PDA

View Full Version : D/A 9spd Price Projections?

FierteTi52
09-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi all,
Lately I've been thinking about stocking up on D/A 9 spd parts for future projects etc. A while back when the D/A 10spd was released, retailers were selling 9spd at teriffic prices. Currently the 9spd prices are higher than ever. I guess this is a classic example of supply demand economics. Now with the new ultegra 10spd being released, the Ultegra prices are lower than ever. I supose my question is, will the 9sp D/A price go down when the new Ultergra is released? I can't see paying a premium for old technology. Anyone know were to find good deals on 9spd D/A?
Jeff

Jeff N.
09-06-2004, 10:37 AM
E-Bay. Now, more than ever. Jeff N.

dave thompson
09-06-2004, 10:39 AM
This site: http://www.comparisonpricing.com can give you a good handle on pricing and where to buy.

eddief
09-06-2004, 10:40 AM
I think they will stabilize at approximately their current retail or a little lower. If they are less than 25% lower than 10 speed, then buyers will probably bite the bullet and step up to 10 speed. Nashbar has 10 speed shifters for $430 and 9 speed, non-flite deck compatible shifters for $270. Most buying new build kits will make the leap. Most of us who are satisfied with 9 speed will probably buy replacements until forced to make the switch. Soon Ultegra 10 speed will be available and probably at the price of DA 9 speed. Then the choice may be even tougher. The only parts of the DA 9 group that make a significant difference in real efficiency are the shifters anyway. One point of view.

Climb01742
09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
another thing to consider--how long will shimano continue to make DA 9? and any replacement parts? once ultegra 10 is out, what economic incentive do they have to continue to support DA 9? if they stop supporting 9, it drives folks to 10. just a darwinian thought.

dbrk
09-06-2004, 07:31 PM
This site: http://www.comparisonpricing.com can give you a good handle on pricing and where to buy.

And if you are sure you know what you want then totalcycling.com actually beats all of these prices, as far as I can tell.

I think Shimano's leap to 10 with their huge price increase really affected me this year. I used to think of our sport as expensive but do-able. Now I am sort of psychologically priced out. I refuse to pay the cost of carbon bits, frames over 3K, and now just parts. It has made me pretty much give up on new stuff. Nearly $400 for some STI shifters? I don't care how much "improvement" they offer, I'll go back to friction before I drop that kinda' coin, no problem.

dbrk