PDA

View Full Version : 7 Pound Road Bike...looks like plastic and ductape!

Acotts
03-19-2008, 07:11 AM
http://www.velonews.com/article/73034/the-7pound-road-bike-

For all the weight weenies out here in Serrota Land.

From VeloNews:

A German rider with a penchant for lightweight rides has put together a 3195-gram (7.04-pound) road bike that he says is sturdy enough for him to ride up to 1000 kilometers a week.

Its a neat bike. I can appreciate the OCD that went into its creation. That said, I would take Jacks Crumpton 9 times out of 10 over that ugly bastard of a bike. I guess pretty weighs too much.

Enjoy!

BUTCH RIDES
03-19-2008, 07:13 AM
bike 7 pounds lock 20 pounds
b.

Acotts
03-19-2008, 07:14 AM
For your convenience.

David Kirk
03-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Cool bike but it needs a Brooks B17 IMO.

Dave

Dave B
03-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I can appreciate the effort as it apparantly is a unique thing, but what a waste.

I guess I do not know why someone needs a 7 pound bike. If this is simply to push the limits, ok. But make it a SS and save some weight.

I bet it rides like a dream! :rolleyes:

goonster
03-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Germans . . . :rolleyes:

Too Tall
03-19-2008, 08:56 AM
That isn't a bike.

SoCalSteve
03-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Dave

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Just sayin'

Steve

vaxn8r
03-19-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm not into it but I can't believe you guys can't at least appreciate it. I serioously doubt he built it to ride.

If nobody ever pushed the envelope what do you think we'd be rding now?

Acotts
03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not into it but I can't believe you guys can't at least appreciate it. I serioously doubt he built it to ride.

a 22 pound steel Serrotta...oh wait. :)

As I said before, I appreciate the OCD that went into building this. Its just so ugly.

michael white
03-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Dave

actually I think a B66 or something, with coil springs, would help smooth out that harsh ride.

Too Tall
03-19-2008, 09:25 AM

http://www.handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/

goonster
03-19-2008, 09:34 AM

I want a bike that is:

1. Rideable, i.e. safe without compromises
2. Enjoyable (fits, comfortable, does what a bike should do)
3. Practical
4. Durable
5. Easily Maintainable
6. Aesthetically Pleasing
7. Affordable
8. Light

. . . in that order, roughly.

I'm sick of the envelope being pushed for the eighth item on that list, at the expense of all the others.

William
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
If she doesn't care about riding a stupid light bike....

http://gwadzilla.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/stingray_l-742367.jpg

....neither do I. :beer:

17+ pounds is your friend. Atmo

William ;)

soulspinner
03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I could not imagine going down a mountain pass on that thing... :bike:

William
03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I could not imagine going down a mountain pass on that thing... :bike:

The first pot hole I bunny hopped would be my last. :bike:

William

Ozz
03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Germans . . . :rolleyes:
:cool:

BUTCH RIDES
03-19-2008, 12:25 PM
hey he said he rides it 1000 k a week that's big mileage in my book those euros like to get outside, from what i read more than us
b.

Dave B
03-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Tell me how this is going to make a bike better for me? I am not being a thorn, but seriously, how does this nitwit and his desire to see his name in bright lights make a bike better for me/

Maybe it is me, but my cod piece weighs more. I just don't see this as a goal to mimic.

Yeah I see adding some weight savings here and there to get a 25 pound road bike to 20 pounds. Sure that makes sense, but 7 pounds. I am glad i am on the "not getting it" list on this one.

AgilisMerlin
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
the question is:

what breaks first, and when :banana:

BUTCH RIDES
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
maybe he lives on the 10 floor with no lift
b.

3chordwonder
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I just don't see this as a goal to mimic.

Swimming against the tide too?

Dave B
03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Swimming against the tide too?

I guess, it just seems there is a point being made with the build. I guess I just didn't sign up for that class. :beer:

Ti Designs
03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
A German rider with a penchant for lightweight rides has put together a 3195-gram (7.04-pound) road bike that he says is sturdy enough for him to ride up to 1000 kilometers a week.

Up to 1000K/week, what does that mean? As the durability of that machine is in serious question (those wheels don't stand up to a single new england pothole), does "up to" mean 10K most weeks with the idea that he could go nuts and ride 1000K at any time? The cost of maintainance must be larger than my salary if he's doing 500K/week - not that salary would matter 'cause anyone nearing 1000K/week ain't holding a full time job. I just look at my mileage and what I wear out in a month, then I look at that bike and the claimed mileage. Something don't add up.

I did see the brooks B17 pro carbon saddle not too long ago. One of my customers had a house fire...

3chordwonder
03-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Everybody seems to think this bike will explode/implode at the first contact with a pothole, but does that parts list truly read all that terribly unproven and/or dangerous?

I thought THM (Scapula fork), Tune and Schmolke were considered genuinely well engineered (if not cheap) components. I can see only the 'modified by the owner' qualifiers ringing real alarm bells but without knowing more, it's impossible to judge.

While a bike that light is not for me personally, it might be surprisingly durable.

vaxn8r
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm calling all you guys that claim weight doesn't matter to him/her. What does your daily rider race bike weigh? 10-20 years ago that answer was about 21-23 lbs, roughly 10kgs. I seriously doubt your race bikes are anywhere near that weight. I look at the image gallery and it's full of 14-17 lb (~7kg) race bikes with $$$ low weight wheelsets and $$$ CF bars and $$$ Record or DA....because Record and DA work so much better than Chorus or Ultegra.

Ok, sure, weight means nothing to us.

