PDA

View Full Version : Paging TooTall

musgravecycles
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Yo TT, saw this and thought of you bro...

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/03/credit-agricole-tubular-technique.html

;)

Too Tall
03-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Said Ghatttt daaaaamn. That mechanic has a little Elvis in him. TCB.

I'm going to sleep well tonight....plan to get another friend off those awful clinchers ;) Sigh.

jhcakilmer
03-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Man, that's a lot of work.

So, I'm considering switching, but when I look at it empirically, it seems as though clinchers are the more logical choice.

Clinchers:
More tire selection
More rim selection
Lower rolling resistance (on average)
easier to change
ride quality (plenty of the modern clinchers have higher TPIs)
price

I wouldn't mind committing to fully trying them, but I need to hear some good reasons.

My ears are open guys!!

Too Tall
03-21-2008, 06:34 AM
You want a rational explaination ask 11.4
You need convincing read Joyce.
It takes passion and love of bicycle culture to train and race tubulars.

Big Daddy
03-21-2008, 06:41 AM
You want a rational explaination ask 11.4
You need convincing read Joyce.
It takes passion and love of bicycle culture to train and race tubulars.

you won't go back!

i had to slum on my clincher SL's this week since all my carbon tubies are being re-shod...and there is such a distinct difference...even rolling open tubulars.

jhcakilmer-- no thinking required. Sniff the glue, you will understand.

Too Tall
03-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Yo TT, saw this and thought of you bro...

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/03/credit-agricole-tubular-technique.html

;)
I've been looking at the mechainics mise en place to offer some observations.
Cool, he uses a notched scraper to shape the dry glue bits that want to hang over the brake surface after taking off an old tyre. I use both an old knife edge or a shaped scraper...I like his notched version. He must stretch the he!! out of those conti's and say that because he has a decent amt. of psi in the tyres when mounting and these tyres tend to go on tight. The solvent bottles are a mystery. I'm sure he uses that to thin his glue and clean his fancy glue brushes ;) he he. The pic. of him wiping the tyre after install is misleading. My observation and practice is to wipe down / smooth glue using a clean cotton rag for glue that creeps out. I'd never never use solvent to clean up...that will only lead to comprimise of the base tape :(

I'd definately get a ton of satisfaction as chief bottle washer and tyre gluing monkey. A job well done and esp. in support of this sport "gets me" what can I say? Sign me up.

zank
03-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Man, that's a lot of work.

So, I'm considering switching, but when I look at it empirically, it seems as though clinchers are the more logical choice.

Clinchers:
More tire selection
More rim selection
Lower rolling resistance (on average)
easier to change
ride quality (plenty of the modern clinchers have higher TPIs)
price

I wouldn't mind committing to fully trying them, but I need to hear some good reasons.

My ears are open guys!!

Logic should not enter into the equation. It's about the love, man! :)

All logic would (does) point towards clinchers for an every-day road tire. If you want tubulars though, you simply want tubulars. It's all about the journey.

sspielman
03-21-2008, 07:04 AM
I've been looking at the mechainics mise en place to offer some observations.
Cool, he uses a notched scraper to shape the dry glue bits that want to hang over the brake surface after taking off an old tyre. I use both an old knife edge or a shaped scraper...I like his notched version. He must stretch the he!! out of those conti's and say that because he has a decent amt. of psi in the tyres when mounting and these tyres tend to go on tight. The solvent bottles are a mystery. I'm sure he uses that to thin his glue and clean his fancy glue brushes ;) he he. The pic. of him wiping the tyre after install is misleading. My observation and practice is to wipe down / smooth glue using a clean cotton rag for glue that creeps out. I'd never never use solvent to clean up...that will only lead to comprimise of the base tape :(

I'd definately get a ton of satisfaction as chief bottle washer and tyre gluing monkey. A job well done and esp. in support of this sport "gets me" what can I say? Sign me up.

I have seen more than one team mechanic mount tubulars that were inflated pretty tight....and they just muscle them on. It must require practice...but I have noticed that they are easy to center and align that way.
Also, to clean up any squeeze out on the sides, I will generally use WD40...it is only a "partial solvent" for the glue and allows you to work it off with a little rubbing...but the sidewall latex/base tape cement seems impervious to it. Of course, it's best to not have to do that at all....