PDA

View Full Version : Which Phil BB for Campy Racing Triple?

ispy
03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Anyone still use the Campy Racing Triple crankset?

I just got one (1998/99 vintage) and want to mate it to a Phil bb. Which Phil bb, though? 110.5mm or 115mm? Campy said to use 115mm Centaur, asymmetrical, but added they're not sure what Phil would say. But I thought the 98/99 vintage used symmetrical spindles. And my LBS is not sure either. I emailed Phil too but would appreciate user experiences since I also read somewhere that various widths work...

Oh and the frame has an English bb shell, the seattube is not oversized, and uses braze-on front derailleur.

Thanks.

Orin
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Anyone still use the Campy Racing Triple crankset?

I just got one (1998/99 vintage) and want to mate it to a Phil bb. Which Phil bb, though? 110.5mm or 115mm? Campy said to use 115mm Centaur, asymmetrical, but added they're not sure what Phil would say. But I thought the 98/99 vintage used symmetrical spindles. And my LBS is not sure either. I emailed Phil too but would appreciate user experiences since I also read somewhere that various widths work...

Oh and the frame has an English bb shell, the seattube is not oversized, and uses braze-on front derailleur.

Thanks.

Depends on your seat tube diameter. You are safe with a 115mm AC-H or Centaur. You might get away with a 111mm with a 1 1/4 seat tube. You won't with 1 3/8 seat tube (the front derailleur cant move far enough inwards to shift to the smallest ring).

The AC-H is reliable works well and I haven't killed one yet in spite of some very wet brevets/fleches. I hate the scalloped edge that makes holding the installation tool on difficult. The Centaur uses the same tool as Chorus/Record, but frame prep is more critical or you won't get it up to its torque spec without it binding.

Orin.

fierte_poser
03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I am not aware of an asymmterical Centaur BB. Are you talking about the current (2008) Centaur BB's? I believe all of those are symmetrical.

The Chorus and Record Triple BB's are asymmetrical and are meant to be used with late model Chorus and Record Triple cranks.

Not sure about the 1998/1999 Racing Triple cranks.

Kent

Alan
03-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I got the email below from Campy after I asked a similar question.

Alan
---------------------------------------------------

Your dealer is correct. The Race triple uses a symetrical bottom bracket.

The Chorus and Record triple used an asymetrical bottom bracket, which can't be used with your Racing Triple.
Best regards,
Michele