PDA

View Full Version : Best place in the U.S. to live for road biking

kansasbluestem
03-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I am self-employed and can live anywhere I choose. Trying to find the best location for cyling in the United States considering climate, auto traffic, cycling community, strong coffee, etc.

Any suggestions?

DarrenCT
03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
easy answer. fairfield/westchester county in ct/ny

rollercoaster roads, amazing scenary

stevep
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM

and, as darren notes, easy to pick up a nice 3 bedroom house for around $200,000... with about 2 acres of grass...

my guess... a lot of nice places once you know the local drill.

coylifut
03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I am self-employed and can live anywhere I choose. Trying to find the best location for cyling in the United States considering climate, auto traffic, cycling community, strong coffee, etc.

Any suggestions?

the central California coast some where between Morrow Bay and Santa Barbara. Only problem is the COL is obscenely expensive.

texbike
but my absolute favorite for year round cycling, scenery, community, low traffic roads, etc, etc, etc is the San Luis Obispo, CA area. Fantastic rides and stunning scenery!

Texbike

kansasbluestem
CT sounds nice but I'm really looking for a location with weather that allows year 'round riding. Thanks for the replies thus far.

I have riden around SLO back in the late 80's and it was a special place for sure.

William
03-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I have a special place in my heart for the area around Corvallis, Oregon. It’s nestled on the edge of the Willamette valley, right next to the coast range. Right outside of town you have any type of riding you want: flat rides on the valley floor to the east (unless you go all the way across into the foothills of the Cascades), rolling terrain north and south, and good climbing to the west going into the coast range. Lots of low traffic roads and beautiful scenery. The town has OSU so there lot’s going on, good restaurants etc… It’s the place that I think about when I think of idyllic cycling.

William

Big Daddy
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
West Indies

sevencyclist
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Bay area. Weather for year-round cycling without extreme cold or heat. Rain getting in the way of training for average of around 30 days per year. If you like riding in the rain, then you can ride year-round. Nice hills, rolling flats. Nice bike shops. Challenging ride groups available.

http://groups.google.com/group/noonride/web/noon-ride-official-routes-and-information

sbornia
03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
As coylifut and texbike posted, the CA Central Coast/SLO area is ideal for year-round riding. Cost of living is lower than the Bay Area, and probably LA/SD, too. But air travel is a little harder -- it's a 3-4 hour drive to a major airport, if that matters.

coylifut
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
As coylifut and texbike posted, the CA Central Coast/SLO area is ideal for year-round riding. Cost of living is lower than the Bay Area, and probably LA/SD, too. But air travel is a little harder -- it's a 3-4 hour drive to a major airport, if that matters.

I've had no problems flying out of SLO and connecting with the major ports. Not too badly priced either for a CAB subsidized field.

Z3c
03-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Tucson; huge road cycling scene, reasonable cost of living, year round riding. Do some research, not nearly as hot as Phoenix during the summer. If you compare comfort index, it is better than Ks during the summer. Big enough to have have fun without being too large.

Scott

SoCalSteve
03-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Not so sure about the COL or the winter climate (I think its cold in the AM and warms in the PM), but you cannot beat Solvang, CA for some of the best road riding in the world.

Why do you think so many pro teams train there???

Just sayin,

Steve

M.Sommers
03-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Winter sucks though...would North Carolina be more ideal?

Bob Ross
03-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Tucson; huge road cycling scene, reasonable cost of living, year round riding.

+1

My parents retired 10 years ago and moved to Tucson AZ, and believe it or not I actually look forward to going to visit them (!) ...because the cycling out there is so awesome.

And this is coming from someone who currently lives & rides in the Greater New York City tri-state area. To the guy who recommended Fairfield/Westchester all I can say is You Must Never Have Ridden In Tucson.

Or across the river in Rockland, for that matter. :)

Ray
03-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Winter sucks though...would North Carolina be more ideal?
Summers suck :cool:

Look, the riding in the area of SE Pennsylvania where I live is as good as it gets. If you're tough, you can ride year round except for the occasional few days of snow in the winter, but that's less and less frequent. Summers can get hot and humid, but generally not more than a few days lost to really bad heat/humidity. I'm a winter wimp though, so if you like it to stay above 40-50 in the winter, this isn't the place.

I used to live in Tucson and it's great except it gets really hot in summer. True, not as hot as Phoenix, but that's not saying a lot. You have to ride EARLY in the morning to ride through the summer in Tucson.

I'd say someplace inland in central to norther California would be just about perfect. Maybe somewhere like Sacramento or Davis or something. I don't think you have any real weather extremes, its not as expensive as out on the coast, good roads, plenty of hills. I don't know the area all that well, but I don't see a downside.

-Ray

paczki
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Just got back from a week riding in San Diego and the Borrego desert, and I'm not sure how riding could be that much better.

DukeHorn
03-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Going from DC to Raleigh to San Diego and now to the Bay Area, I think it's the latter (though San Diego is pretty good).

Even with the news of the recent accident in Cupertino, I think the drivers on the Peninsula are MUCH more aware of cyclists than drivers in North Carolina. I stopped road biking altogether in Raleigh and went to mountain biking. In the Bay Area, I'm less worried about my safety. Lots of bike lanes, good hills, a number of other cyclists around so we're in the driver's minds.

San Diego has great weather, a little less scenery (in my opinion) and just a touch more prickly drivers than the Bay Area (but nothing compared to North Carolina).

fiamme red
03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
And this is coming from someone who currently lives & rides in the Greater New York City tri-state area. To the guy who recommended Fairfield/Westchester all I can say is You Must Never Have Ridden In Tucson.

