PDA

View Full Version : Help the American Economy(comedy)

dvs cycles
03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
As you may have heard the Bush Administration said each and every one of us would now get a nice rebate.

If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China.

If we spend it on gasoline it will all go to the Arabs

If we spend it on fruit and vegetables it will all go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatamala.

If we purchase a good car it will all go to Japan.

If we purchase useless crap it will all go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America, so the only way to keep that money here at home is to buy prostitutes and beer, since those are the only businesses still in the US.

My name is Elliot Spitzer and I approved this ad... :beer:

Avispa
03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Time to laugh with a sad thought.... (place icon here)

What a pitty!

..A..

M.Sommers
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
:beer:

stevep
03-19-2008, 05:10 PM
you could use the cash to buy a serotta bike frame.
made in usa

Vancouverdave
03-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm waiting for the news announcements about a week after everyone gets their Bush Bucks--the ones about the wave of donations to Democratic political candidates and liberal nonprofits.

mike p
03-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Good luck, you'd need a hell of alot more than 1 rebate ck. (600.-1200.)

Mike

made in usa

Ahneida Ride
03-19-2008, 07:10 PM
and if ya deposit it in the bank, they will use fractional reserve to
create up to 9 more just like it, also outa thin air. :eek:

That ain't comedy ????

mflaherty37
03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
made in usa

Tubes from Italy, then outsourced to China.

saab2000
03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
My US bikes -

Serotta x 2
Eddy Merckx made by Litespeed
Croll x 2
Thomson seatpost and stem (on different bikes)

one to follow.

It's a global market place. But I do sorta enjoy buying from folks who might participate in my economy.

What goes around, comes around.

PCR
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I wish I were making what I made in the late 90's. How sad. Anyway, I bought an American made Gunnar.

William
03-24-2008, 03:54 AM
So, if you use your Bush bucks to buy an American made frame, how many parts can you actually put on it that are MADE in America?? Manufactured somehere else and assembled here doesn't count. :no:

Can it be done? :confused:

William

97CSI
03-24-2008, 05:37 AM
So, if you use your Bush bucks to buy an American made frame, how many parts can you actually put on it that are MADE in America?? Manufactured somehere else and assembled here doesn't count. :no:

Can it be done? :confused:

William- Stem & seatpost - Moots, Dean and a few other bespoke Ti and Thomson.
- BB, headset and hubs - PW & CK.
- Wheelsmith for wheel parts - do they do rims? Zipp and a few other high-end made in the U.S.
- Shifters, FD, RD, cranksets, pedals, saddle, tires, tubes - all from either Europe (Campy, Mavic, Conti, Michelin, TA, Stronglight, etc.) or Asia (Shimano, SRAM, FSA, DiaCompe, etc.). Reynolds carbon in Mexico?
Please add to the list of U.S. manufacturers......if possible.
Am thinking that there are probably more U.S. makers of bike parts today than there has ever been. While Rock Shox and a couple of others have gone, historically, bike parts have primarily come from overseas.

39cross
03-24-2008, 05:47 AM
brakes/hubs:

PAUL COMPONENT ENGINEERING
11204 MIDWAY
CHICO, CA 95928

97CSI
03-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks. That adapter they make to move the bar-end shifters is nice. Makes the selection of the bar for my new touring bike more complex as I now can consider flat bars.

Sandy
03-24-2008, 06:19 AM
and if ya deposit it in the bank, they will use fractional reserve to
create up to 9 more just like it, also outa thin air. :eek:

That ain't comedy ????

Nope. It's magic! :)

:) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Sandy$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :)

Too Tall
03-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Well, you are dead wrong about the prostitutes. Apparently there are 10's of thousands who are essentially slaved to the trade brought illegially from eastern block, china etc. etc. sorry to be a wet blankey yo.

Seriously, if I get a check...which is a real doubt...it goes direct to a certain custom framemaker who most def. is made in the USA. Yep, he's a made man. Nuff said.

97CSI
03-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Well, you are dead wrong about the prostitutes. Apparently there are 10's of thousands who are essentially slaved to the trade brought illegially from eastern block, china etc. etc. sorry to be a wet blankey yo.

Seriously, if I get a check...which is a real doubt...it goes direct to a certain custom framemaker who most def. is made in the USA. Yep, he's a made man. Nuff said.Am sure you are correct about the prostitutes, but perhaps not in the 10s of thousands. At least, I hope not (though one is too many if it is forced).

Same with my rebate. Assuming it actually shows up. :rolleyes:

Too Tall
03-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Am sure you are correct about the prostitutes, but perhaps not in the 10s of thousands. At least, I hope not (though one is too many if it is forced).

Same with my rebate. Assuming it actually shows up. :rolleyes:

Right. I got a little unnerved. Apologies for exaggeration.

93legendti
03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
As you may have heard the Bush Administration said each and every one of us would now get a nice rebate.

...If we spend it on gasoline it will all go to the Arabs...:beer:

I realize the thread is in jest, but as of 2006 actually over 50% of our oil/gas came from Canada and Mexico and only 19% from the Persian Golf (interesting name, since Iranians aren't Arabs).

My rebate check will be spent on bike stuff: deposit on a new American bike.

saab2000
03-24-2008, 09:15 AM
My rebate check will be spent on bike stuff: deposit on a new American bike.

Mine too! :banana:

I don't have nearly enough bike stuff.... :rolleyes:

93legendti
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Mine too! :banana:

I don't have nearly enough bike stuff.... :rolleyes:
Who does? :D