PDA

View Full Version : Popularity of Oval Products

Sasha18
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I've been wondering this for a while now, why are Oval bars, stems, and seatposts so popular? I can't say their logo is all that chic. Their weight doesn't seem all that special. Is there something about the design I don't understand. Is it the good price point? I'm really not trying to bash them; in fact, I'm open to liking them. Mostly, I'm just curious. Educate me.

coylifut
03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I hardly ever see 'em anywhere but on my bike. Oh, they make two bends in round bars and still offer a 26.0 clamp. That's why I like 'em.

Erik.Lazdins
03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
26.0 is the new 31.8

michael white
03-20-2008, 11:17 AM
it's just good stuff at a good price. Good for riders, not for collectors.

Sasha18
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
They were on Mr Sach's bikes at the show. I think Darren's got them on his bike. Slipstream rides them. A bike on cyclingnews today has them. Some of it is sponsor deals, like FSA getting on all sorts of Colnago bikes.

the 26.0 part makes sense, if you're into that kind of thing.

regularguy412
03-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I have an Oval stem on my fixie. The lack of overstated graphics is what I like best. Plus, the stems come in a variety of lengths and clamp diameters, so it's easy to get exactly what you want- fit-wise. They also aren't excessively pricey. The Reverse Bolt Technology design on the removable faceplate is innovative and seems more structurally sound to me,, since I've only ridden one-bolt clamp stems before. Aluminum has long been used as a stem material, so the risk of failure is not as likely (read: CF).

I just think they don't do a great job at marketing their products. People just don't 'know' about'em.

MIke in AR:beer:

MilanoTom
03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Their aluminum stems, bars and seatposts sort of remind me of the (non-WCS)aluminum Ritchey stuff I used to buy five or so years ago. The quality seems solid and the prices are right.

I don't really care one way or the other about 26.0 vs. 31.8 except that I already had a bunch of 26.0 stems and bars before the 31.8 trend started. I like the flexiblility to buy new bars and stems that are compatible with what I already own.

Regards.
Tom

DarrenCT
03-20-2008, 11:37 AM
I hardly ever see 'em anywhere but on my bike. Oh, they make two bends in round bars and still offer a 26.0 clamp. That's why I like 'em.

exactlamondo. u guys get it

nice classic bend, non flashy graphics, 26 clamp, reasonably priced

sbornia
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Their aluminum stems, bars and seatposts sort of remind me of the (non-WCS)aluminum Ritchey stuff I used to buy five or so years ago.

Definitely a connection there. Oval's founder used to be the GM of Ritchey's European operations.

MilanoTom
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
it's just good stuff at a good price. Good for riders, not for collectors.

In thirty years, when collectors want to restore a vintage 2008 Richard Sachs, it will be.

fiamme red
03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Their stuff doesn't appeal to me aesthetically.

I'll take shiny silver Nitto instead, thanks very much.

Grant McLean
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
I've been wondering this for a while now, why are Oval bars, stems, and seatposts so popular?

I don't think the Oval stuff really is that popular.
Oval makes a really nice round bend bar, if you like sort of thing.

There are tons of companies making bars and stems.
FSA seems the most popular, followed by Deda Elementi, Easton, Ritchey,
Zipp, PRO, the new 3T... it goes on and on.

Nitto has a big following, although you don't see their ahead stems that much,
they are very popular with the Rivendell crowd, and the noodle bar is unique.

ITM was popular, and widely spec'd about 5 years ago, now almost nowhere.
Cinelli seems to have fallen off the map too.

-g

Sasha18
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
You're right, I shouldn't have said _so_ popular. They look generic to me. For a similar MSRP, one could buy a Thomson, which seems a lot more sexy. But I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with price margins and dealer inducements, things I don't understand.

e-RICHIE
03-20-2008, 12:51 PM
You're right, I shouldn't have said _so_ popular. They look generic to me. For a similar MSRP, one could buy a Thomson, which seems a lot more sexy. But I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with price margins and dealer inducements, things I don't understand.
i don't understand either.
for me, it's visceral atmo.
i love the stuff, and would pay bust out retail even if they didn't sponsor.
that is the true testmo.

rphetteplace
03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
that is the true testmo.

Putting a layback Thomson on a RS seems wrong in so many ways. Just visually doesn't work.

MilanoTom
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM

It's all personal preference. I never really liked the look of Thompson stems (or any of that machined-looking stuff).

Sasha18
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
that is the true testmo.

But WHY do you love the stuff? That's what I want to understand. Is it a careful attention to detail, the wide range of products, a particular design innovation? Or is it simply that the red color matches your chosen frame color so well?

Brendan Quirk
03-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I think the RBT (reverse bolt technology) on the stems makes an awful lot of sense. Especially if you're a finicky bike part adjuster, or if you pack your bike for traveling with any kind of frequency.

The bars are just plain comfy. The new R701 alloy is just perfect in every way. No flexy, no breaky, feels perfect with both the Campy Ergo & the SRAM DoubleTap (haven't tried shimano). You can flatten yr hands out at the hood/bar interface all day long.

Their posts offer very precise nose up/down adjustment.

None of this makes it necessarily BETTER than Deda or Ritchey. But it makes it so it works really well. Also, from a purely practical perspective, Oval is super tight with QBP so your LBS can source any tiny, dinky replacement bar for any Oval stem or seatpost or aero bar with absolute ease & speed.

It's well-made, trustworthy, reasonably priced, high-ROI stuff.