Or across the river in Rockland, for that matter. :)There are hardly any rural areas left in Rockland. It's mostly overdeveloped and suburban, except Harriman State Park.

On the other hand, northeastern Westchester (e.g., Pound Ridge, Bedford, Waccabuc), and Fairfield north of the Merritt Parkway are a cyclist's paradise atmo.

mike p
03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
The fingerlakes in upstate NY. Wonderful roads, very low to no traffic,great views, elevation changes, and plenty of fellow bikers and racers. Long winters make you that much more appreciative of the other seasons.

Mike

a100mark
03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Carrboro, NC or Asheville, NC

BURCH
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM

When we moved from Weschester to Fairfield, I had a lot more enjoyable rides. Loved the rides up near Darien/New Canaan/Bedford (NY). But I think some of the rides I have done out West were nicer.

NINHM, Graham, Trumbull, Trout, and Myannis were nice places for single track that I miss down here.

I would take the greater Pittsburgh area off your search list now. I couldn't do a ride there in college without some lunatic honking at me or flipping me off.

flux
03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Santa Monica Mountains/Malibu, CA.

Summers in the Monadnock region of NH are pretty high five too.

taylorj
03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
It is not possible to find better riding than in the San Francisco Bay Area. (Palo Alto, Woodside, etc.) It is expensive. But easy to ride 250-400 miles a week---climbing, rolling, coastal and year around. There is a morning ride (25-60 riders) a noon ride (25-100 riders), etc. Races (early bird) begin in January...and Bob Libold races are year around. Really good coffee too. And the Central/So Cal fires are not an issue in NorCal. Heaven. Did I mention it's expensive. Sigh.

Joni

WickedWheels
03-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Maui

Was there last year on my honeymoon and saw cyclists all over the place. More importantly... it's MAUI!!!

Ken Robb
03-21-2008, 11:39 AM
riding in Finger Lakes is super as is much of Wisconsin due to the many lovely lightly traveled roads and beautiful scenery. Can't call them good for year-round riding though. The Central Coast is nice and San Diego weather is unsurpassed in my opinion. I wish we had more peaceful and low traffic roads. I want Finger Lake Roads with san Diego weather. Maybe when I get to Heaven? Arizona in the summer reminds me of that other place. :banana:

BarryG
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe somewhere like Sacramento or Davis or something. I don't think you have any real weather extremes . .

seem to recall very hot summers in that neck of the woods . . .

rahill
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
seem to recall very hot summers in that neck of the woods . . .
But it's a dry heat!

The heat isn't that bad in Sacramento/Davis, but it's pretty flat for the first/last 20 miles or so. SF Bay Area is better - in terms of weather, terrain, views, drivers, etc.

NicaDog
03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
The only one requirement not met was that it's in the US - but hey, why not thing outside the box.

Ride while your clients sleep, work while they sleep- never be bothered by them.

Sasha18
03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Petaluma? Amazing roads and scenery, rollers and coastline, access to the Bay Area racing scene, the Lagunitas Brewery among an ocean of other good food companies. Year round good weather.

If you don't mind riding in some during some of the year, I have a real soft spot for Eugene, OR. Great town, less expensive housing, the whole city is bike accessible, several bike companies call it home. In 10 minutes you can go from downtown to rural county roads with wide shoulders and fine pavement. It never gets too hot and snows once a year. No humidity. Mountains, rivers, and farm land. I'll stop. Riding in Eugene during the summer is better than anywhere else.

WadePatton
03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
NC or AZ is my vote--rural.

AgilisMerlin
03-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Va

sspielman
03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
The only one requirement not met was that it's in the US - but hey, why not thing outside the box.

Ride while your clients sleep, work while they sleep- never be bothered by them.

+1 Northern California's terrain.....SanDiego's climate.....light traffic...great food.....

saab2000
03-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Madison, WI for about 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months you gotta go somewhere else.

Seriously, the riding in Wisconsin in general is quite good, especially the western half. And Madison in particular is especially good.

The winters are a bit pesky though....

rphetteplace
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Madison, WI for about 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months you gotta go somewhere else.

Seriously, the riding in Wisconsin in general is quite good, especially the western half. And Madison in particular is especially good.

The winters are a bit pesky though....

6" of snow today!

Gotta agree the farming roads in the unglaciated areas of Western Wisconsin are awesome. Blue Mounds area is so frikkin cool and so many roads to ride.

Plus we have TONS of cheese! :banana:

bcm119
03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Corvallis/Eugene, Oregon is great, because the cycling scene is so pervasive there. You can ride year round with a certain mindset and a little rain gear. Its the best area for riding I've lived in, which includes upstate NY, central PA, Santa Barbara, and the Bay Area. San Luis Obispo may be the best overall when you count climate and traffic-free roads, but the bike racing/coffee scene in Oregon is very cool.

mule
03-21-2008, 12:27 PM
SW Mo......Hills, flats, scenery, and very little traffic on the back roads.

mike p
03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
The problem with many beautiful spots I've seen listed here is traffic. I've biked quite a few locations mentioned here and while great places, I hate cycling on heavely traveled roads. Here in the fingerlakes I can bike for 30 min sometimes and never see a car.

mike

coylifut
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Corvallis/Eugene, Oregon is great, because the cycling scene is so pervasive there. You can ride year round with a certain mindset and a little rain gear. Its the best area for riding I've lived in, which includes upstate NY, central PA, Santa Barbara, and the Bay Area. San Luis Obispo may be the best overall when you count climate and traffic-free roads, but the bike racing/coffee scene in Oregon is very cool.

