PDA

View Full Version : what to wear when you race???

Dave B
03-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I was trying to win a certain forum member's team jersey as I simply like it and wanted to have something unique where I live. Alas I was not at the computer to do so when the auction ended.

Bummed, I simply shared this with my wife.

She asked why i wanted it (not being rude, just she had not known) and I said I wanted it to have something to wear when I begin to try racing.

She remarked that I did not ride for that team and never would..(she has a good sense of humor as well) and I said I know, but that team has great roots in cross racing.

soooooo, more to the point. I know sponsored top level riders usually ride for a team and...duh sponsors. So is it a poor move to wear another team's kit in a race if you do not race for them? Does it matter?

If this is a stupid poser move then please some one clue me in.

Wait isn't this what they call being a Fred?

Anyway I am not top level UCI material in anyway shape or form. What is the inside unwritten rule on this one? Do you just get any jersey w/o any logo sponsors etc.

Yes I am sure some of you will go with.."Dude wear whatever you want" as this has been my rule as well, but I am trying not to make more mistakes than I usually do.

Oh and yeah I know, no WCS jerseys...you have to earn those not buy them.

Cheers

Prez

92degrees
03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
You could join a team or a club and wear their kit. Just a thought.

J.Greene
03-21-2008, 06:12 PM
It's awesome you want to race, but wearing a pro jersey Is a fred move that is not allowed in the lower categories. You can get away with it in cat5/beginer. Just go have fun and learn.

JG

I was trying to win a certain forum member's team jersey as I simply like it and wanted to have something unique where I live. Alas I was not at the computer to do so when the auction ended.

Bummed, I simply shared this with my wife.

She asked why i wanted it (not being rude, just she had not known) and I said I wanted it to have something to wear when I begin to try racing.

She remarked that I did not ride for that team and never would..(she has a good sense of humor as well) and I said I know, but that team has great roots in cross racing.

soooooo, more to the point. I know sponsored top level riders usually ride for a team and...duh sponsors. So is it a poor move to wear another team's kit in a race if you do not race for them? Does it matter?

If this is a stupid poser move then please some one clue me in.

Wait isn't this what they call being a Fred?

Anyway I am not top level UCI material in anyway shape or form. What is the inside unwritten rule on this one? Do you just get any jersey w/o any logo sponsors etc.

Yes I am sure some of you will go with.."Dude wear whatever you want" as this has been my rule as well, but I am trying not to make more mistakes than I usually do.

Oh and yeah I know, no WCS jerseys...you have to earn those not buy them.

Cheers

Prez

saab2000
03-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Don't wear a World Championship skinsuit.

Just a pair of comfy bibs and a cool (as in cool design) non-team jersey. Or just a plain one.

And while we're at it, white ankle high socks. No knee high tube socks! :D

Dave B
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM
You could join a team or a club and wear their kit. Just a thought.

Yeah, I might start my own club... a better club, better then ones already running a club.

Wait that sounds familiar. :D

Dave B
03-21-2008, 06:18 PM
It's awesome you want to race, but wearing a pro jersey Is a fred move that is not allowed in the lower categories. You can get away with it in cat5/beginer. Just go have fun and learn.

JG

that is the info I needed thank you!

Dave B
03-21-2008, 06:19 PM
skinsuit.

:D

:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

Maybe Hefty trash bags is looking to get into racing! :D

Dave B
03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
What about a jersey of the bike you ride?

If I was racing a serotta, is a serotta jersey acceptable?

This may be stupid to many, but this is a new direction for a few of us.

djg
03-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Here are the rules: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/RdTrkCx_rulebook.pdf (check out page 27 et seq.)

There's a general provision saying that the first set of rules (including the prohibition against wearing a jersey signaling a team or club affiliation that is not one's own) apply to everyone other than a rider who has a one day license. Maybe that means that you can do more-or-less as you wish if you just have a one day license, but I'm not sure -- you might want to check with a race promoter.

caleb
03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
So is it a poor move to wear another team's kit in a race if you do not race for them?

Yes, don't do it.

Wear a plain color (white/blue/red) without any logos.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.rapha.cc/images/products/lightweight_jersey_front.jpg

And if you really need to be flamboyant:

http://www.rapha.cc/images/products/nationaljersey_bel.jpg

Dave B
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Well ok then.

Anything put on by USA cycling makes sense. I guess I was thinking more of a Billy Bob's back yard cross course.

No worries. Plain and simple for me!

Fixed
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
What about a jersey of the bike you ride?

If I was racing a serotta, is a serotta jersey acceptable?

This may be stupid to many, but this is a new direction for a few of us.
no not unless your are serotta team member stay away from all the pro logos imho join a local team or join one from somewhere
cheers have fun

LesMiner
03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
You know on the other hand, maybe being a Fred is not so bad. Just consider the lyrics to that old 60's song.

Keep your hands on the wheel
Keep your eyes on the road
We're in the back seat
Kissin and huggin with Fred!

Big Daddy
03-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I might start my own club... a better club, better then ones already running a club.

Wait that sounds familiar. :D

hey!

Too Tall
03-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Classic setup is an undershirt or old beat jersey with a tight race jersey over.