Grant McLean
03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
But WHY do you love the stuff? That's what I want to understand. Is it a careful attention to detail, the wide range of products, a particular design innovation? Or is it simply that the red color matches your chosen frame color so well?

The Oval stem is forged, not CNC machined. There were a number of CNC
constructed stems that failed in the late 90's and some folks decided that
it made sense to support those brands who had solid manufacturing techniques
making high quality forgings. The round bar was also scarce for a few years,
and only recently becoming more widely obtainable. The deda round bend
was always in their line, but used to be very hard to find actual stock. Oval
to their credit listened, and provided the round design, even though the units
in sales didn't make that a profitable buisness decision.

gotta love this sport. we could all go sell 'eau de whatever in a bottle
and make way more money...

-g

e-RICHIE
03-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Oval
to their credit listened,

-g
oval concepts listened (http://www.richardsachs.com/ovalsachs.pdf) atmo.

the stuff is elegant, the stems are forged as well as light,
the parts are all in stock and available, and it's a company
that cares - and listened.

Sasha18
03-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the informative posts. I think that about sums it all up for me. You can return to discussing beer, MIA forum members, and how to avoid politics.

Grant McLean
03-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the informative posts. I think that about sums it all up for me. You can return to discussing beer, MIA forum members, and how to avoid politics.

how about next we talk about the recent trend of saddle companies making matching handlebar tape?

what's a metrosexual to do?

A) match the tape brand to the bars/stem
B) match saddle and tape
C) match tape brand with frame
D) buy a Sachs, and let Atmo choose

-g

chrisroph
03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
The stuff flat out works. The stems and seatposts are spiffy, strong, light and cheap, the bars are round (even though the reach is too short for me, the deda and fsa deep drops work better on my bikes), and erichie and coy use it.

e-RICHIE
03-20-2008, 03:07 PM
and erichie and coy use it.
oval concepts>tail>sinatra>atmo

chrisroph
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
oval concepts>MORE>tail>sinatra>atmo

:beer:

Ginger
03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Oval round bars have the shape I prefer.

That trumps what graphics it has on it or what color it is.

flux
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I love my Oval Concepts Stems, Bars and Seatposts. Best products for Cyclocross period (.)

rphetteplace
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
oval concepts listened (http://www.richardsachs.com/ovalsachs.pdf) atmo.

the stuff is elegant, the stems are forged as well as light,
the parts are all in stock and available, and it's a company
that cares - and listened.

tell them to make 46's

e-RICHIE
03-20-2008, 03:40 PM
tell them to make 46's
i have -
they domo.

rphetteplace
03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
i have -
they domo.

linkmo

norman neville
03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
i have -
they domo.

are the oval bars 46c-c or o-o? 46c-c like nitto would be sweet, even if mr jerk doesn't like 'em.

also 140 90* and -17* stems in 26.0 would be lovely.

just sayin'.

e-RICHIE
03-20-2008, 06:42 PM
are the oval bars 46c-c or o-o? 46c-c like nitto would be sweet, even if mr jerk doesn't like 'em.

also 140 90* and -17* stems in 26.0 would be lovely.

just sayin'.
oval concepts measures c-c atmo.
i had you pegged for a man of small stature.
yes? no?

Grant McLean
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
yes? no?

his shoulders are broad from carrying liberal
amounts of weight

-g

norman neville
03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
oval concepts measures c-c atmo.
yes? no?

i tried the wider bars and liked 'em. got less pain late in the season from my various broken, dislocated, cracked, and torn shoulders. stupid motorcycles. and cars. and mountain bikes. and road bikes. and football.

i happen to be a man of average stature.

for my family.

58-60 c-c frames.

six two-ish.

225-230 prime playing weight.

is the pego-richie tubing available in a stout version?

jtferraro
03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
by the Oval stuff too, and think I like the reverse stem bolt idea best. Their alu bars, stem, and post would be perfectmo on the incoming Zanc crossmo (unless I decide on silver). My question is...are their stems (or ANY stems) avail for a 1" steerer anymore (26mm x 1") without having to utilize a shim?

Thanks,

Jeff N.
03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
True 1" stems, sadly, have pretty much dried up. I've searched and searched. The used market or custom is about the only way. Jeff N.

e-RICHIE
03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
My question is...are their stems (or ANY stems) avail for a 1" steerer anymore (26mm x 1") without having to utilize a shim?

Thanks,
atmo shims are fine and not a compromise.

DarrenCT
03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
atmo shims are fine and not a compromise.

i agree. i have a oval stem on my sachs and kirk and it works fine

shim da da dim

shinomaster
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
i agree. i have a oval stem on my sachs and kirk and it works fine

shim da da dim

Yeah that stem you rode today has a shim on that 1" muscle forkmo.

DarrenCT
03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah that stem you rode today has a shim on that 1" muscle forkmo.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3043/seahawkli3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7033/ospreycw1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

shinomaster
03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3043/seahawkli3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7033/ospreycw1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sea hawk?

brians647
03-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Sea hawk?

Holy cow! He brought his camera to Portland too?

Fixed
03-21-2008, 07:02 AM
I've been wondering this for a while now, why are Oval bars, stems, and seatposts so popular? I can't say their logo is all that chic. Their weight doesn't seem all that special. Is there something about the design I don't understand. Is it the good price point? I'm really not trying to bash them; in fact, I'm open to liking them. Mostly, I'm just curious. Educate me.
the watchmaker says they are great that is good enough for me bro
cheers