PDA

View Full Version : Shimano buy Q-rings

LO^OK
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Over at WW I came across an interesting news:

From the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, a Japanese market and business newspaper, translated from the Japanese:

Shimano, the Osaka bicycle giant, has purchased a patent from Spain-based Rotor LLC to develop bicycle chain rings. Rotor LLC's "Q-Rings", an oval version of the traditional round bicycle chain ring will be immediately assimilated into the forthcoming Shimano bicycle component lineup, to be released in the third quarter of 2009.

Tatsuya Yama, the Japanese market Shimano liaison briefly discussed the impact of the patent purchase:

"We believe the Rotor design is the most efficient chain ring design today. Consequently, it must be the Shimano design as well."

Yama confirmed that Shimano has already developed a version of the Rotor Q-ring that is currently undergoing testing. The Shimano developed chain ring will feature "distinctive Shimano design branding", as well as have "a few minor bugs (Rotor's) design overlooked worked out", Yama said.

The new chain rings will be an important element of Shimano's new 7900 version Dura Ace premium bicycle component line up, as well as the heavily anticipated "Electronic" Dura Ace, a sort of automatic transmission for bicycles.

"You must appreciate the impact this new element will have on the high-end cycling industry" says Yama. "It's unprecedented."

maunahaole
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure which is stranger, the fact that they bought biopace again, or the fact that they are going to try to sell biopace again.

Grant McLean
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Is it April 1st already? :)

-g

Too Tall
03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Please post jokes in the new thread. Funny

Over at WW I came across an interesting news:

From the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, a Japanese market and business newspaper, translated from the Japanese:

Shimano, the Osaka bicycle giant, has purchased a patent from Spain-based Rotor LLC to develop bicycle chain rings. Rotor LLC's "Q-Rings", an oval version of the traditional round bicycle chain ring will be immediately assimilated into the forthcoming Shimano bicycle component lineup, to be released in the third quarter of 2009.

Tatsuya Yama, the Japanese market Shimano liaison briefly discussed the impact of the patent purchase:

"We believe the Rotor design is the most efficient chain ring design today. Consequently, it must be the Shimano design as well."

Yama confirmed that Shimano has already developed a version of the Rotor Q-ring that is currently undergoing testing. The Shimano developed chain ring will feature "distinctive Shimano design branding", as well as have "a few minor bugs (Rotor's) design overlooked worked out", Yama said.

The new chain rings will be an important element of Shimano's new 7900 version Dura Ace premium bicycle component line up, as well as the heavily anticipated "Electronic" Dura Ace, a sort of automatic transmission for bicycles.

"You must appreciate the impact this new element will have on the high-end cycling industry" says Yama. "It's unprecedented."

RudAwkning
03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure which is stranger, the fact that they bought biopace again, or the fact that they are going to try to sell biopace again.

lol. post of the day.

Fivethumbs
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Fool me once shame on you...Fool me...Fool me...well, you can't get fooled again!

LO^OK
03-19-2008, 05:09 AM

From what I read Q-rings and Biopace are exact opposites. While Q-Rings have the minimum equivalent tooth size at the dead-spot Biopace has it's maximum there. In the light of this Shimano step is absolutely consistent, a 180 degree turn.

Bob Ross
03-19-2008, 06:56 AM
From what I read Q-rings and Biopace are exact opposites. While Q-Rings have the minimum equivalent tooth size at the dead-spot Biopace has it's maximum there.

That too is my understanding. While I suppose it's easy enough to see why neophytes might assume all non-round chainrings are the same, I'm still surprised at how many diehard cycling aficianados think Biopace & Q-rings are the same thing.

I once rode next to a guy who had Q-rings and after watching his feet for a few moments I thought I was going to throw up. But he insisted there were tangible performance benefits.

sg8357
03-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Is it April 1st already? :)

-g

Shimano introduces Biopace Brown, in tribute to Biopaces biggest
fan, Sheldon Brown.

Viva Sheldon!!!

lemonlaug
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
This is great! Now that they're under the same roof I can't wait for Shimano to combine the unique aspects of both Qrings and biopace! Here's a mock-up of what might result from such a revolutionary combination:

BURCH
03-19-2008, 09:46 AM
This is great! Now that they're under the same roof I can't wait for Shimano to combine the unique aspects of both Qrings and biopace! Here's a mock-up of what might result from such a revolutionary combination:

he he he he he

bostondrunk
03-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey, nobody jump the gun until Swoop has gone on a training ride with a pro team to get the real story!

staggerwing
03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Nah, like this.