I was wondering when you going to chime in since I knew you'd been around.

Eugene/Corvallis's off road scene is way underrated in my view. Lots of great mountain biking to add some variety. Also, I heard there's about 40 new frame builders from Portland moving that way because our scene is getting a little crowded.

saab2000
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
The problem with many beautiful spots I've seen listed here is traffic. I've biked quite a few locations mentioned here and while great places, I hate cycling on heavely traveled roads. Here in the fingerlakes I can bike for 30 min sometimes and never see a car.

mike

Rural western WI is the same way. Even up at my folks' house in Appleton, I will go for my 50 mile loop and except in town itself deal with barely any traffic at all.

I would also put a vote in for the Twin Cities. Very nice area and some of the best urban riding around. Again, seasonal riding. The really hearty ones can make it a virtual 12 month season, but that can be tough. You're realistically looking at a 9-month season.

Sasha18
03-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Eugene/Corvallis's off road scene is way underrated in my view.
The local race scene is really tight and friendly, and small. And it's so close to Portland, you can attend races like the USGP cross series and the UCI approved Mt. Hood stage race.

It's also close to Bend, where you can find Trebon, Craig, Wicks, and host of other hot shot 'cross and mtn. riders. If you don't need the accommodations of a giant city, a la San Francisco or Los Angeles, that center part of Oregon is really amazing. The only caveat is if you have a grass allergy. The county to the north is the "grass seed capitol of the world." It can be pretty brutal in May/June.

I'll stop now; I sound like the freakin' chamber of commerce.

maunahaole
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Sacto/Davis is really a nice place to ride, there is a good cycling community in both towns. Sacto has the bike trail, which local folks like to disparage a little bit, but it is really an amazing resource.

It does get hot, but there are only a few days of the year that it is so hot that you might want to think twice about going out. When I lived there, I would ride during hot days. Even on the super hot days, the mornings are cooler, so you have the option of going early to avoid it. The winters are pretty dismal. It isnt so much the cold, but the ground fog, which makes it seem a lot colder than it is.

My main reservation about the riding there at this point is the air quality. I lived there for close to 15 years and the last few got pretty bad. The growth in metro sac, coupled with the air driven in from the bay area by the delta breeze isnt helping matters much. Ground level ozone, which is a respiratory irritant, is made worse by car exhaust and sunshine - two things in abundance there in the summer.

staggerwing
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I've not had a chance to cycle there, but I when I last visited north central New Mexico (Banodolier NM, Chaco, Los Alamos, Sante Fe, Taos region) I was thinking how great the riding would be.

97CSI
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
For the weather........gotta be Hawaii. If not there, I'll vote for SW VA/NW NC area. Asheville comes to mind. If I could only get the wife to move.

david
03-21-2008, 01:13 PM

i've done the majority of my riding in westchester and norcal.
i love some of the roads in westchester, but i'd take norcal (berkeley and east) over westchester any day.

too many angry car drivers in westchester.

Kines
03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Lance thought enough of the Boone, NC area to thank the place in the front of his book. Join us for Blood Sweat and Gears (see link) and I think you'll be hooked. Once you get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it's pleasant even on the hottest summer day.

http://www.bloodsweatandgears.org/

KN

scrooge
03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I'd want to move to Bozeman or some such place where the skiing is also good.
But then again, i want an excuse not to bike all year. Sounds like a recipe for burnout to me.

coloclimber
03-21-2008, 01:41 PM

Any suggestions?

You forgot good micro breweries and the opposite sex...

BOULDER COLORADO is mecca for many cyclists (but real windy today.) Plenty of flats, lots of climbs, many cyclists, good brew, athletic people, and many good coffee shops.

That said, I did love the riding in and around Malibu/Agoura Hills when I went to school in Pepperdine. In fact I stayed there 5 more years. The only down side were the Santa Ana winds - but I could get over that for 75 degrees everyday.

SoCalSteve
03-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Well, that would be my ultimate vote, but then I'm a bit prejudiced...

I'm sure Mr Brunk and Mr Byrnes feel the same way.

Just sayin'

Steve

OtayBW
03-21-2008, 02:35 PM
I vote for SW Virginia (Valley and Ridge; Blue Ridge Provinces), and western North Carolina (Blue Ridge; western Piedmont region).

nm87710
03-21-2008, 02:51 PM

Any suggestions?

More info needed. What type of cycling do you do??

MTB - NORBA race or more recreational
Road - USCF race(RR, CR or TT?), centuries or more recreational
Do you want good solo rides or good group rides
Track
Triathlon
Tandem
BMX
Touring
Randoneuring(sp?)
Unicycling
etc.

All cycling cities are not created equal. IMO "Best Location" is prolly different for each cycling type listed above.

girlie
03-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Bay area. Weather for year-round cycling without extreme cold or heat. Rain getting in the way of training for average of around 30 days per year. If you like riding in the rain, then you can ride year-round. Nice hills, rolling flats. Nice bike shops. Challenging ride groups available.

http://groups.google.com/group/noonride/web/noon-ride-official-routes-and-information

Completely agree! Also, the area caters to athletes....with quality message at sliding scale rates for nationally ranked athletes......great doctors, PT, and cross training facilities.