Have fun :)

Michael Maddox
03-22-2008, 07:41 AM
If you want a great jersey that REALLY fits your needs, I suggest talking to Carlos over at:

http://www.unattachedrider.com/

He put together a great set last year for just this purpose:

http://www.unattachedrider.com/images/current_standard_0711.jpg

I bought one myself, even though I've got a team:

http://www.hgbco.com/

http://www.hgbco.com/_images/swag/blueJersey.gif

I think I like the Unattached even better.

GregL
03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Here are the rules: http://www.usacycling.org/forms/RdTrkCx_rulebook.pdf (check out page 27 et seq.)

There's a general provision saying that the first set of rules (including the prohibition against wearing a jersey signaling a team or club affiliation that is not one's own) apply to everyone other than a rider who has a one day license. Maybe that means that you can do more-or-less as you wish if you just have a one day license, but I'm not sure -- you might want to check with a race promoter.

Most USCF officials (including me, when I used to be one) overlooked the rules about jersey logos in Cat. 5 events. If a person wanted to wear a US Postal jersey in a local Cat. 5 crit, who cares? Most sensible officials were more concerned with safety and ensuring the racers had an enjoyable, fair experience. If I saw a guy/girl in a pro jersey, I would usually pull them aside after the race and let them know, in as friendly a manner as possible, that they should get an appropriate jersey if they planned to get a license and race more in the future.

There was (is?) one USCF official in eastern NY who was an absolute head case about the jersey rules. I've seen him go ballistic over some poor guy wearing a pro team jersey in a local Cat. 5 race. I'm sure he personally caused more people to leave the sport after one race than anyone else...

Regards,
Greg

rwsaunders
03-22-2008, 08:27 AM
These jerseys will work for all occasions....I've posted the link before.

www.anaerobia.com

Fat Robert
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
on the rare occasions when i do race, you'll see me stylin at the back of the cat 3 or masters field in a 35.00 plain white jersey from the excel catalogue, some plain black shorts, and white socks.

if i want to make an impression, i wear a plain red jersey and my red sachs socks

djg
03-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Most USCF officials (including me, when I used to be one) overlooked the rules about jersey logos in Cat. 5 events. If a person wanted to wear a US Postal jersey in a local Cat. 5 crit, who cares? Most sensible officials were more concerned with safety and ensuring the racers had an enjoyable, fair experience. If I saw a guy/girl in a pro jersey, I would usually pull them aside after the race and let them know, in as friendly a manner as possible, that they should get an appropriate jersey if they planned to get a license and race more in the future.

There was (is?) one USCF official in eastern NY who was an absolute head case about the jersey rules. I've seen him go ballistic over some poor guy wearing a pro team jersey in a local Cat. 5 race. I'm sure he personally caused more people to leave the sport after one race than anyone else...

Regards,
Greg

I hear ya -- I've seen it waived off and -- this past fall in a Cat 4 cross race most recently -- I've seen it allowed after a warning. I'm sure you have a better sense of the odds than I do. At the same time, there do seem to be officials who are sticklers for this sort of thing, and it would be a darn shame, at least, to pay an entry fee, drive to a race, and get pulled at the start for having the wrong dam_ shirt. To that end, I'd recommend that the OP search around for a good deal on a plain jersey and just show up wearing that. Why worry?

cadence231
03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Here I am being an unattached Fred while winning a pro,1,2 race last summer. http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/DSC_0227.jpg

Fixed
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
i have an extra jersey if you need one send me your address
cheers

coylifut
03-22-2008, 09:03 AM
nice picture. the CA bibs and Tiscali jersey are no problem. However, I think I see a Serotta with what? - maybe Ksyrium clinchers? That just can't be done. Isn't that set-up too heavy to win races on? Didn't the other riders in the field scrutinize your equipment before the start? What ever yo do, don't post that pic over on the Weight Weenies forum. Those guys will go into a spiraling depression.
;)

Chad Engle
03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Fixed: You're the man.

Once again practicing random acts of kindness. Good on you. :beer:

swoop
03-22-2008, 11:40 AM
wear what you want so long as it doesn't smell like you haven't washed it and so its new enough that i don't see your crack.

just race smart and get as good at it as you can.

i saw a guy in that unattached kit... it looks really mad painful.

cadence231
03-22-2008, 01:02 PM
nice picture. the CA bibs and Tiscali jersey are no problem. However, I think I see a Serotta with what? - maybe Ksyrium clinchers? That just can't be done. Isn't that set-up too heavy to win races on? Didn't the other riders in the field scrutinize your equipment before the start? What ever yo do, don't post that pic over on the Weight Weenies forum. Those guys will go into a spiraling depression.
;)

I do it all wrong. K clincers,Fred kit, ride too much, rarely race, 42 yo blah blah.. Carter's back there giving me the stink-eye:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/DSC_0232.jpg

WadePatton
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Wanna wear a team kit? Check out 53x11coffee.com

That's my gig this season.

learlove
03-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Unattached ride/train/race uniform/kit:

-Black shorts or bib shorts (I prefer bib)
-base layer top or old school (back in my day) t-shirt
-Plain jersey:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000137&subcategory=60001207&brand=&sku=17246&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Short%20Sleeve%20 %2F%20Sleeveless%20Jerseys

-white or black socks (no tube or knee high)
-sun or clear glasses
-gloves
-helmet

or sub shorts and jersey above for plain skinsuite

shinomaster
03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
All you really need are shoes, a number, and a helmet. Maybe a speedo too.