PDA

View Full Version : Custom Touring Bike?

Motorad
03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
* 1994 Trek 730: fenders, front mudflap, 33mm tires, rear rack. The official rain/snow street rider ... 5 mile radius from house.
* 2007 Rivendell Saluki: 650B x 33mm tires, headlights, taillights, rear mini-rack, bar end shifters. Safe for night riding and curb hopping, probably also the offroad bike, possibly for winter club rides.
* 2007 Legend ST: club rides, timed centuries, compact 50/34 crankset, 10-Speed (12-27) cassette, full dura ace complements, bar end shifters.
* Touring bike ... I suppose if I could start with the Legend frame, so that it would be similar to my club bike.

I'm not familiar with building up a touring bike. How would the Legend touring bike differ from the Legend go fast bike? For starters, should the Legend touring bike have carbon seat stays and carbon forks?

How else would the Legend touring bike differ from the Legend go fast bike?

Bradford
03-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Start by telling us what you are planning to do with the touring bike.

Unsupported tours? Credit card tours? Commuting?

97CSI
03-17-2008, 03:59 AM
Have you read this thread? Lots of good info from experienced touring folks.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42181

palincss
03-17-2008, 06:16 AM
* 1994 Trek 730: fenders, front mudflap, 33mm tires, rear rack. The official rain/snow street rider ... 5 mile radius from house.
* 2007 Rivendell Saluki: 650B x 33mm tires, headlights, taillights, rear mini-rack, bar end shifters. Safe for night riding and curb hopping, probably also the offroad bike, possibly for winter club rides.
* 2007 Legend ST: club rides, timed centuries, compact 50/34 crankset, 10-Speed (12-27) cassette, full dura ace complements, bar end shifters.
* Touring bike ... I suppose if I could start with the Legend frame, so that it would be similar to my club bike.

I'm not familiar with building up a touring bike. How would the Legend touring bike differ from the Legend go fast bike? For starters, should the Legend touring bike have carbon seat stays and carbon forks?

In my opinion, a Serotta Legend would be a poor choice for building up into a touring bike. You'd be much better off building up the Saluki.

Motorad
03-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Start by telling us what you are planning to do with the touring bike.

Unsupported tours? Credit card tours? Commuting?

The bike would not be for commuting (or racing), but rather for long distance riding at a steady pace.

I'm not sure what the definition of unsupported tour is. But I suppose the goal is to take off by myself from my area, and either do a triangle-type travel where I pedal back home ... or take off by myself from my area on a one-way trip, and then rent a vehicle to stow the bike in the trunk and drive back home.

Ht: 63".
PBH: 75.5 cm ... 76 cm if I stretch.
Wt: 150 lbs.

Credit card touring only. As light as possible, because I can not travel very fast or far with any sustained weight on the bike. I guess assume the bike could be bearing a 15 pound tour-load, in addition to 150 pound weight of rider.

I'm guessing the tire capacity would be in the 28-32mm width. I am not familiar with riding on carbon components ... or titanium. But I'm guessing that the lighter of a touring bike that could sustain a 150 lb hobbitt ... toting 15 lbs of wares ... the better.

OtayBW
03-17-2008, 06:56 AM
The bike would not be for commuting (or racing), but rather for long distance riding at a steady pace.

I'm not sure what the definition of unsupported tour is. But I suppose the goal is to take off by myself from my area, and either do a triangle-type travel where I pedal back home ... or take off by myself from my area on a one-way trip, and then rent a vehicle to stow the bike in the trunk and drive back home.

Credit card touring only. As light as possible, because I can not travel very fast or far with any sustained weight on the bike. I guess assume the bike could be bearing a 15 pound tour-load, in addition to 150 pound weight of rider.

I'm guessing the tire capacity would be in the 28-32mm width. I am not familiar with riding on carbon components ... or titanium. But I'm guessing that the lighter of a touring bike that could sustain a 150 lb hobbitt ... toting 15 lbs of wares ... the better.
I'm currently having an IF Club Racer built up. On balance, this bike has racing geometry and should handle pretty well, but it has some modifications that would permit light touring (longer chainstays/wheelbase for racks; more clearance for either cantilever or long-reach caliper brakes, larger tires, and fenders, etc.). So, hopefully, it will have the versatility of being something that handles well for long club rides, but also with the flexibility of a commuter or credit card tourer if desired.

