PDA

View Full Version : Kirk seatpost clamping

RudAwkning
03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Is it just me, or does the seatpost clamping on a Kirk cinch and tighten better than any other seat cluster/clamp out there? I tighten that sucker and it just stops. I never feel like I can tighten it any more, never have to worry about stripping the bolt, never feel the need for a torque wrench.

Seems like a silly thing to gush about, but it's the small things that count :)

DarrenCT
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
maybe you're just a wimpmo?

ps: kidding...

bleusky
03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Is it just me, or does the seatpost clamping on a Kirk cinch and tighten better than any other seat cluster/clamp out there? I tighten that sucker and it just stops. I never feel like I can tighten it any more, never have to worry about stripping the bolt, never feel the need for a torque wrench.

Seems like a silly thing to gush about, but it's the small things that count :)

Simple..Dave knows what he is doing... one of the best made frames out there!..

RudAwkning
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
maybe you're just a wimpmo?

ps: kidding...

Aw, now you gone done it! Which do you want, the hospital [raises left fist] or the cemetary [raises right fist].

PaulE
03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
The CSI seatpost binder/fastback seatstays is sexy looking but Kelly Bedford once told me that it doesn't have the same clamping strength as a separate clamp like you see on a Legend or Fierte. So certain seatposts with a hard anodized finish, such as a Thompson, can slip in a CSI. And the CSI seatpost binder bolt threads right into the bike.

The Kirk uses two recessed allen pieces. I didn't take it apart - from the outside both heads look the same and you need to use an allen wrench on both sides. I suspect that inside one is a bolt and the other is a nut. Since you are tightening a nut and bolt through a beefier clamp that looks like it's part of the seat tube/top tube lug it seems to me that you can get it tight enough without worrying about breaking the binder bolt.

If I were to get another custom steel bike, I would want it to have the Kirk seatpost binder arrangement if possible.

DarrenCT
03-17-2008, 03:43 PM
im 400 pounds and the seatpost on my kirk slips down all the time.

whats the issue?

ps: im riding a carbon slr saddle

paczki
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
im 400 pounds and the seatpost on my kirk slips down all the time.

whats the issue?

ps: im riding a carbon slr saddle

I'm 800 lbs. and I ride a handcrafted Weightweenie carbon space needle saddle. My seatpost never slips. Are you sure that your Kirk isn't slipping somewhere other than into the seat tube? :banana:

FMS_rider
03-18-2008, 07:38 AM
... Are you sure that your Kirk isn't slipping somewhere other than into the seat tube? This brings back painful memories :butt: of Mr. Garrison's IT bike on South Park. http://www.tv.com/south-park/the-entity-a.k.a.-the-ginger-device/episode/99590/recap.html