PDA

View Full Version : faster than a meivicimo - no bike content

fierte_poser
03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I just picked up my newly adopted greyhound yesterday. His name is Plymouth, and although he is quite nervous to be away from his fellow greyhounds, he is adjusting to life on the outside quite nicely. My riding time will suffer on his account, but considering I'm already a poser, I'm not that concerned. ;)

As promised, no bike content. :p

Kent

David Kirk
03-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Beautiful

dave

Chris
03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Could you maybe start posting as him? That would be funny...

Sandy
03-22-2008, 07:04 PM
A retired racing dog from a greyhound rescue group? I would suggest that you give him a great deal of time initially, especially if he is a rescued former racer. Normally they have minimal socialization with other dogs and people and have lived their life in a much restricted environment. Please remember that they are sight hounds and will often chase little critters, so don't take him out off leash unless you are certain he will come to you when you call him and that it is not too likely for quite a while. You won't be able to catch him if he starts running as you know.

Greyhounds make wonderful pets and often are seen in pairs. One never seems to be enough. Yours is beautiful. I really like the brindle coloring. May you and your family have a most enjoyable and happy life together.

Sandy

Sandy
03-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Just look at a greyhound closely. They were bred to do what they do so well-Run like the wind. Large deep barralled chest for breathing, strong and long muscles, tendons, and ligaments, lean body conformation,....Just ideal for the job. If you hve never seen one run, do it one day. They are magnificent in action.

Sandy

fierte_poser
03-22-2008, 08:01 PM
A retired racing dog from a greyhound rescue group? I would suggest that you give him a great deal of time initially, especially if he is a rescued former racer. Normally they have minimal socialization with other dogs and people and have lived their life in a much restricted environment. Please remember that they are sight hounds and will often chase little critters, so don't take him out off leash unless you are certain he will come to you when you call him and that it is not too likely for quite a while. You won't be able to catch him if he starts running as you know.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

This is actually my second greyhound (my first, Sightseer, was put down in 2006 at age 9) so I know the routine a bit. He was adopted from the in-house adoption program of the Mile High Track in Denver, so, yes, he did race. You are right about the restricted environment...yesterday he met glass for the first time in his life (can't walk through that stuff!) and today we tackled stairs for the first time (slow and steady is better than the whole flight at once!). But, I don't worry about his interaction with other dogs. On the contrary, he has spent his entire life in the company of other intact male greyhounds. He gets it so to speak, in terms of what is allowed and what is not allowed within a pack, and he sends the proper signals at the proper times. I don't worry about his reaction to other dogs, but I do worry about the dogs we encounter on walks, who are generally deficient in dog communication skills...having been taken out of the pack environment at a very young age.

Louis
03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
He sure looks like a wonderful dog. Hope he has a slant-6 that just keeps running and running and running...