03-19-2008, 02:17 PM

I don't get it. Doesn't that look just like a traditional chainring?

Oh. Yeah. Now I get it. Oh. Great post.

And I thought you would just hybridize two chainring designs with the teeth overlapping so you'd have a chainring with no teeth. Now that's really brilliant.

Shimano is switching to belt drive next year anyway.

palincss
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
From what I read Q-rings and Biopace are exact opposites. While Q-Rings have the minimum equivalent tooth size at the dead-spot Biopace has it's maximum there. In the light of this Shimano step is absolutely consistent, a 180 degree turn.

Wouldn't that be a 90 degree turn?

:confused:

Waldo
03-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Laugh if you must. In an example of voting with one's wallet, I have 3 bikes with Q-rings. Ask Bobby Julich and Marianne Vos what they think of their oval rings. Try them before you write them off as a goofy idea.

dvs cycles
03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Nah, like this.That would look good with Cervelo's SQUOVAL tubing. :rolleyes:

stevep
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Laugh if you must. In an example of voting with one's wallet, I have 3 bikes with Q-rings. Ask Bobby Julich and Marianne Vos what they think of their oval rings. Try them before you write them off as a goofy idea.

i agree w/ you v,
i dont use them and probably wont go there. but i have no doubt that they work the nuts for some riders.

i think the whole thread is a joke, no?
with no effectiveness argument from me i thk somebody put this together as a joke.

1centaur
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Confirmed on weightweenies as a joke, I believe.

RudAwkning
03-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Confirmed on weightweenies as a joke, I believe.

Indeed. The original poster returned with this 2nd post. Pretty funny actually, troll or no.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40812&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

=========================================

SHIMANO PUBLICIST FALSIFIES COMPANY RECORD TO PRESS, SHAREHOLDERS - SITES DESIRE FOR TAPAS

Osaka-

Tatsuya Yama, the Shimano Japanese press liaison has today confirmed rumors that he knowingly falsified information to the press and Shimano shareholders concerning a patent supposedly purchased from Spain-based Rotor LLC.

Yama was pale and reserved while answering questions at a press conference this morning, until asked why he had perpetrated the lie.

"Well if enough people believed it, and got excited about (the patent purchase), we'd have to do it, right?" Yama asked. "And if that happened, well... I mean, some of us have to go over there and work with the Spanish engineers, right? I mean, sure, other Shimano engineers, probably... but they'd need a press liaison over there, wouldn't they? I mean, of course they would!"

"It's not like I didn't enjoy working in Osaka," Yama continued. "It's a beautiful city- clean air, good public transportation... but if I have to eat one more ****ing plate of sushi, or bowl of noodles, or one of those impossible-to-open bento boxes, I'm just going to ****ing snap."

Yama, beginning to sweat at this point, paused to wipe his brow.

"Do you know how they eat in Spain? Do you even know what tapas are? I mean, do you even know? How delicious it is? Dates stuffed with melted cheese. And no, I'm not done describing that dish- dates stuffed with melted cheese, wrapped in bacon. I mean, holy ****!"

"These tiny, savory, pork sausages in this rich sauce" Yama blurted. "So rich and scrumptious you can't imagine actually eating them all, but that's the beauty of tapas, you're surrounded by plates of different yet complimentary tastes... everyone sharing- you don't just order for yourself, but for the table! I mean, think about that dining philosophy... why aren't we in business with these people? Their chain rings have to be good, right? I mean, look at their chicken! It's ****ing amazing! It's paper thin and smoked with pork and currants- they serve it on these thin crackers with this sweet mustard... that kind of attention to detail... speaks of a people with a technical mind."

"Let's just do it," Yama implored, although his plea fell only on the ears of the gathered press, since no Shimano officials were in attendance.

"Seriously, I've heard good things about Rotor. Apparently they actually work, which is more then we can say about BioPace, right? Okay, I didn't mean for that to come out like that... BioPace was great, just different. But Rotor is great too, and we should probably jump on that technology, right? I mean, I should probably go to Spain right now and open talks with them, don't you think? The best place to negotiate with them would probably be at a restaurant, I'm thinking... with some of that smoky sweet red table wine, maybe a glass of Sangria? Or pitcher? I should probably order some of those little rolls with crab meat to get talks rolling... or some empanadas..."