PDA

View Full Version : Ball replies to non selection at Tour de Georgia

Monthly Payment
03-20-2008, 03:50 PM
"Ya know what, challenge me! Please, challenge me to go out and just in spite of you not selecting us, I'll make a better race, a cooler race, a more dynamic race, a harder and faster race - thanks very much for inspiring me!" he said. "I'll send Medalist Sports a thank you note!"

M.Sommers
03-20-2008, 04:59 PM
"Ya know what, challenge me! Please, challenge me to go out and just in spite of you not selecting us, I'll make a better race, a cooler race, a more dynamic race, a harder and faster race - thanks very much for inspiring me!" he said. "I'll send Medalist Sports a thank you note!"

I am torn with RR. I see both sides to the opinions on Ball and his team. Still, when he speaks (like this) it TOTALLY reminds me of the speech Dirk Diggler gave in 'Boogie Nights'. :)

BumbleBeeDave
03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
. . . he expected them to be chosen?

Results? . . . They don't have many, especially this year.

Big names? . . . They have those. Hamilton, Botero, Sevilla. But a good argument could be made that they're "big names" for the wrong reasons. And they just parted ways with Cipo, the only "big name" who isn't big because of doping scandal.

Professionalism? Organization? . . . Ball himself has made sure they aren't highly regarded for those.

It's pretty apparent by this time that Ball is a lot of bluster and not much else. I predict by the end of this season he'll run out of shallow, easily impressed people in cycling that he can overawe with flash and leggy cheerleaders. Then he will move on to professional kart racing or some such where he can spend his money. And he'll convince himself that the team's lack of success was caused by everyone but him.

In the meantime, buy that cool team kit while you can, because it won't be around long.

BBD

Bruce K
03-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Didn't he say the exact same thing when his alleged sponsorship deals blew up with a couple of different bicycle and wheels manufacturers?

Mr. Ball may "get it" about some things, but he apparently doesn't quite "get it" about bicycle racing quite yet.

Maybe he should give Johann a call and get the condensed version of how and why teams get excluded from high profile events and the equity in those decisions.

BK

M.Sommers
03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
. . . he expected them to be chosen?

Results? . . . They don't have many, especially this year.

Big names? . . . They have those. Hamilton, Botero, Sevilla. But a good argument could be made that they're "big names" for the wrong reasons. And they just parted ways with Cipo, the only "big name" who isn't big because of doping scandal.

Professionalism? Organization? . . . Ball himself has made sure they aren't highly regarded for those.

It's pretty apparent by this time that Ball is a lot of bluster and not much else. I predict by the end of this season he'll run out of shallow, easily impressed people in cycling that he can overawe with flash and leggy cheerleaders. Then he will move on to professional kart racing or some such where he can spend his money. And he'll convince himself that the team's lack of success was caused by everyone but him.

In the meantime, buy that cool team kit while you can, because it won't be around long.

BBD

You are right on here. I will do all I can to watch ToG, but I have to admit...I'd reallllllly like to see Hamilton, Botero and Sevilla in the saddle. :beer:

rcnute
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Ball is simply tiresome at this point.

BumbleBeeDave
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd reallllllly like to see Hamilton, Botero and Sevilla in the saddle. :beer:

I'd love to see Hamilton really ride a race again. I just don't think it's going to happen. I sadly think there will be more out of Puerto, his name will be on it, and yet he will still keep denying he's done anything. Beyond a certain point he stops being a noble iconoclast and starts being a human cartoon. Perhaps he's reached that point already . . . :(

BBD

Monthly Payment
03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Didn't he say the exact same thing when his alleged sponsorship deals blew up with a couple of different bicycle and wheels manufacturers?

Mr. Ball may "get it" about some things, but he apparently doesn't quite "get it" about bicycle racing quite yet.

Maybe he should give Johann a call and get the condensed version of how and why teams get excluded from high profile events and the equity in those decisions.

BK

I was trying to make a joke - maybe it didn't come across as one. I changed Ball's comments about HED to Medalist sports. Sadly, I expect Ball to throw such a tantrum about not being selected.

M.Sommers
03-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I'd love to see Hamilton really ride a race again. I just don't think it's going to happen. I sadly think there will be more out of Puerto, his name will be on it, and yet he will still keep denying he's done anything. Beyond a certain point he stops being a noble iconoclast and starts being a human cartoon. Perhaps he's reached that point already . . . :(

BBD

On the elliptical tonight I had my iPod cranked up, this song from Morrissey came on and I thought of Tyler/the whole scene (at 1:55 into the video especially):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEXsFbuF2E

'Interesting Drug'
-Morrissey

There are some bad people on the RIGHT
There are some bad people on the RIGHT
They're saving their own skins by
Ruining other people's lives
Bad, bad people on the RIGHT
Young married couple in debt
- ever felt had ?
Young married couple in debt
- ever felt had ?

On a government scheme
Designed to kill your dream
Oh mum, oh dad
Once poor, always poor
La la la la la
Interesting drug
The one that you took
TELL THE TRUTH - IT REALLY HELPED YOU
An interesting drug
The one that you took
God, it really really helped you
You wonder why we're only half-ashamed ?

"Because ENOUGH is TOO MUCH!
...and look around ...
...can you blame us ? CAN you blame us ? "

On a government scheme
Designed to kill your dream
Oh mum, oh dad
Once poor, always poor
La la la la la
Interesting drug
The one that you took
TELL THE TRUTH - IT REALLY HELPED YOU
An interesting drug
The one that you took
God, it really really helped you
You wonder why we're only half-ashamed ?

"Because ENOUGH is TOO MUCH!
...and look around ...