Also amazing.

gasman
03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Corvallis/Eugene, Oregon is great, because the cycling scene is so pervasive there. You can ride year round with a certain mindset and a little rain gear. Its the best area for riding I've lived in, which includes upstate NY, central PA, Santa Barbara, and the Bay Area.San Luis Obispo may be the best overall when you count climate and traffic-free roads, but the bike racing/coffee scene in Oregon is very cool.

I love riding here in the Southern Willamette valley-easy to ride almost any day of the year if you don't mind a little rain.

Kirk007
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I like Eugene for riding a lot as well; better than I liked Seattle (although I love Seattle I think the riding is easier to get to and better down here).

A lot depends on how much money you've got. Compare cost of living in Boulder/Bay Area/Malibu to areas like Eugene and Boone N.C and other less developed venues.

I lived in Boulder for 5 years as a student so you can live their cheap and have a great time. Its a great place to hang out (assuming you can deal with all of the world class athletes and the world class trust funders who seem to be able to do nothing but live the fine life - its a bit of an unworldly place in my view). I've got friends living there and raising families and they love it, but they're also bringing in really big incomes - and working hard for them - in order to afford it.

Lots of great choices - enjoy this opportunity and time in your life!

eddief
03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
i get mossy here in berkeley and i think we get around 20 inches. double that, double the doldroms, maybe not for me.

christian
03-21-2008, 06:17 PM

rollercoaster roads, amazing scenaryI laughed. Thanks!

bcm119
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM
i get mossy here in berkeley and i think we get around 20 inches. double that, double the doldroms, maybe not for me.
yeah its not for everyone. It got to me too- I had to really work at it to stay above the depression curve, but I was able to pull it off by riding year round, rain or shine (mostly rain). people around here b;tched about the winter this year, but it was a piece of cake in comparison. However corvallis has better roads, and way less traffic. Give and take...

Jack Brunk
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, that would be my ultimate vote, but then I'm a bit prejudiced...

I'm sure Mr Brunk and Mr Byrnes feel the same way.

Just sayin'

Steve
Yep I agree. I'll be riding one of Flux's fav route up mulholland, up upper encinal cyn over through rock store,back up rock store over to decker down decker and back to my house through hidden valley. It's going to be arond 80 so it's going to be warm. I'll be thinking of all our east coast brothers and sisters.

Louis
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
An interesting web site that allows you to consider lots of variables (except for the most important for roadies - nice riding) http://www.findyourspot.com

I don't remember all of the inputs I used, but good weather and good for outdoors activities were high on my list. The results in my case:

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Silver City, New Mexico
Holiday Island, Arkansas
Mountain Home/Bull Shoals, Arkansas
Paradise, California
Ventura, California
Cherokee Village, Arkansas
Heber Springs-Greers Ferry Lake, Arkansas
Santa Barbara, California
Milwaukie, Oregon
San Luis Obispo-Atascadero, California
Greenville, South Carolina
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Valencia, California
Ojai, California
Salem, Oregon
Page, Arizona
Sacramento, California
Hot Springs-Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
Palo Alto, California
Little Rock, Arkansas
St. George, Utah
Charleston, West Virginia

bozman
03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
BOULDER COLORADO is mecca for many cyclists (but real windy today.) Plenty of flats, lots of climbs, many cyclists, good brew, athletic people, and many good coffee shops.

I cast my vote for the Boulder/Denver community. In addition to what is said above there are a lot of bike paths and 300+ days of sunshine.

confente
03-21-2008, 09:55 PM
If Flux and SoCalSteve like the Santa Monica mountains they should ride 20 miles to the east and try the San Gabriel mountains... up Angeles Crest to Mount Wilson (5200ft elev) or Glendora Mountain Road up to Mount Baldy. The fifty mile ride up Angeles Crest Hwy. from Rose Bowl in Pasadena (750ft elev) takes you to Dawson's Saddle (7900ft elev). The ride up from Claremont to Baldy Village and beyond is an exact match for Alp d'Huez in France. The Pacific Ocean is 22mi to the west of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Unique area in the world, always warm and dry year 'round.

toaster
03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I live in Ventura, California but I'd vote for Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks only due to it's proximity to Santa Monica Mountains plus the ease to ride mountain bike to a great network of trails.

Although, Ojai has some sweet epic loops on the mountain bike and you would ride to Santa Barbara, Santa Paula, Fillmore, and even to Santa Monica Mtns from there.

I'd much prefer the simple life living in quaint Ojai. (Pronounced O-hi for you non-Californians.)

paulandmonster
03-21-2008, 10:46 PM
ive lived all over and i love philly great riding great races cheap compared to ny and ct where i used to live winters arnt to bad good local scene if you have any questions shoot me an email

vaxn8r
03-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I had the same choice 15 years ago and picked Eugene. Here were some of my experiences.

Eugene: No smog, mild winters, phenomenal roads leading everywhere. I did a road ride last month from home that I had literally never done before. How is that possible after some 60,000 miles here? Climbing, flats, forests, mountains, coast. Summers and fall are nirvana. Winter and spring are wet and mild. Bike scene is pretty cool here.

Orange County CA. My least favorite riding area. Way too much congestion, everything feels like a freeway or a bike path. Good weather is a plus, although more humid then you think. I don't like brown air. Drivers drive...FAST.

Ohio/N Kentucky. Pretty nice roads out that way with rolling terrain. Some of the good rides you drive to. Summers get pretty sticky, winters are cold and wet or slush or snow. I still love riding there. I could be happy there.

