PDA

View Full Version : Do you ride booted tires?

Dan Le foot
03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi gang.
So we've been in Tucson for about a month in our motorhome. Lotsa debree in the roads around here. No flats for either one of us but many cuts in the tires. So I decided to change to new tires before a 60 miler today.
Flated out after 30 miles! (Should have gone with the old tires) I inspected the damage and found a 1/4" long, narrow cut in the sidewall that went through. I booted with duct tape and the Park Tool boot material on top. Made it home with no trouble.
I would normally toss a tire that cut all the way through. But I hate to toss a tire with only 60 miles on it. But I don't want to be stupid cheap.
So do you ever continue to ride a booted tire?
Thanks.
Dan

Pete Serotta
03-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I do not ride the next ride with a booted tire. I am sure the folks on here (or the local shop) can provide some recommendations for a heavier (thicker) tire.

Goodluck. PETE

Blue Jays
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Not worth the hassle by my measure. Certainly not worth a nasty tire failure that could injure me or others. http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/images/smilies/2cents.gif

swoop
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
what do you think about when your going over 40... your booted tire or the sound of your rim against the pavement, or the dudes behind you you took out when the tire blew off the rim?
i'm just askin'?

Peter P.
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Ignore the warnings that come with the Park boots; they're much more durable than you think.

Big Daddy
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Prada?

znfdl
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Only until I get home from a ride.

SoCalSteve
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
what do you think about when your going over 40... your booted tire or the sound of your rim against the pavement or the dudes behind you you took out when the tire blew off the rim?
i'm just askin'?

Post of the day!

Swoop for President (this is a non-political post).

Just sayin'

Steve

Tobias
03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
So do you ever continue to ride a booted tire?I don't make a practice of it but have done it before. I've always limited it to very small cuts/punctures I could probably have ridden without a boot in the first place. The additional reinforcement was used mostly to make me feel better.

I don't use duct tape though.

stevep
03-19-2008, 04:45 AM
never.

see swoop above.

Too Tall
03-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Not worth it however I've done it EXTENSIVELY when I'm SOOOOO pissss'd over cutting a pretty new tyre and always regret this. The proper way to boot and ride is to use a very thin piece of casing and glue it into place. Use plastic and a clamp...do a good job it will work great until the glue bond breaks than you'll feel a thump as the casing come apart. It really ain't worth it.

toaster
03-19-2008, 06:50 AM
I'd use on the trainer but wouldn't ride it on the road. Save it for extended use indoors next winter or on a dedicated wheel for trainer or rollers.

WadePatton
03-19-2008, 06:56 AM
I rode my first century and 50+mph descent on a stitched sidewall... :no: :no: :no:

Would not do it again. ;)

Dan Le foot
03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks everyone.
I had to ask. An older timer/engineer in the club uses a powerbar wrapper as a boot for small cuts. He insist it is strong as the original and continues to ride it.
In the trash it goes.
Dan

BUTCH RIDES
03-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks everyone.
I had to ask. An older timer/engineer in the club uses a powerbar wrapper as a boot for small cuts. He insist it is strong as the original and continues to ride it.
In the trash it goes.
Dan
good move with a very nice bike no need to be cheap when it comes to tires .
b.

Tobias
03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
The proper way to boot and ride is to use a very thin piece of casing and glue it into place. Use plastic and a clamp...do a good job it will work great until the glue bond breaks than you'll feel a thump as the casing come apart. It really ain't worth it.I haven't glued it thinking that two thin layers flex better than one thicker one – the opposite of what you have experienced. I’ll have to give glue a try someday.

I’ve avoided the thumping you describe by shaping the boot and by feathering the edges. For me once air pressure fills the tire it rides as round as any provided the cut is very small and the combined strength of the casing and boot is equal to the original in supporting the tube.

Tobias
03-19-2008, 08:58 AM
good move with a very nice bike no need to be cheap when it comes to tires .
b.For me it’s not about being cheap or even frugal, it’s about not being wasteful. At some level I get satisfaction knowing I get the most of what I have.

Obviously I know dental work is a lot more expensive than new tires so if safety was an issue I would never do it. Over the years I’ve had many tire failures and not one at a boot – albeit I’ve ridden far fewer miles on booted tires.

Besides, if the cost of safety was the only parameter used then we'd all be driving around in 3-ton SUVs, right? ;)

Too Tall
03-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I haven't glued it thinking that two thin layers flex better than one thicker one – the opposite of what you have experienced. I’ll have to give glue a try someday.

I’ve avoided the thumping you describe by shaping the boot and by feathering the edges. For me once air pressure fills the tire it rides as round as any provided the cut is very small and the combined strength of the casing and boot is equal to the original in supporting the tube.

Reason for the glue is to prevent and slow casing threads from loosening up. The flexing accelerates this I'm guessing...I've done it both ways. Glue + a nicely shaped boot is *almost acceptable....hehe when I'm really mad ;)

zap
03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I've done it if the cut is 1/4" long on the side wall. I use a piece from those large usps envelopes. Thin and strong.

I've gone close to 50mph on a booted tire and it was fine. My ti frame cracked before I got to much use out of my last booted tire.

toaster
03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
If I do have to ride a booted tire I do this:

Cut a piece of Cordura nylon to cover area to repair and using 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive as a contact cement, apply adhesive to inside surface of tire and to Cordura fabric and let dry an hour or so and then re-apply thin coating of adhesive to tire and apply patch.

This is only a fix on a small cut not meant for major trauma.

MilanoTom
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone.
In the trash it goes.
Dan

Nah... give to the old timer. Just make sure you don't ride behind him.

jemoryl
03-19-2008, 10:19 AM
I've done it if the cut is 1/4" long on the side wall. I use a piece from those large usps envelopes. Thin and strong.

I've gone close to 50mph on a booted tire and it was fine. My ti frame cracked before I got to much use out of my last booted tire.

+1
A piece of Tyvek envelope makes a nice boot. If the cut isn't too bad I might ride the tire for awhile, keeping an eye out for bulging or other problems at the defect.

zap
03-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Anyone blow out a boot or see anyone have a boot failure?

I've seen more inner tube patches fail than anything else. Next on the list are cuts due to poorly installed inner tubes and last but not least, side wall failure due to old, tired tires.

I don't think I've ever seen a boot fail.

Tobias
03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Anyone blow out a boot or see anyone have a boot failure?Never.

The guys I ride with that use them make them from the casing of worn tires. Continentals GP were my favorite because the tread came off easily.

BUTCH RIDES
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
ride tubulars and know how to sew
b.