PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe how much I like being fixed

ericspin
03-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Every time I ride my new (converted) fixie :cool: I am surprised how I feel during and at the end of the ride. I have a bad habit, on my coastie, of going too hard at times and burning myself out. I have found on the fixed that I tend to _pace_ better and have more gas at the end of the ride. :banana: I have a 50 mile loop that I do regularly. The beginning of the loop is pretty hilly (for Florida) and I tend to push it too hard on the coastie and I always pay for it during the flatter section on the way home. I have done that loop so many times that I can almost anticipate how I am going to feel before it happens (before you jump on me for buying into some head trip notice that I said almost). Too many times I hit the hill close to home and have nothing left. I am noticing with the fixed that I cannot attack the hills at the start of the loop as hard as I did on the coastie and so I have more left for the end of the ride.

Maybe it is the newness (word?) of this deal but I feel so comfortable on the fixed and am really enjoying the lack of mind f##cking that I do about what gear I am supposed to be in and what my cadence should be. I find that I just think about _stuff_ and do that singing thing I do in my head (do you guys do this, sing the same song over and over?)and don't worry about what I think is supposed to be going on.

Do any of you have the same experience? Maybe this is just making me a better rider. :D

Eric

erector
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I have my i-pod going during rides, and I plan out music for the rides that I usually do. I taught a spin-class in Irvine, and so I had to make those "pump-you-up" kinda mixes which I now use on regular rides. But by the end of the ride, when my voice is all warm, and i'm spending a mile or two headed home, I usually sing out-loud to whatever cool-down song I have for the day. People make fun of me, but like Dave Stoller, I can serenade the ladies of my apartment complex.

I agree that fixies create less "gear worry"

erector
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
and my name is Erick

fixednwinter
03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
ericspin;

Welcome to fixed riding. I've never tried track, but for road fixed, yeah, it tends to be a more measured effort. It's great for long, steady base miles this time of year.

Other than when I'm doing fast pedaling intervals, I tend not to bring out the fixed for hard efforts involving intervals and recovery. I do know of hardcore riders who do it anyway, doing insanely hard group rides with others on derailleur bikes. But I don't have their strength or will!

...errr, despite my classical music background, however, I don't have any songs either in my head or escaping audibly :)

BUTCH RIDES
03-17-2008, 02:58 PM
hey let" s do that 50 miler sometime anytime you say I 'm ready
b.

bumperjohn
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
I understand what you are talking about, it is almost a "zen like" zone. I love riding my fixie.

John

fogrider
03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
yeah, out in florida, those hilly parts are killler! I'm in san francisco and any ride involves at least 500 feet of climbing. I am curious as to your gearing. I run a 42x16 and its a good workout climbing, but I spin too much on the flats. but I do get my spin into shape.

AgilisMerlin
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
42x13

my knees will be blown by May :D

bumperjohn
03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I run 48x18 and my climbs home from work are a bitch. The last hill I bet you could walk up faster than I can peddal, but I am getting better.

John

AgilisMerlin
03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I run 48x18 and my climbs home from work are a bitch. The last hill I bet you could walk up faster than I can peddal, but I am getting better.

John

kind of slows time down, don't it :banana:

fixednwinter
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm in san francisco and any ride involves at least 500 feet of climbing. I am curious as to your gearing. I run a 42x16 and its a good workout climbing, but I spin too much on the flats. but I do get my spin into shape.

42x16 on those hills in SF - that's something I always wondered, what gearing fixed aficiandos used in that city. going down those steep hills on a fixed must be a challenge too.

We don't have much in the way of hills in Toronto, and I use my fixed to increase my spin, so I use an intentionally low, low gear - 44x20 (I think it's 55 gear inches).

Dekonick
03-17-2008, 05:39 PM
and makes your knees ache.

Jack Brunk
03-17-2008, 06:07 PM
42 x 17 for average training ride(25-40 and 2000-3000 ft of climbing). The legs get pretty thrashed after this ride.

