PDA

View Full Version : What's the half-life of a saddle ?

Bud_E
03-23-2008, 07:32 PM
How long do you ride on a saddle before you chuck it into the garbage ? I've been using a Selle Italia Flite for about 3 or 4 years and it seems like my tuchas(*) is rather tender these days after about 2 hours riding time. I never used to have this problem. Thanks in advance.

(*)highly technical term meaning "heinie".

Fixed
03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
i had a slr saddle it lasted one rain strom
cheers

caleb
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
They wear out. I have a Specialized Toupe that sags in the middle now after two seasons. It's a hamock.

roman meal
03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
They wear out. I have a Specialized Toupe that sags in the middle now after two seasons. It's a hamock.

pm sent. I'm recovering from a vasectomy. Fixed, if it works out, I'll send you my old regal, and I want your screen name in trade. it fits me better.

Blue Jays
03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Used until the rails break or the saddle otherwise becomes unserviceable.

Louis
03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
I usuallly use Selle Italia ProLinks. After a few years the foam gets soft at the sit bone area (usually on one side before the other) and I start to get sharp pain right at that spot. Swap out the saddle for a new one and the pain goes away.

Louis

AgilisMerlin
03-23-2008, 08:39 PM
my neighbor has a flite, italian job, that is green and red cordura on the outer back.........

he has worn all the green off of most of the saddle........it is well beyond used.......scuffs in the fabric, rip here and there.......

he'll not replace it until it breaks.......
flite's bear the test of time'...........if you replace it........pm me, and i'll take it.

sometimes just sometimes........people bury their parts :D

good luck

regularguy412
03-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a 1997 model Selle Italia 100th Anniversary saddle that is as good as new. It's been 'in service' for only 5 of the 11 years of its age. I've kept a lycra, waterproof cover on it since day-one. When my previous fave Concor saddle bit the dust,, I realized just exactly what had happened.
When I sweated, the salty sweat soaked the saddle and the foam padding. The liquid evaporated but the salt crystals remained inside the foam. Over time, the foam became as hard as a rock. The cover also wore out, too. It only took about three years. So now when I find a saddle that works, I put a cover on it and let the cover take the abuse. When the cover goes,, I just replace it. The saddle is no worse for wear. The best part is: I don't have to worry as much about finding a new saddle that 'works'. The sweat issue is also why I can't use a Brooks. They just don't hold up in the constant wet.

So to answer your question, I'm not sure what the useful life of a saddle is. The oldest one I'm currently using is still going strong.

Mike in AR :beer:

Peter P.
03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Sweat is usually what does saddles in for me. The leather roughens, and I can't slide around the seat as I normally do. Then it's time for a new one.

Maybe 30k miles.

saab2000
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
If you find one which works for you there is no half-life. They only become hard to locate on the used market.

If I ever run out of these I am going to go with Rolls and then Regals and then I might even try a Brooks if they sit back far enough.

Serioulsly, the hard ones are the best if they work for you. Padding sucks. They guys who race 300 km in 7 hours don't have padded saddles or nerves or steel (well, I suppose they do..) or anything else. But they do have saddles they can sit on.

Don't go for freaky ones. Look at what the pros are using 'cuz if there is one component you can count on for their wisdom, it is a saddle.

BillyBear
03-23-2008, 09:02 PM
How long do you ride on a saddle before you chuck it into the garbage ? I've been using a Selle Italia Flite for about 3 or 4 years and it seems like my tuchas(*) is rather tender these days after about 2 hours riding time. I never used to have this problem. Thanks in advance.

My 2 Brooks saddles have about 10,000 miles each...(one Team pro and one B-17) keep them supple with proofhide, and a quarter turn of the adjustment screw each year and they just rock on.... :banana: :banana:

Bud_E
03-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I am a "salty" sweater ( hard on handlebar tape and chainrings ) and I weigh 195 pounds so it's possible my saddle is kaput. I always thought saddles last forever but I'll see if I can locate a replacement and give it a try - thanks.

Too Tall
03-24-2008, 04:51 AM

Bud, Sometimes all you need to do is re-level the saddle apres' vous break in.

Roman: http://www.selleanatomica.com/images/Red%20A.jpg This is the latest. This model is called the autonutcuttah and serves a dual purpose. True fact, riders report zero conception rates after only 1280k's for months after. You could have paid down the vig on StevePs loan. Just sayin'.

roman meal
03-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Bud, Sometimes all you need to do is re-level the saddle apres' vous break in.

Roman: http://www.selleanatomica.com/images/Red%20A.jpg This is the latest. This model is called the autonutcuttah and serves a dual purpose. True fact, riders report zero conception rates after only 1280k's for months after. You could have paid down the vig on StevePs loan. Just sayin'.

Ouch. You get them caught in the area to the rear of the saddle and it won't let go.

davids
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
The Arione on my Seven was noticeably sagging. I've been using it since 2004, I think. So it lasted a lot of miles. I think it's time for you to get a new saddle, too!

Dash Riprock
03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Caleb, I also have a Toupe that has recently turned into a "hamock". It is sagging in the middle over a centimeter.
I have 2 years and over 10,000 miles on it, so I guess it's time to pony up and look for a new one

erector
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
yah, so i rode my dad's old bike when i was in high school, it was a "belt" not a brooks, but same idea. i would say that if you can do the leathers like those, half life is 'round one generation, but i wouldn't put em in your will.

cadence231
03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I think one could at least get 34yrs out of one: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42811