New England, kinda like above. Similar weather. The 6 years I lived in New England it rained so freaking much. One year we didn't see the sun for 6 weeks straight. Summers are sticky and sometimes wetter than you think. Providence seemed like perpetually rain/snow/freezing sidewalks in the winter. I've never hit the deck so much in my life...just walking. Beautiful riding though! I could live there too.

SW (Utah/AZ/NV) Not enough roads so riding is a fight with autos for pavement. Much of the year is baking hot. Winters are nice.

SF Bay area: This is pretty cool. If I could afford to live there and didn't have kids so I could live in town it would be sweet. Great cycling scene. Excellent, epic riding, though not better than what we have in Oregon, the weather can be generally better (though not necessarily as SF gets a lot of moisture in the winter).

Oklahoma. Don't remember a lot. I recall a lot of wind. It's been a while.

Steve in SLO
03-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Do NOT consider San Luis Obispo unless you want year round rideability, sparse traffic, great backroads, hill riding, coastal flats, several local centuries each year and an active bicycling community. Lance and the boys trained here, and Team High Road HQs here. Also do NOT consider this place unless you like like local wine and beer, a laidback lifestyle, and friendly people. BTW: strong coffee is available to all. In fact, I saw Hincapie and the boys at Peets a few weeks ago. They seemed to like the place...
Steve

Wanker
03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
I love riding here in the Southern Willamette valley-easy to ride almost any day of the year if you don't mind a little rain.
Is there a safe road to the Pacific Ocean?
wank

Ray
03-22-2008, 03:30 AM
Do NOT consider San Luis Obispo unless you want year round rideability, sparse traffic, great backroads, hill riding, coastal flats, several local centuries each year and an active bicycling community.
What's the cost of living / housing like there? How close to the fault lines? Just wondering - not moving anytime soon, or ever. But I loved the Big Sur area and I've heard good stuff about Santa Barbara, but God doesn't have enough money to live in SB. How is it further up the coast?

-Ray

Climb01742
03-22-2008, 03:53 AM
Although, Ojai has some sweet epic loops on the mountain bike and you would ride to Santa Barbara, Santa Paula, Fillmore, and even to Santa Monica Mtns from there.

I'd much prefer the simple life living in quaint Ojai. (Pronounced O-hi for you non-Californians.)

not that any nice spot in cali is cheap, but how's the cost of living/real estate in ojai? i've been there a few times on biz and always dug the vibe.

1centaur
03-22-2008, 07:35 AM
An interesting web site that allows you to consider lots of variables (except for the most important for roadies - nice riding) http://www.findyourspot.com

Paradise, California
Ventura, California
Santa Barbara, California
Milwaukie, Oregon
San Luis Obispo-Atascadero, California
Valencia, California
Ojai, California
Salem, Oregon
Sacramento, California
Palo Alto, California

You must have spoken the magic language, because I took the quiz, said I did not want desert or humidity, preferred the Pacific Coast, did not need a lot of rain, and got ZERO picks on the West Coast. They gave me Arizona, the Carolinas, Texas, Georgia, and even Tulsa. In reality, SLO to Solvang is where I would aim if I won the lottery.

djg
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Does anything else count? I know it's not to your point, but it might be a good filter on regional choices, given that there are more than a couple of places in the country with good roads and cycling scenes. Do you have family and/or friends in any particular region of the country? Do they matter? Do you care about anything a city might have to offer? Some folks who like to live in rural settings or small towns don't care much for city offerings at all, whereas others would like to be within a couple of hours of urban culture. If you're in the latter group, what city things matter? (For example, Portland and Seattle are really cool cities, IMO, but there's not a major art museum or first rate symphony orchestra between them, things that might or might not make a difference to you). I could say the same about Boulder.

Places like Oregon and New Mexico have their charms, IMO, but they're way effin' far from the big population clusters in the country, where you might or might not have ties.

For roads, weather, and, depending on the particular town, some very nice amenities, it's hard to beat the central coast of Cali, although the nice places are no bargain. On the east coast, I think that Virginia -- maybe the Charlottesville area -- and NC -- especially near the mountains -- have a lot to offer. Upper New England can be great, if you have something else to occupy you during the winter.

coylifut
03-22-2008, 08:50 AM
What's the cost of living / housing like there? How close to the fault lines? Just wondering - not moving anytime soon, or ever. But I loved the Big Sur area and I've heard good stuff about Santa Barbara, but God doesn't have enough money to live in SB. How is it further up the coast?

-Ray

i went to grad school on in FL and the East coasties often mentioned their fear of earthquakes. I always got a chuckle out of it. I don't think I've met anyone who departed the left coast after experiencing one.

J.Greene
03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
We were hit by 3 hurricanes in 04 here in Oviedo. I'm ready for fewer natural disasters. The floods of the midwest seem the worse to me.

JG

i went to grad school on in FL and the East coasties often mentioned their fear of earthquakes. I always got a chuckle out of it. I don't think I've met anyone who departed the left coast after experiencing one.

caleb
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, if you want 12-month riding, your options are more limited than if you're willing to consider an 8-9 month season.

If you're okay with a real winter, the area between Minneapolis and Madison is really great.

Personally, I'd pick a small town near the St. Croix River (Stillwater, Afton), or the Mississippi (LaCrosse).

There are also a number of nice small towns, like Rochester, Owatanna, or Northfield.

For 6 months of the year it's great.

coylifut
03-22-2008, 09:06 AM
We were hit by 3 hurricanes in 04 here in Oviedo. I'm ready for fewer natural disasters. The floods of the midwest seem the worse to me.

