PDA

View Full Version : velo-orange elkhide

Alexi
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
grrrrr 5 hours latter grrrr

dave thompson
03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
grrrrr 5 hours latter grrrr
It does take awhile, about 2 hours for me. I found it easier to work with the handlebars off the bike.

Louis
03-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd never buy the stuff, but just wondering, why is it so difficult? I'd imagine that it is quite strong, so you ought to be able to pull on it pretty hard as you wrap it. (My main concern when doing the Cinelli cork tape I usually use is that while trying to wrap it nice and tight I'll break it.)

dave thompson
03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I'd never buy the stuff, but just wondering, why is it so difficult? I'd imagine that it is quite strong, so you ought to be able to pull on it pretty hard as you wrap it. (My main concern when doing the Cinelli cork tape I usually use is that while trying to wrap it nice and tight I'll break it.)
The Velo Orange elkhide isn't a bar tape, it's a sew-on bar wrap. The time is taken by the sewing method, making sure the seam is running correctly and having to cut holes for the brake/shifter mounts. Wrapping a bar with tape is much easier but I think that the leather bar wrap is more elegant. It actually works quite well in the real world too.

Blue Jays
03-16-2008, 10:53 PM
The finished leather handlebar wrap sure does look nice. :beer:
Hey is that a 1.00" threadless headset with unisex stem? ;)

goonster
03-16-2008, 11:19 PM
The time is taken by the sewing method, making sure the seam is running correctly and having to cut holes for the brake/shifter mounts.

QFT.

Be careful. Start with small holes. Be generous when trimming at the end of the bar. I would never, ever do any of this with the bars on the bike. Pre-install housing and cable, then park yourself on the couch.

The elkhide is actually quite soft. Fantastic product, well worth the time and hassle to install.

Dude
03-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Oh my god I need that. Where can I get some?

Dude
03-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Does get slick in the rain/mud/junk? I want it for my cross bike this year but i can't have it all slippery.

dave thompson
03-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Oh my god I need that. Where can I get some?
Here: http://www.velo-orange.com/elsebarco.html

Does get slick in the rain/mud/junk? I want it for my cross bike this year but i can't have it all slippery.
I ran my elk hide bar wrap for the better part of last season. I treated it with Brooks Proofide and the wrap remained grippy in all conditions.

DarrenCT
03-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Here: http://www.velo-orange.com/elsebarco.html

I ran my elk hide bar wrap for the better part of last season. I treated it with Brooks Proofide and the wrap remained grippy in all conditions.

DT,

question: that elkhide looks very grippy. true/false?

dannyg1
03-17-2008, 02:03 AM
How are these cut? In a straight, long strip that meets at the seam, or are they cut to match the curve of the handlebar? Is there a backing material so that when you pull the seam ultra-tight, the thread doesn't rip through the leather? Are they sticky on the back?

Thanks,
Danny

mschol17
03-17-2008, 05:50 AM
How are these cut? In a straight, long strip that meets at the seam, or are they cut to match the curve of the handlebar? Is there a backing material so that when you pull the seam ultra-tight, the thread doesn't rip through the leather? Are they sticky on the back?

Thanks,
Danny

They're in a straight, long strip. The elkhide is pretty stretchy, and really tough, so you pull it tight and it stretches where you need it, but doesn't tear through the holes. There is a line of double-sided tape on the back. Just make sure you sew it up as tight as you can, or it can move around a little bit.

dave thompson
03-17-2008, 08:44 AM
DT,

question: that elkhide looks very grippy. true/false?
Nice and grippy on bare hands and very grippy with gloves.

They're in a straight, long strip. The elkhide is pretty stretchy, and really tough, so you pull it tight and it stretches where you need it, but doesn't tear through the holes. There is a line of double-sided tape on the back. Just make sure you sew it up as tight as you can, or it can move around a little bit.
To expand on this a little, I use an underwrap, hockey tape or cotton bar tape, to keep the elk hide from moving while installing and it also adds a nice amount of cushion to the bars.

Alexi
03-17-2008, 09:01 AM
having to cut holes for the brake/shifter mounts

this is where I ran into the hassle, getting the campy cables thru the hole. I cut one of the holes too big so it shows a little at the edge. :rolleyes:

goonster
03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Does get slick in the rain/mud/junk?

It does not. It will get soggy and then take a day, or so, to fully dry out.

[I] I cut one of the holes too big so it shows a little at the edge.

Cut a patch to fit the bare spot, and glue to the bars with contact cement. Worked pretty well for me.

PaulE
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I see too many things I can't live without! :) That is nice looking, I may try some on a project I have coming up soon.

ecl2k
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't like it - reminds me of post-op open abdominal surgery with all those stitches.