PDA

View Full Version : Cross tyres on Ksyrium wheels?

Russ
09-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I am planning on working on a commuter bike project this winter and I have a set of Ksyriums wheels that I would like to use.

Do you know what's the biggest size tyres I can use on the 2002/2003 model Ksyrum SSL wheels?

The Mavic site says that one can use tyres as big as 28mm, but I don't know what size cross tyres are. Do you have recommendations for a good commuter/cross tyre?

hypnos
09-05-2004, 02:24 PM
They come in size 700x28. Not a cross tire, but would you really be going off road? They are very flat resistant!! ;)

FierteTi52
09-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Russ,
I have Open Pros on my cross bike. I use Panaracer Pasala 700x 38 no problem. Nashbar sells them for $12.95. You may also want to consider Vittoria Radoneer or Rivendell Rolly Polly's. No need for knobby cross tires unless you plan to ride serious off road. I use the Paslas on gravel rail beds and dirt roads etc. I you want tires with a bit of tread and good rolling resistance, try the Michelin Jet.
Good Luck and I hope you are safe in Fla.
Jeff

Russ
09-05-2004, 07:01 PM
True, I don't plan to go off road. This will be strickly a street communter bike... So I will check the options you mention.

M_A_Martin
09-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Watch the actual size tire you can fit into the bike and the brakes!

The Michilen Muds and Jets list as a 30, but it really measures out to be a 34. Too wide for my frame! Right now I'm running Ritchey Speed Max Cross on both front and rear for my off road setup.

Other than that, my Continental Gator Skins (23s) lasted four years without flats and I rode them on gravel roads, a few trails, and Michigan pavement. One word of caution though, your comfy frame might wind up with a bit of a harsh ride on the Gators.

Good luck with that commuter project!

You know Russ, considering your luck with flats, perhaps you should put the gator skins on your OttRott? :D

Buddha
09-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Just about any 700C cross tire will fit fine.

Russ
09-06-2004, 12:26 AM
...You know Russ, considering your luck with flats, perhaps you should put the gator skins on your OttRott?....

Ginger,

You know we had flat-fever in NY, don't you? You said that you had your "first flat in four years..." I rarely get flats down here... one a year, perhaps.

So, no heavy fat tires on my O.... Noooo way! ;)