etc. I drove up to my gate yesterday afternoon (didn't want to chance walking the length of my driveway, through the property, with flying debris), so today I'll get out and get a better view for any damage. I'm very thankful for all the "normal" daily necessaties we have. Many in our counties up here were flooded and/or lost their places. My folks and friends in New Port Richey came through it okay, too. The Red Cross is wonderful to those in need; hopefully people will remember this and give generously. You never know who it will be that needs help next.

Again, I'm glad you are well.
RA