Fixed
03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
bro 50x18 no climbing at all ..ugh does a bridge count?
cheers

ericspin
03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
yeah, out in florida, those hilly parts are killler! I'm in san francisco and any ride involves at least 500 feet of climbing. I am curious as to your gearing. I run a 42x16 and its a good workout climbing, but I spin too much on the flats. but I do get my spin into shape.

Currently running 47 x 18. Seems perfect. My legs are _full_ of blood today. Feel all swollen. Love it!

Damn Fixed, not ready for a 50t yet.

ericspin
03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
hey let" s do that 50 miler sometime anytime you say I 'm ready
b.

TT to Thonotosassa to Flatwoods and back through TT to my driveway.

DRZRM
03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I need a 48x20 to get over my rolling commute in Boston, I hardly even reach for my coastie much. I really like the feel of my fixed.

ericspin
03-17-2008, 07:09 PM
How about this variable? Crank length?

Coastie = 175

Fixie = 165 Sugino messenger crank

What do you think that has to do with it?

I've read the study about turning a higher speed with the 165's. I like the _feel_ of the 165's better.

6'2"

bigman
03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
49/17 and 48/16 can get up some pretty big hills with these combo's- longest fixed ride was a nice turned nasty 55 mile winter ride. Did this last winter on the north fork of Long Island, some hills and tons of wind. Used a 48/16 with 175 cranks, rode with much stronger riders than I am and had a blast! It not about going up hills (unless very steep) but about going down them and not spinning out. I always use 2 brakes and rarely if ever my knees to back off of speed.
Almost always ride fixed when I commute or when I go out alone or have only an hour or so to ride in order to maximize my workout.

This winter rode more fixed than geared. Would ride more and more fixed but when riding with my buddies I ride geared as they do. I have only convinced one friend to buy a fixed rig but can't coax him out on it.

Anybody else feel constrained by geared riders when going out in a group?

Fixed is where it is at!

Boundgear
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
I stopped riding coasties 8 years ago, and just now am looking to get back into it for some longer distance runs. Non-shifters are bikes, and fun bikes. Smiling is a common side effect.

legacysti888
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
49/18 and 46/17 here in humid, sunny, rainy, voggy (volcano ash) Honolulu. Will post a pic of my new Serotta SS Niobium soon. ;)

BUTCH RIDES
03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
hey man , I just started riding geared again it seems to easy but i have a new super bike .. but bro you can go fast on a geared bike and ride longer cos you coast but a 2 hour or less hard fixed gear workout is a good use of time and it can be very hard . how about this i am on my geared bike and forget i can't stop by back pressure and run out through a red light not hit lucky I guess ..
b.

Boundgear
03-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Yes, after so many years of using my legs to slow, I am absolutely scared of those dangerous freewheels. Coasting feels unnatural now. I'm sure that I'm going to have to relearn how to descend.

sjbraun
03-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Butch,

You were supposed to install brakes on the new geared bike :)

I've never failed to stop on a geared bike, but I have tried to coast on my fixed.

Just love that feeling when the rear wheel lifts off the ground.

Speaking of fixed riding, I have to stop procrastinating and get on my (to pedal to work.)

Steve-Tucson

spiderman
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
is the best spring bike in the stable...
with an inch of slushy snow expected to melt by noon
instead of the ottrott, the csi or the uniscasi...
i packed the fixed fillmore for a ride at noon today.
i've quit changing out chains.
i just grab the home lube
and with the bike on the rear rack
spray it down when i get done riding...
keeps the road grit down
and the smooth spin going!

WadePatton
03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
LOVE riding fixed. 42x15. My next roadie will be 2-speed fixed/free.

Yes, riding fixed with others makes all the clickety snickety of derailleurs working echo in your head--as your head has become used to the sweet silence of tires/chain/pedal linked as one.

And then there's the flow thing...

bironi
03-18-2008, 10:25 AM
you guys are keeping me busy plugging your gears into Sheldon Browns gear calculator to compare to my own. I'm running 68.2 gear inches, and my new incoming crank will be 69.8.

Love the fixed riding, it's all I do most the year. I grab the gears when heading for the mountains, or a long challenging route.