JG

I experienced 24 named storms while living there in 94. The worst wasn't a hurricane. it was tropical storm Gordon. Luckily I lived on the second floor of my apartment building. Floor #1 received 3 feet of water.

Ken Robb
03-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I have known a few folks who had homes in 2 moderately priced places like rural Wisconsin and the inland part of Florida so they had decent weather at each place or 6 months or so. This was done at no more cost to buy than a decent place in San Diego but there is at least double the cost of upkeep.

Obviously this doesn't work for a family with kids.

swoop
03-22-2008, 11:09 AM

malibu. endless climbs to link together in endless ways. different styles of climbs to chose from. temperate weather year round. and if youre in trouble there's always a bail out canyon back to pch.

topanga
old topanga
fernwood
saddle peak
rock store
tuna
latigo
stunt
piuma
mulholland
yerba
decker
encinal
malibu canyon
las flores
deer creek

each climb/descent not like the other and all can be connected.

Louis
03-22-2008, 11:17 AM
So am I hearing that when I retire I need to plan on swapping the house for an RV?

Steve in SLO
03-22-2008, 01:47 PM

-Ray
Ray,
Cost of living is fairly high, mainly in the real estate arena. In SLO itself, a 3Br 2Ba house may be $500K ++, but may me much less expensive ($300K++)in surrounding areas less than 20-30 miles away. The coastal and contiguous inland areas from Solvang/Buellton up to Paso Robles offer lots of varied terrain for road biking, and the mountain biking is fantastic, as is 'mountain bike lite' style cyclocross riding.
As for faults, we're fairly well-situated without risk of the really big ones, although a moderate sized quake hit the area several years ago and caused some damage.
SLO is about 100 mi up the road from SB. I raced in college in SB and know the roads well. By comparison, SLO has a few less long, protracted climbs, but is otherwise relatively similar to SB but with many more roads to choose from.
About 50 miles to the north of us is Cambria, which really starts the Big Sur coastline, and there are a few really nice roads going inland from that area.
Hope I covered the points...kinda looks like a tourism bureau release, doesn't it?

Bittersweet
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM

born and raised in Dublin. parents still there. it is great in the summer. lots of up and down and not a lot of cars. lots of dirt roads. put the bike away in winter and nordic ski.

Bud_E
03-22-2008, 03:27 PM
If Flux and SoCalSteve like the Santa Monica mountains they should ride 20 miles to the east and try the San Gabriel mountains... up Angeles Crest to Mount Wilson (5200ft elev) or Glendora Mountain Road up to Mount Baldy. The fifty mile ride up Angeles Crest Hwy. from Rose Bowl in Pasadena (750ft elev) takes you to Dawson's Saddle (7900ft elev). The ride up from Claremont to Baldy Village and beyond is an exact match for Alp d'Huez in France. The Pacific Ocean is 22mi to the west of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Unique area in the world, always warm and dry year 'round.

+1 . Did the Angeles Crest Century several years ago from JPL in Pasadena to Dawson Saddle and back ( with a side trip through Upper Big Tujunga ). I love Angeles Crest. You start out in deserty terrain and end up going through alpine forests and pass right by Waterman Ski resort. That ride was the worst I ever cramped but I rode through the pain and loved it anyway.

I also love all the canyons mentioned by Swoop and Jack above ( except Las Flores -- oy vey ).

Ray
03-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Ray,
Cost of living is fairly high, mainly in the real estate arena. In SLO itself, a 3Br 2Ba house may be $500K ++, but may me much less expensive ($300K++)in surrounding areas less than 20-30 miles away. The coastal and contiguous inland areas from Solvang/Buellton up to Paso Robles offer lots of varied terrain for road biking, and the mountain biking is fantastic, as is 'mountain bike lite' style cyclocross riding.
As for faults, we're fairly well-situated without risk of the really big ones, although a moderate sized quake hit the area several years ago and caused some damage.
SLO is about 100 mi up the road from SB. I raced in college in SB and know the roads well. By comparison, SLO has a few less long, protracted climbs, but is otherwise relatively similar to SB but with many more roads to choose from.
About 50 miles to the north of us is Cambria, which really starts the Big Sur coastline, and there are a few really nice roads going inland from that area.
Hope I covered the points...kinda looks like a tourism bureau release, doesn't it?
Thanks man. We're not going anywhere, but I was curious. I always thought of LA as the perfect combination of climate and terrain, but several zillion other people got there first and brought their cars and suburban houses. As it is, I pretty much hate the LA area. So the coast north of LA was always intriguing to me. I don't see ever living there, but maybe I'll spend a month there some winter to check it out.

-Ray

Dan Le foot
03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
So am I hearing that when I retire I need to plan on swapping the house for an RV?

A lot to be said for that, Louis.
We are in our motorhome now. We have had the opportunity to visit and ride many of the SW locations cited in this thread.
Some of our favorites are:
Colorado Rockies-our overall favorite (Breckinridge, Leadville, Durango etc)
San Diego (home town)
San Luis Obispo
Santa Barbara/Solvang
Moab
Mammoth Lakes/Bishop ca.
With the RV you can follow the best weather and ride everywhere.
BTW
We are currently in Tucson. It is the most bike friendly city we have seen with bike lanes throughout the City. (If you like riding the flats and loads of traffic in a city). The rides outside of town are fair with the exception of MT Lemmon which is spectacular and one of our very favorite rides anywhere. Other than that riding in Tucson is way over rated in our experience.
We are headed for Silver City New Mexico in a few weeks. We hear that is an outstanding place to live and ride year round. We'll report back
Dan

Bud_E
03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks man. We're not going anywhere, but I was curious. I always thought of LA as the perfect combination of climate and terrain, but several zillion other people got there first and brought their cars and suburban houses. As it is, I pretty much hate the LA area. So the coast north of LA was always intriguing to me. I don't see ever living there, but maybe I'll spend a month there some winter to check it out.