William
03-20-2008, 04:12 AM
I'm calling all you guys that claim weight doesn't matter to him/her. What does your daily rider race bike weigh? 10-20 years ago that answer was about 21-23 lbs, roughly 10kgs. I seriously doubt your race bikes are anywhere near that weight. I look at the image gallery and it's full of 14-17 lb (~7kg) race bikes with $$$ low weight wheelsets and $$$ CF bars and $$$ Record or DA....because Record and DA work so much better than Chorus or Ultegra.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but for me (my size and riding style), weight is not a big consideration. I go for the chromolly spindle pedals instead of Ti. Heavier aluminum seat posts...usually mtb instead of CF etc... I don't go into a shop asking for the lowest weight anything. I always ask for the strongest parts which almost always means heavier.

William

sspielman
03-20-2008, 05:11 AM

Dave

It'll have the B17, some painted Honjos and probably more by the time it reaches NAHBS next year...

Erik.Lazdins
03-20-2008, 05:11 AM

My 60cm Ottrott weighs 19lbs - I have Nitto bars, stem, seatpost, Record, 25mm P2R tires - The Nitto stuff has a reassuring feel to me that its substantial enough to not fail - it feels flex free and looks right on the bike

My 61cm Bleriot weighs 25-26 lbs - I rode it 2 hours yesterday - with the recent 4 inches of rain fenders were the order of the day!

I know 2 guys who have had their handlebars snap mid ride - no thanks!

BUTCH RIDES
03-20-2008, 06:42 AM
pick 2 out of 3
light
strong
cheap

Too Tall
03-20-2008, 07:28 AM

My lightest bike with Zipp 404 paves is 19lbs.
Daily commuter is Ti Legend with "real" wheels is 25 lbs.

Of course weight matters. THAT however is not a bike.

zap
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
My lightest bike with Zipp 404 paves is 19lbs.
Daily commuter is Ti Legend with "real" wheels is 25 lbs.

Of course weight matters. THAT however is not a bike.

Sure it is.

It's more bike than most, more bike than most could even attempt to ride.

But really, it's an exercise in what's possible.

vaxn8r
03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Sure it is.

It's more bike than most, more bike than most could even attempt to ride.

But really, it's an exercise in what's possible.
Agreed. It's not a bike for TT to do RAAM on or for William to do Cross on. It's not a touring bike for lights and fenders and 38 c tires.

I just don't get the anger for doing something kinda "out there". I thought it was cool. To each his/her own, that's all.

Too Tall
03-20-2008, 09:18 AM
OK to put a fin(er) point on it. It's cool, it's a statement and I hate it as a bike which is how the owner represents it. A bike he rides alot right?

Let's not send the wrong impression that with a wad of cash and the will you can have a durable everyday bike that weight 7 lbs.

vaxn8r
03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
OK to put a fin(er) point on it. It's cool, it's a statement and I hate it as a bike which is how the owner represents it. A bike he rides alot right?

Let's not send the wrong impression that with a wad of cash and the will you can have a durable everyday bike that weight 7 lbs.
OK, from that angle, I get ya. I didn't take it that way but I see your view.

paczki
03-20-2008, 09:27 AM

Maybe he rides up a lot of Alps with nice European roads. He's light so it sounds like it might be fun.

goonster
03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Here's another one. (http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/gallery/m2_ghisallo.html)

This one has a carbon cassette. Someone please tell me how that makes sense.

If it's all about weight, why do these have any bar tape at all?

Fair warning: if you're listing weights of components to the tenth of a gram, I wanna see a current calibration certificate for that scale, m'kay . . .

This is a sport where you are barred from club rides and labeled as grossly negligent if you ride without a helmet, but apparently it's cool to ride a bike made from whittled-down carbon. Does not compute.

How much does his helmet weigh, anyway?

fiamme red
03-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Here's another one. (http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/gallery/m2_ghisallo.html)So despite all the progress manufacturers have made lately using carbon fiber and other super high-tech materials, the ancient Huret Jubilee is still the lightest rear derailleur. :beer:

giordana93
03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
ok, how many of you, given the opportunity, would flat out refuse to give the bike a test ride, of say 10km? it's industrial-techno-art that achieves at least minimal functionality, an exploration of what's possible, abolutely unique. what's the problem? people spend their time and money on stupider things than that. is it ugly, of course, but so are Giants. would it survive new england pot holes? maybe not, but I ride with guys whose wheels wouldn't either.
I guess it's fun for the sake of discussion

William
03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
ok, how many of you, given the opportunity, would flat out refuse to give the bike a test ride, of say 10km? it's industrial-techno-art that achieves at least minimal functionality, an exploration of what's possible, abolutely unique. what's the problem? people spend their time and money on stupider things than that. is it ugly, of course, but so are Giants. would it survive new england pot holes? maybe not, but I ride with guys whose wheels wouldn't either.
I guess it's fun for the sake of discussion

I might do it given the chance....Wearing a Red man suit of course.

http://www.bytomic.com/images/products/redman.jpg

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dsc06349.jpg

William :bike:

zap
03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know anything about the fellow, but if reports are accurate, the guy tinkers. He's taken some short cuts too such as only using 6 al cogs, dt shifters and a derailleaur that, even when it came out, doesn't shift that well. If something breaks, he fixes it or sends a product back to the manufacturer, with whom he may have a close relationship with, for more r&d. So this is more involved than just throwing lots of money at it.

It's clear that it's not a bike for most of us due to short cuts taken to get the weight down plus the fact that most lbs hacks wouldn't know what to do with it.

There is nothing to hate, it is what it is, plain and simple.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-17212505.html

paczki
03-20-2008, 10:21 AM
is it ugly, of course

I don't even think it's that ugly, just plain. I kind of like it in fact. It's certainly not as ugly as the Specialized time trial bike up on Bike Snob:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/03/grand-redesign-new-look-for-spring.html