PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chicago with kids

malcolm
03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Will be in Chicago this week and have been there many times but never with the kids (5&7). What is there to do other than the field museum and the aquarium?

swoop
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
can they hold their liquor? now might be a good time to show them what i like to call 'the shadow world'.

Ken Robb
03-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Museum of Science and Industry is fabulous. I spent lots of time there when I was a kid--it used to be FREE! Lots of hands-on exibits with buttons to push, etc. Huge model train set-up. Go through WWll German u-boat, ride elevator into "working" coal mine.

Brookfield Zoo is better than Lincoln Park Zoo ATMO.

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Museum of Science and Industry is fabulous. I spent lots of time there when I was a kid--it used to be FREE! Lots of hands-on exibits with buttons to push, etc. Huge model train set-up. Go through WWll German u-boat, ride elevator into "working" coal mine.

Brookfield Zoo is better than Lincoln Park Zoo ATMO.

The MoSI is SPECTACULAR! Went there all the time when I was a kid. That was almosr 40 years ago and I can't imagine but it's improved since. I see from a web report they recently re-did the model train exhibit. There's so much--you could literally wander around in there for days.

BBD

Blue Jays
03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
There must be some attractions on the Chicago Navy Pier of interest? Haven' been there in a dog's age.

malcolm
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Swoop, the little ones whine to much when drinking.

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2008, 04:58 PM
There must be some attractions on the Chicago Navy Pier of interest? Haven' been there in a dog's age.

. . . but now I hear it's been totally renovated and is great. But I wasn't able to get up there last time I was passing through town. I'm sure if you do some Google searching you can find a link . . . Oh, why here's a few now! . . .

http://www.chicagotraveler.com/guide-to-chicago-navy-pier.htm

http://www.chicago.world-guides.com/chicago_landmarks.html

Let's take a look at them and--Holy Cr@p! Gotta go see THAT!

BBD

mflaherty37
03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
There's nothing to do around here. Come to my house for cookies and milk.

http://www.chicagokids.com/

Delpo
03-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Children Museum at Navy Pier is fun.
Lincoln Park Zoo is fun and free.
Millenium Park is cool for the kids and nice in this weather.
There is a nice Executive Golf Course (All short par 3's) that is also fun given that it is in the heart of the city. The views are spectacular.

Delpo

rphetteplace
03-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Isn't there a legoworld in downtown Chicago? iirc

weatherman
03-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Children Museum at Navy Pier is fun.
Lincoln Park Zoo is fun and free.
Millenium Park is cool for the kids and nice in this weather.
There is a nice Executive Golf Course (All short par 3's) that is also fun given that it is in the heart of the city. The views are spectacular.

Delpo

+1 on all comments--just back from there with my daughters (9 year old twins)--MOSI is really cool, don't miss the U-boat. If you have daughters--hit the American Girl Store just off Michigan Ave. Shedd Aquarium is certainly a treat, try the Adler Planetarium right near there as well.

Take a double decker bus tour--pick them up at many points on/around Michigan Ave. Navy Pier is good, try Capi's Italian Kitchen for decent, reasonably priced Italian food in a kid-friendly environment.

Not sure when the boat tours start (probably soon), but give that a spin as well. Lots to do in the Windy City!

tv_vt
03-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Don't remember if you said how old your kids are, but the Art Institute is also world class, if you're into that sort of thing. Just walking around on Michigan Avenue is fun. Hope the weather is nice. Downtown Chicago is very visitor friendly.

TV

weatherman
03-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Don't remember if you said how old your kids are, but the Art Institute is also world class, if you're into that sort of thing. Just walking around on Michigan Avenue is fun. Hope the weather is nice. Downtown Chicago is very visitor friendly.

TV

Hit Garrett's for some popcorn and get "the mix"---cheddar cheese and carmel! Sounds gross, its actually quite good and their signature product. They are on Michigan Avenue down near Cartier. :beer:

rphetteplace
03-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Sears tower also