-Ray

Aw c'mon. It ain't so bad here as long as you don't need to drive anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and you have $800,000 to spend on a really small house in a bad neighborhood. ( Just kidding! -- sort of! :beer: )

paulandmonster
03-22-2008, 11:24 PM
i grew up in nyc then westchester and fairfield i lived all over boulder been to cali austin fla and all over the world. for me west coast is out i like cities im not a tree hugger. i like old things loved europe. but being a new yorker at heart i must live in the sphere of influence of nyc so i call philly home nice small town great riding good paths good local scene and cheap. im sure there are better places for riding better overall weather but when your not riding you have to live there

RIHans
03-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Va

This may be the place for me. I've been, I like. Going in June to Cirque. Job hunting to follow.

swoop
03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
to note... the living and riding in la gets more difficult every year, developers are building housing in all the areas above malibu that used to be remote. places you'd ride and not see cars all now have little communities built near them. the drivers in the hills have a lot of aggression towards cyclist..
its changed in the last few years.

you used to be able to put your guard down once up in the hills.... but you can't do that anymore. its too dangerous for the guys on motos and car clubs, the entitled impatient new locals, the over building, and the aggression.

the riding is still epic.... but you just can't let your guard down for a second.
the variety of routes still outweighs the nonsense (as do the quantity of races and training rides).. but that gap is closing.

Ray
03-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Aw c'mon. It ain't so bad here as long as you don't need to drive anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and you have $800,000 to spend on a really small house in a bad neighborhood. ( Just kidding! -- sort of! :beer: )
No diss implied - all a matter of personal taste. I had friends in LA who LOVED it. And between beaches, mountains, climate, cultural opportunities, etc, what's not to love? But there are just too many people for me and too spread out. I tend to like my cities urban but not too enormous. I love San Francisco, Seattle, Philly (mostly), Boston, Portland, DC, and lots of European cities. New York's a bit much for me - I love it but I can only handle it for a few days at a time. I grew up in Tucson and don't like places like that, LA, Phoenix, Vegas, etc. I actually haven't spent any real time in LA since probably '78 or '79 and I couldn't stand it THEN. I probably wouldn't be able to cope now. I've flown and driven through since, but never stay for more than a couple of hours.

-Ray

William
03-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I need a place where there is a change of seasons. I liked Western Oregon because the change was fairly mild. If you don't mind getting wet in the winter, no problem. And as someone else mentioned. Summers and fall in Oregon are usually stunning. New England is nice, but the change here can be a bit brutal. Winter gets pretty cold for sustained riding.

For minimal and generally cycling friendly traffic, varied & beautiful terrain, and mild changes of season....Oregon wins hands down. Atmo of course.

William

Jeff N.
03-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Solvang, CA
Sandy Eggo, CA Jeff N.

coylifut
03-23-2008, 12:05 PM
to note... the living and riding in la gets more difficult every year, developers are building housing in all the areas above malibu that used to be remote. places you'd ride and not see cars all now have little communities built near them. the drivers in the hills have a lot of aggression towards cyclist..
its changed in the last few years.

you used to be able to put your guard down once up in the hills.... but you can't do that anymore. its too dangerous for the guys on motos and car clubs, the entitled impatient new locals, the over building, and the aggression.

the riding is still epic.... but you just can't let your guard down for a second.
the variety of routes still outweighs the nonsense (as do the quantity of races and training rides).. but that gap is closing.

I think you could substitute LA for many Western US cities and be dead on with your comments. Portland is one of them. The comment that applies most to here is "the entitled impatient new locals." These are the folks that have no right to gripe. Not long ago I was riding one of the standard rides and a guy in a Subaru with bike racks on top, starts flipping me off and giving me a ration. He waits for me on the side of the road and yells, "go ride in your own neighborhood." I said "I lived here all my life and besides you can't give me any $hit driving an Outback. Hummer, Corvette - fine, but guys in Subarus and minivans need to keep there mouths shut."

Ken Robb
03-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I need a place where there is a change of seasons. .

William
Heck I can get a change of seasons the same day. I went cross-country skiing on Palomar Mtn. at 5,000 feet in the morning and body-surfing at La Jolla Shores in the afternoon. I was really kind of pooped from the skiing but I wanted to be able to say I did it. :)

Louis
03-23-2008, 12:32 PM
a guy in a Subaru with bike racks on top, starts flipping me off and giving me a ration. He waits for me on the side of the road and yells, "go ride in your own neighborhood."

What an idiot. Goes to show you that cyclists can be @ssholes too. :crap:

Maybe you should rent a Hummer, track him down when he's out riding, and give him a taste of his own medicine...

BURCH
03-23-2008, 02:10 PM
"go ride in your own neighborhood."

What the heck does that mean. Did you have a neighborhood license plate on your bike?

