PDA

View Full Version : OT: Beer drninkers, read this

fiamme red
03-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Wine is worse for the brain than beer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=535988&in_page_id=1774&ICO=HEALTH&ICL=TOPART

The study compared brain scans from diagnosed alcoholics with those from healthy adults. In non-alcoholics the hippocampus was 3.85ml. In beer drinkers it was 3.4ml, in spirit drinkers 2.9ml and for wine drinkers it was the smallest, just 2.8ml.

On the other hand, beer isn't good for the brain either; in particular, beer and science don't mix:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/science/18beer.html?ref=science

According to the study, published in February in Oikos, a highly respected scientific journal, the more beer a scientist drinks, the less likely the scientist is to publish a paper or to have a paper cited by another researcher, a measure of a paper’s quality and importance.

goonster
03-18-2008, 09:29 AM
[COLOR=Navy]The study compared brain scans from diagnosed alcoholics with those from healthy adults. In non-alcoholics the hippocampus was 3.85ml. In beer drinkers it was 3.4ml, in spirit drinkers 2.9ml and for wine drinkers it was the smallest, just 2.8ml.[/QUOTE]

Cause and effect reversed, atmo.

Only the dumbest, most fiscally irresponsible alcoholics drink wine. :beer:

Alcoholism is bad, m'kay . . .

(Actually, after watching last night's episode of Intervention, even I find it hard to joke about this.)

OtayBW
03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Wine is worse for the brain than beer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=535988&in_page_id=1774&ICO=HEALTH&ICL=TOPART

The study compared brain scans from diagnosed alcoholics with those from healthy adults. In non-alcoholics the hippocampus was 3.85ml. In beer drinkers it was 3.4ml, in spirit drinkers 2.9ml and for wine drinkers it was the smallest, just 2.8ml.
It ain't the meat, it's the motion....

HSG Racer
03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Something doesn’t make sense with the first article. Do they mean "non-alcoholics" or non-drinkers who have a hippocampus of 3.85ml? The large majority of people who drink alcoholic beverages are non-alcoholics! So when they say “beer drinkers” are they really saying beer drinkers who are alcoholics or are they including non-alcoholics as well?

The way that I’m interpreting the first article is that the beer drinkers, spirit drinkers and wine drinkers were chosen from a pool of alcoholics and not from a pool of social and moderate drinkers. Another thing to keep in mind is that this article is printed on a British rag. Britain has a much more severe definition of an alcoholic than the US does. A self proclaimed alcoholic in the US would most likely be considered a lightweight drinker in Britain.

WadePatton
03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
good grief I'm thirsty now. :beer:

shinomaster
03-18-2008, 01:26 PM

72gmc
03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
good grief I'm thirsty now. :beer:

I'll drink to your hippocampus. I accept that beer drinking scientists publish fewer peer-reviewed papers, but do their peers enjoy them more? Maybe they write lots of internal papers about beer bong research.

maunahaole
03-18-2008, 01:54 PM
You mean like how many piraat ales can be beerbonged?