PDA

View Full Version : What's with the "Crit" Thang???

William
09-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm just wondering what the aversion is that some folks have to so called "crit" bikes and racing set ups? Many times when someone refers to a criterium set up here, it seems to be presented as a sneer or put down (please correct me if I'm wrong). To me bikes are tools that are set up for certain purposes. If you are going to specialize, then get a frame matched for the job. If you are going to be an "all-a-rounder", you'll need to either have a number of bikes for each specialty, or, if you are like the majority of people out there, you will probably need to find one bike that's in between that can do both respectfully. If your a DC rider, then get a relaxed set up for racking up the mileage in perceived comfort. I just wondering what's up with the "Crit" thang.
The other part of the equation is marketing. If racer set-ups are what sells, than that's going to be where the emphasis is focused. One could argue that many people who buy (esp. 1st timers) don't really no the difference and just get what's marketed to them.

Personally, I like racing Criteriums and I like the way "crit" bikes (and/or shameless-racers as I believe one esteemed forum member put it) handle. I'm not a DC type of rider but I have no problem logging long miles (80-100+) on one these.

Just wondering William :D

e-RICHIE
09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
crit bikes (***?) are a magazine editor's fantasy come true. the
"so-called" design elements that compose such a beast: steeper
angles, shorter wheelbases, higher CG's, reduced fork offsets - all
of these result in handling characteristics that are contrary to the
event in question. heck - they're contrary to good handling, period!
e-RICHIE

ps

:crap: :crap: :crap:

arrange disorder

Bill Bove
09-06-2004, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=e-RICHIE]crit bikes (***?) are a magazine editor's fantasy come true. the
"so-called" design elements that compose such a beast: steeper
angles, shorter wheelbases, higher CG's, reduced fork offsets - all
of these result in handling characteristics that are contrary to the
event in question. heck - they're contrary to good handling, period!
e-RICHIE

Read it, know it, live it.

What better source than e-Richie would you ever need?

I have two primary bikes, one set up a little longer and higher, ie a century bike. The other a little steeper, shorter and lower (bars). Because both fall within my fit parameters I can either ride all day on them or get into any race situation.

It's all about FIT, the rest is marketing and/or BS

William
09-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Thank you e-RICHIE and B. Bove.:cool:

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on frame design and related elements. But I do know that I like a frame with steeper angles for such events. As I said, I'm just wondering what the hubbub is....bub.

Getting edumacated William. :)