PDA

View Full Version : 1993 serotta catalog

cody.wms
03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
anyone have a digitized version of the 1993 catalog? Im looking for the stuff that pertains to the legend CRL.

I found a link in the archives to the years around 1993, but no luck finding the 93 catalog itself.

Thanks in advance,

Cody Williams
Arlington, VA USA

Gothard
03-19-2008, 01:41 PM
1994, close enough?

justinf
03-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I have a '94 CRL and frickin love it, compared to some pretty swanky peers.

deechee
03-19-2008, 02:36 PM
out of curiosity, is this the colorado1? Just asking since I have a CIII and may have bought another...

justinf
03-19-2008, 02:54 PM
this was what would become the CSi in '95.

93LegendTG
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I have a '93 catalogue; what exactly are you looking for?

Chris
03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
My 93 CRL (which I stupidly sold years ago when I was in grad school) is the frame with which all others are compared. None have met its mark yet, and there have been a lot...

cody.wms
03-19-2008, 05:00 PM
im glad to see people feel so strongly about these frames. I recently bought it off of the i-bob list and will have it painted when it gets here. Im going to make sure to have a thread about the build.

93LegendTG: Id like to see any of the info about the frame itself. I called Serotta earlier and they were able to tell me the geometry, but no general info on the Legend CSL. I didnt really want to take their time to read the catalog to me and tell me about the pictures. The above scan is certainly helpful ,and I was able to search the forums and get a feel for the frame, but im interested in Serotta's marketing and spin of the frame in 93.

David Kirk
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
What info are you looking for? Anything specific?

Dave

cody.wms
03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
I guess alot of my questions will be answered once I get it here and get it together, but i might as well throw them out there.

1. Tire clearance, I see that it has a touch longer chainstays, what kind of tire will the frame clear?

2. I read on the forums that it has a triple-butted top tube, what else differentiates the tubeset on this bike?

3. Is it suitable for a small front rack and handlebar bag? I have visions of running it as an all-arounder type bike. Id prefer to have a front load, but I have a bagman that I run a rear load on another bike.

Dave, geometry wise, how do you feel about it? I guess thats a broad question, but how would it differ from you would spec for a light randonneur bike?

Thanks all, the forum has been very helpful with everything ive asked about or parts Ive asked for.

Cody Williams
Arlington, VA USA

David Kirk
03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess alot of my questions will be answered once I get it here and get it together, but i might as well throw them out there.

1. Tire clearance, I see that it has a touch longer chainstays, what kind of tire will the frame clear? I'd say you'll most likely be able to fit a 25 in there but not much more.

2. I read on the forums that it has a triple-butted top tube, what else differentiates the tubeset on this bike? I know nothing about anything being triple butted. The tube is a double butted and flared tube with an oval cross section at the front.

3. Is it suitable for a small front rack and handlebar bag? I have visions of running it as an all-arounder type bike. Id prefer to have a front load, but I have a bagman that I run a rear load on another bike. It's not made for that but it might work OK. You'll have to try it to see.

Dave, geometry wise, how do you feel about it? I guess thats a broad question, but how would it differ from you would spec for a light randonneur bike? I consider the CRL to be a race bike first and foremost. It's on the shortish and steepish side of things and is reasonable stiff.

Thanks all, the forum has been very helpful with everything ive asked about or parts Ive asked for.

Cody Williams
Arlington, VA USA

Hope that helps,

dave

cody.wms
03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
it does help,

Thanks

93LegendTG
03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
You can't do better than answers from DK. The catalogue doesn't offer much useful information with the exception of the geometry charts. FYI: in '93, the CRL came in standard, long and extra long geometries for a total of 30 stock sizes. FWIW, here is the narative from the '93 CRL pages:
THE LEGEND CRL
Not even the advent of featherweight, space-age materials has diminished the demand for Serotta steel. Forged from our Colorado Concept Light tubing, among the finest of the ultra-light steel alloys available, Legend CRL is among the very lightest steel frames in the world. And that's not all. Incorporating a refined Colorado Concept design and some of the most advanced butting processes known to man, it now offers unparalleled drive train stiffness and handling, and even greater comfort.
Features include Colorado Concept Light tubing, full braze-on fittings, new side mount internal brake cable routing and semi-vertical dropouts.
(On the opposite page is a picture of a guy with a mullet hair cut, holding a clipboard and blue prints, admiring a burgundy CRL).