PDA

View Full Version : Chico, CA -- a place to live?

eddief
03-18-2008, 06:00 PM
title says it all. what's good, what's not so?

i know a person could melt in the summer, but what else?

maunahaole
03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Small College town - great riding nearby, both road and mountain - wildflower century annually, SIerra Nevada Brewery in town. College town - with a traditional emphasis on partying before academics.

Butte COunty is the methamphetamine capital of the world. Lots of white trash and/or redneck types. Good chance to be sort of damp and foggy for a good part of the winter.

rsl
03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
My Father in law grew up in Chico and now lives in Sacramento. He stays as far away from Chico as possible from what I know.

I spent a half day there over the holidays. I have to say that after 6 months in South Bend, Indiana Chico looked pretty darn cool, but that's not saying much.

erector
03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Chico is fine, if you've married your sister and have 5 non-running cars on the lawn, protected by a shot-gun security system you installed yourself.

There is good riding there, primarily because of the complete aridness of the land. No one REALLY wants to spend money to build there, and so the mountains are still relatively untouched; brown all year round, but untouched. The road riding is nice, but the caveat is still that at any given time, at least 30% of the people driving will be drunk.

Chico happens to be a convenient last resort for those that simply can't afford to live on the west side of the hills. Location, location, location, should say it all. Maybe in the future it will get better, and buying a house there might be okay. But plan on a whole lotta nothing great, high AC bills in the summer, and beige track-homes.

ONE GOOD THING. college town with nothing to do = sororo-titty girls that are looking for some excitement?

david
03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
ONE GOOD THING. college town with nothing to do = sororo-titty girls that are looking for some excitement?

oh my.

Steve-O
03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Chico's a good little cycling town.

- Paul Components
- Chico Velo puts on some of the best organized rides on the west coast
- AirArt in Chico does frame painting

Sure if you get out in the hills there's a nor-Cal redneck vibe to the surrounding area but its not the feel of the town itself. You're also close to the Sierra Nevadas which is a nice bonus...

Tom Byrnes
03-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I went to college in Chico many moons ago. I returned last summer for a short visit and saw that the town had not changed that much in 35 years!!

A lot of people I went to college with stayed in the area, raised families and still love living there. Lots of cycling and other outdoor activities. Beautiful small state university and a great municipal park (Bidwell Park).

Biggest Drawbacks for me: Very hot in the summer (but dry). Long grey winter months.

I have lived in California for my entire life and have lived in several places. Chico is much closer to the top of my list than it is to the bottom.

My $.02

Tom