PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear socks?

Dekonick
09-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I was wondering...I just got my new D2 shoes... and they were (are) tight in the toe box. Went for a 30 mile ride to break em in (D2 told me not to fret until after 100 miles- they 'break in')

Results:

My feet were not sore! Happy Happy Happy feet! - BUT- my toes were crammed, and went numb after about 1 1/2 hour of riding. I ended up removing my socks and finished the ride. Today, as I am writing this, I am wearing them w/o socks and am headed out for anohter 30-40 mile spin to see how they work (cleat placement is still an issue - SMILEY!!! Pleeaasse tell me tomorrow is fine for da fitting... <grin> )

I cant remember if you are supposed to wear these shoes w/o socks (somehow I think you are supposed to have nekked feet...but its a holiday weekend and I know I wont be able to reach D2 until tuesday to ask)

I am in love with the shoes! The only thing I would change is the toe box, which may stretch (Ill post after the ride on results)- if not D2 told me its an easy fix, just mail em back for a minor adjustment.

Well - off I go... I just wish I felt deserving of my bike and shoes... one day perhaps... one day.

:) :o :D

Dekonick
09-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Post ride report:

Yeah, the shoes are extremely comfy. Not nearly as tight as before - still a little numbness - only in the tip of da toes. My guess is they will only get better and better.

Tomorrow I will try the custom orthotics in my old sidi genius 4's to see how much of a difference it makes. :banana:

93legendti
09-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Why anyone would ride w/out socks is a mystery.

Dekonick
09-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah - I have always wondered - but you do see 'sockless' riders out and about. I have always worn socks myself - until today. Somehow I just think your shoes could become quite nasty without some socks. :rolleyes:

caffeine power
09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Socks suck. My feet breathe better and my wife doesn't chew me out when I ride in the rain and have nasty socks afterwards. If I didn't have to wear socks in the lab I'd go sockless until there's snow on the ground...

As for the types of nasty shoes I have... Time(2pr), Vittoria (2pr) and for the MTB Answers.

M_A_Martin
09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Socks on the bike...unless I forget them. But really really low socks are my preference. I'm not sure what's up with the knee high cycling socks out there, those would drive me to distraction.

How can you have a "throw the socks out" mtb ride if you don't wear socks?
Socks in the hiking boots. Summertime seldom socks. (Unless I'm visiting people with pets, for some unknown reason cats and dogs have a fascination with my bare toes.)
Winter time Wool socks.

Its easier to get a good slide on hardwood floors with socks than without.

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Keep us posted on the D2s, I'm still contemplating the custom shoe thing.

slowgoing
09-05-2004, 10:03 PM
If any of you have pressure spots, I learned a little trick a while ago from some inline skating buddies. Buy a pair of thin double layer socks where the layers aren't attached to one another. Then the friction will occur between the different layers instead of between the sock and your skin. They work great. Wish I could remember who makes them.

Dekonick
09-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I can tell you this: I will NEVER (well at least not by choice) ride without custom shoes again. The difference is HUGE - and the pair I have arent even finished yet...(D2 tells me that it may take one trip via fed ex to adjust them to get that perfect fit. They also tell me that they would have been absolutely perfect if I were to have had them do my 'fitting' at their shop in Eagle. I believe them. - regardless - even with the minor complaint, which will be rectified, I LOVE them. Talk about LIGHT shoes! :D

It was a great experience working with them. An interesting fact : the majority of their customers are a)pro's or b) people like me with funky feet. (flat feet in my case)

THANKS D2~~~!!!@@@

shinomaster
09-06-2004, 02:20 AM
my favorite socks are the new LIN shorty socks. Very light and comfy and low cut. I'm not talking about the silly ones with all the graphics.

NateM
09-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you need to have the toebox stretched a bit. Most shoe repair shops or good retailers have a stretcher that will do the trick.Bring your preferred socks with you and stretch them until you get the proper fit.Thats all that D2 will do, except you wont be there to say stop thats enough. What pedals are you using? Please keep posting reviews as you get dialed in.

Dekonick
09-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Smiley fixed me up today. He has me doing all of the :gasp: unthinkable!! I have to change my stem to a 100 with 10 degree rise, presently its 120 EA70- anyone have any 100mm stems with 10 deg rise for sale???