I do have to admit that i wanted to really honk and yell at a cyclist the other day, but I didn't because that is just dangerous to do (didn't want to startle him). He is riding next to his buddy and in the middle of the lane chatting it up and going about 10mph. He was completely oblivious to traffic behind him. This wasn't a novice. He was riding a nice bike with a full cycling attire. I couldn't get around the guy for a good mile or so. I have nothing but patience for my fellow cyclists while driving, but this guy needed a beat down. You don't ride 2 abreast like that.

bcm119
03-24-2008, 08:40 AM
What the heck does that mean. Did you have a neighborhood license plate on your bike?

I do have to admit that i wanted to really honk and yell at a cyclist the other day, but I didn't because that is just dangerous to do (didn't want to startle him). He is riding next to his buddy and in the middle of the lane chatting it up and going about 10mph. He was completely oblivious to traffic behind him. This wasn't a novice. He was riding a nice bike with a full cycling attire. I couldn't get around the guy for a good mile or so. I have nothing but patience for my fellow cyclists while driving, but this guy needed a beat down. You don't ride 2 abreast like that.
Nice bike and full cycling attire doesn't mean he's not a novice-- at least around here.

djg
03-24-2008, 10:16 AM

Probably just a neighborhood parking sticker on the seat tube. Happy Acres Estate Homes, Represent -- that kinda thing. When he rides, he does 200 laps around his block at tempo, with occasional intervals up and down the driveway. He has the roof rack to take the bikes in for maintenance and for occasional visits to their other bike friends.

Most public roadways around here are actually open to the public.

chrisroph
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
I grew up in and starting riding while living in socal, pch, topanga and malibu canyons, decker, yerba, rock store, latigo, etc etc and its great riding but i became jaded bc of air pollution and people. i've never had more guns pointed at me as in the greater la canyons.

then i moved to the front range of co and there are some great rides there but i missed the variety of roads available in socal and the winters are harsh.

then i moved to the portland area and, all in all, its the best cycling scene i've ever experienced. you do get tired this time of the year of riding your winter bike and dealing with the wet.

bend had out of this world mountain biking in the summers and xc skiing in the winters. the road cycling is pretty good too but the variety is somewhat limited.

in the springs and fall, there are many days you can both ride and ski. i'll probably retire to bend.

but the santa barbara to san luis area is absolutely some of the best riding i've ever experienced. the terrain, climate, variety of roads, and relatively low population density is pretty much out of this world.

Steelhead
03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Tucson; huge road cycling scene, reasonable cost of living, year round riding. Do some research, not nearly as hot as Phoenix during the summer. If you compare comfort index, it is better than Ks during the summer. Big enough to have have fun without being too large.

Scott

What about Flagstaff??

swoop
03-24-2008, 03:41 PM
is liz hatch a place or just a state of mind?

mflaherty37
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
This is a late post but I suggest riding the Three State Three Mountain Challenge in Chattanooga, TN. It's the neatest terrain and scenery I've found on a bike ride. Good weather and just a good place with lots of neat sites.

http://www.chattbike.com/

mikki
03-24-2008, 11:37 PM

As for me, here is my own utopia list for cycling:

The quality of roads here in OC (the smoothest) and weather conducive for year-round dry riding, the scenery of Oregon & Central California Coast, (Big Sur & SLO area), Ojai or Solvang (vineyards and lavender fields) and for great hill climbing and absoluely the coffees of Oregon. Can't beat the plethora of unique coffee houses in Oregon!

You guys have me wanting to go ride in Eugene!! We've put it on our list of must do's.

William
03-25-2008, 04:55 AM
You guys have me wanting to go ride in Eugene!! We've put it on our list of must do's.

Don't go to Eugene...it's full of Ducks. :p Go where the Beavers go....Corvallis. :cool:

Just kidding. The Corvallis/Eugene sections of the Willamette Valley are top notch for riding, winery’s, and great coffee. Have fun!

William

andy mac
03-25-2008, 05:37 AM
in the usa i have lived in portland OR, san fran and new york.

marin county in the bay area wins by a mile for me. wish i was living back there now.

SF/marin/bay area = road and mtn bike riding. clubs. training groups. great shops. races. year round riding. tahoe. napa. santa cruz.

SF has good energy, food, drink, arts, career options, nude fun runs etc.

(oregon - too wet.)

(new york - too hot/too cold. dead***** drivers.)

:beer: :beer:

Bob Ross
03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Here in the fingerlakes I can bike for 30 min sometimes and never see a car.

Heck, I know cyclists here in New York City who can do that! :)

BUTCH RIDES
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
anywhere that has open roads,light traffic , nice temps. and good donuts
b.

Elefantino
03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Here.

http://www.panicdoctor.com/driving%20-%20winding%20roads.jpg

1centaur
03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Here.

http://www.panicdoctor.com/driving%20-%20winding%20roads.jpg

1centaur good cycling roads rule of thumb: if it has a double yellow line, there's a reason for that: more cars than I want sharing the road with me.

Kahuna
03-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Your honeymoon on Maui and you didn't call me? Man, the three of us could of hung out! :D

I totally agree about Maui, but then again I'm biased. There's a reason why more and cyclists are discovering this place and it's not because of those gals who wear coconuts and grass skirts.

-K

Maui

Was there last year on my honeymoon and saw cyclists all over the place. More importantly... it's MAUI!!!

maunahaole
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
I've been over to Maui a couple of times and even though I have not turned a wheel there, I have to agree that it looks like killer riding. A lot less traffic than here and significantly nicer roads.

Elefantino
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
1centaur good cycling roads rule of thumb: if it has a double yellow line, there's a reason for that: more cars than I want sharing the road with me.
I was thinking more along the lines of "this is a nice, quiet, windy road without cars."

But you win on a TKO.