PDA

View Full Version : Paint touchup question

dekindy
03-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I have put touchup paint on one of my scratches using Serotta touchup paint. I am now ready to use wet 2000 grit sand paper to smooth it out. Do I sand horizontally along the top tube of vertically or does it matter? Any pointers other than keeping it wet?

FMS_rider
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I have put touchup paint on one of my scratches using Serotta touchup paint. I am now ready to use wet 2000 grit sand paper to smooth it out. Do I sand horizontally along the top tube of vertically or does it matter? Any pointers other than keeping it wet?

If it were my bike I would call Serotta and ask for help from their painter who is said to be a real guru. I would think that the way you support the sandpaper is also a critical issue. I can visualize a disaster where you sand through the clear coat around the touched up spot and end up needing a repaint.

Lew

edit: I have gotten adequate results smoothing over retouched areas with fine sandpaper, but I sure as hell would never attempt it with my Legend without expert guidance, and even with that I think I would follow Larry's advice.

I probably should not be throwing this out because of the potential for disaster with a good bike, but I have also gotten a good result by smoothing retouched areas before the paint is fully hardened using paint thinner or alcohol on a gauze pad.

stormyClouds
03-18-2008, 10:06 AM
please keep us updated on your results.
i have always feared wet sanding after a touch up, thinking that it will make the whole area look worse. i always hate having those lumpy touch ups, though.

Larry
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Touch it up and let it age gracefully.
It adds personality and a little wear to the frame.

dekindy
03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I should have listened to the experts and left it alone. I did not have the expertise or talent and it looks a lot worse than when I started. :crap: Somebody told me once that they got old fast and smart slow. I am getting old and wondering how much longer I have to wait for the smart to catch up.

Rather than hassle with packing and shipping it for repaint or trying to describe how it looks or show pictures on the internet, I am doing what I should have done in the first place. In the spirit of the great deal I got on my Legend from the Serotta Garage I am selling it for a low price to a bicycle mechanic that wants to ride it and will eventually get it repainted.

I also sold my spare wheels today on E-bay and probably have my Schwinn Paramout sold also.

I have spent the last year and a half buying bikes, clothes, accesories, etc after not cycling for years. I am not going to do a thing this Summer but ride and train and work on becoming a stronger rider.

That is when it stops raining!