Also has me changing my bars from the EA70's to Salsa Poco's - gotta say I like the feel they gave me.

Minor tweak on the seatpost - he tells me I can go up .5cm... gonna try .3 first.

and - now - my cleats are perfect! - get this: the D2 shoes are set so when you put the cleats on, if you put them as far back as they can go they are exactly where they should be. I will never need to worry about re-aligning them again. My Sidi's are a different story. Nice shoe, but harder to get the cleat exactly right. Ill have to make a template each time I change cleats.

I love the D2 shoes! :hello:

Thanks Smiley!

My bike fit was pretty close, Smiley just tweaked it a bit for comfort (hence the change in bar and stem) I was riding all stretched out (I am flexible) but his suggestions made alot of sense to me. I dont race - so why position myself in TT (exageration) position? Now Ill be able to do more than 3 hours w/o tight shoulders. Cant wait to try it all out. Ill post more about the shoes and the rest as the weeks progress. :banana:

Dirtdog
09-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have the webiste for D2? Is D2 the manufacturer?
I have funky feet with funky toes so maybe D2 could make me a less than
funky shoe.

Tks

Dekonick
09-06-2004, 06:20 PM
http://www.d2customfootwear.com

It is worth every penny. Also - IF your MD writes a scrip for you to have suctom shoes/orthotics - you can write them off on your taxes, or you can use 'flex' pre-tax $ to pay for them. I just used up the last of my flex $$ for this past year on these shoes. (I had lasik eye surgery and it cost @ $1k less than I thought it would so I had to burn @ $1k on 'medical expenses' - these shoes and the orthotics counted. I just had to prove my feet were 'funky' to the medical review board - and it was ok'd.) Now I have 2 sets of D2 shoes! :D :) :p

eddief
09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
I wear Sidi Dominators with custom orthotics. I mostly wear some low cut, slightly cushioned Smartwool socks with these shoes. It just finally got warm in N. CA and my feet were expanding and my shoes felt tight. I had a pair of thin Smartwool RBX Ultralights sitting in the drawer and gave them a try yesterday. Newly found foot nirvana. Comfy, soft, nonstinky and thinner than the model I've been using. Quite nice with my shoe, orthotic combo.

Kevan
09-06-2004, 06:41 PM
you need to ask where on your body.... :D

I'm thinking argyles for next season. Lance ain't got nothin' over me.

93legendti
09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Smiley fixed me up today. He has me doing all of the :gasp: unthinkable!! I have to change my stem to a 100 with 10 degree rise, presently its 120 EA70- anyone have any 100mm stems with 10 deg rise for sale???...

Yes, I have a ITM/Serotta 10cm stem. It came on my Ottrott, I swapped it for a 90cm. Please email me for pics and price. Adam

Dekonick
09-06-2004, 07:46 PM
You are DA MAN! :D

Dirtdog
09-06-2004, 10:52 PM
http://www.d2customfootwear.com

It is worth every penny. Also - IF your MD writes a scrip for you to have suctom shoes/orthotics - you can write them off on your taxes, or you can use 'flex' pre-tax $ to pay for them. I just used up the last of my flex $$ for this past year on these shoes. (I had lasik eye surgery and it cost @ $1k less than I thought it would so I had to burn @ $1k on 'medical expenses' - these shoes and the orthotics counted. I just had to prove my feet were 'funky' to the medical review board - and it was ok'd.) Now I have 2 sets of D2 shoes! :D :) :p

Thank you sir. They look comfortable but somewhat different. :cool:

Dekonick
09-07-2004, 08:28 AM
I will take a pic of mine and post it (again - I am JPEG challenged... but Ill try)

They dont have to look different. Mine are pretty plain - similar in look to many other brands out there.

Great feel in the footbed! :p

spiderman
09-07-2004, 09:11 AM
...i wear socks unless it's raining...
...choosing to wear my low cut spiderman socks, of course.
i'm thinking everyone should wear their favorite
superhero socks...
...if there were jerk socks out there somewhere
the entire forum would be wearing them
not only on their bikes
but showing them off at work as well...

Dekonick
09-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Havent I seen Jerk socks before? Somehow the Red Hot Chilli Peppers come to mind.... :banana:

Oh...that cant be. They are too 'short' :rolleyes: