PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Reynolds Ouzo Pro Compression Plug

amg
03-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Hi All,

Seems like there is a new compression plug out there for Reynolds forks:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Compression+Adjustment+Plug&vendorCode=REYNOLDS&major=1&minor=3

Funny thing is, there's no information about this new compression plug on the Reynolds Composite website? Does anyone have an instruction sheet showing torque specs, spacing below the top cap, etc? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Antonio

FMS_rider
03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
It looks identical to the Serotta F3 fork plug which I received several weeks ago. It works very well --you just can't forget to take the overhanging lip into account when you cut the steerer.

I am still trying to find the spec for the F3 plug --it has a 22~23 embossed on the bottom that seems about right (for torque spec in in-lbs), but I am guessing.

Lew

Volant
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
It's also quite heavy (when compared to a Tune Bobo).

dirtdigger88
03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
It's also quite heavy (when compared to a Tune Bobo).

i think you mean the Tune Gum Gum . . .No?

Jason

BdaGhisallo
03-17-2008, 01:37 PM
I am pretty sure that new Reynolds plug will only fit the new UL fork. The UL fork comes with that plug and it won't fit in the steerer tube of an Ouzo Pro. The UL has thinner walls, meaning this plug has a greater o.d. than the i.d. of the Ouzo Pro.

The fact that they don't differentiate this plug as being either for the UL or the Ouzo leads me to believe that they only make the one size and it is for the UL.

Geoff

amg
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I am pretty sure that new Reynolds plug will only fit the new UL fork. The UL fork comes with that plug and it won't fit in the steerer tube of an Ouzo Pro. The UL has thinner walls, meaning this plug has a greater o.d. than the i.d. of the Ouzo Pro.

The fact that they don't differentiate this plug as being either for the UL or the Ouzo leads me to believe that they only make the one size and it is for the UL.

Geoff

Geoff,

The plug I received fits into my existing 1 1/8" Ouzo Pro. I put an e-mail out to Reynolds for installation instructions and specs.

Antonio

BdaGhisallo
03-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Hmmm. If that's the case, I just may have to hunt one of the Ouzo-sized plugs down. It's a far better setup than Reynolds' previous plug, imo.

guyintense
03-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I liked the old glue-in style. The one on the left is my version for one inch.

FMS_rider
03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Addition to my previous post (#2 above): I think the new Reynolds/Serotta F3 plug design is a substantial improvement over the one that came with an Ouzo Pro that I installed last fall. The Ouzo Pro plug was my previous favorite, but the new design has a more positive locking action.

I will weigh it if anyone is interested. I am sure most glue-in plugs weigh less, but I like hassle-free repositioning. Also, since the new plug sits at the top of the steerer tube the cap-bolt can be much shorter, which probably offsets a substantial part of the weight savings over glue-ins when placed at a conservative depth to simplify subsequent shortening. (Although this is not an issue with the glue-in plugs illustrated in the above post by guyintense.)

Lew

amg
03-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Man I miss quill stems.