I hope to be riding within ~10 days...

Larry
03-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Rivendell Atlantis if they still make these frames.

Ken Robb
03-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm with Palincsar on the Saluki idea. Riv still makes the Atlantis but in your size it would have 26" tires and be very close to your saluki in most respects.

I'd say add whatever you need to it and try a short tour. If you're not camping you can probably get all you'll need in one of the larger Riv or Carradice saddlebags augmented by a simple handlebar bag.

After the test trip you will have a good idea what, if anything, would be better for your future use.

ronlau
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I will add Ebisu and Bilenky in the mix. Both makes fine touring bike.

christian
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
You have a Saluki and want a bike to carry a 15-lb light touring load? You don't need a touring bike - you need a Carradice bag and a destination.

Pete Serotta
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
The first thing that I would recommend is that you determine what touring means to you. I do credit card touring and the Legend or Concours in CRT geometry works well. IF I was using 32mm tires and carrying 40 pounds of equipment, it would make a pour tourer.

QUOTE=palincss]In my opinion, a Serotta Legend would be a poor choice for building up into a touring bike. You'd be much better off building up the Saluki.[/QUOTE]

Pete Serotta
03-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Figure how you are going to use the bike and thenit will help you design the bike. A true touring bike is a "work horse" extremely stable and good at slow speed. Additionally it is heavy because it is strong to carry the load. For most folks it is not a spirited ride - for that is not what it was designed for. Ask yourself some questions on what touring means to you, in terms of how much you are going to carry, what type roads you will be riding, and in what countries if outside US (Steel has lots to off in terms of repair in out of the way places). Are you going to use the bike for only multi week touring? IS it self supported tour? There are many folks with good experience to help you here.

For me personally a Steel Serotta, Goodrich, Bedford, Kirk, would be a nice touring frame (as long as you defined to them what type of touring you will be doing.). AS mentioned you LEGEND can work well for Credit Card touring -- I have used one for 10 years)

palincss
03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
The first thing that I would recommend is that you determine what touring means to you. I do credit card touring and the Legend or Concours in CRT geometry works well. IF I was using 32mm tires and carrying 40 pounds of equipment, it would make a pour tourer.

QUOTE=palincss]In my opinion, a Serotta Legend would be a poor choice for building up into a touring bike. You'd be much better off building up the Saluki.[/QUOTE]

When I said the above, "credit card" had not been prepended to the word "touring", and I was anticipating a load would be more than 10-15lb. I agree with Serotta Pete: determine what "touring" means to you and take it from there.

J.Greene
03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that if your only carrying 10-15 lbs and riding reasonable distances about anything will work.

JG

Pete Serotta
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I carry between 10 and 20, and as long as rack supports it I have been fine. (this is a non ST carbon rear)

Bradford
03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that if your only carrying 10-15 lbs and riding reasonable distances about anything will work.
JG
I agree with J. Greene. You could throw a Moots Tailgator on a Legend and you are good to go.

However, if it were me, and I had the money, a pupose built bike would be a nice ride. In general, the Rapid Tour/Club Racer geometry makes the most sense to me, but only if it has rear rack mounts. I'd stick with your standard fork, no need for anything special.

In no particular order, bikes like these would work:

Serotta in Rapid Tour Geometry
Co-Motion Nor'wester
IF Club Racer

I really think a Kirk Terraplane with rack mounts and a third water bottle holder would be the cat's meow! I wonder if Dave can build a Terraplane that can take a rear rack?

Ginger
03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I agree with J. Greene. You could throw a Moots Tailgator on a Legend and you are good to go.

However, if it were me, and I had the money, a pupose built bike would be a nice ride. In general, the Rapid Tour/Club Racer geometry makes the most sense to me, but only if it has rear rack mounts. I'd stick with your standard fork, no need for anything special.

In no particular order, bikes like these would work:

Serotta in Rapid Tour Geometry
Co-Motion Nor'wester
IF Club Racer

I really think a Kirk Terraplane with rack mounts and a third water bottle holder would be the cat's meow! I wonder if Dave can build a Terraplane that can take a rear rack?

That's pretty much what I asked for in my Kirk terraplane. :) An all-arounder that I could do some light touring on...an occasional self-supported adventure, unsure of pack size...probably under 20lbs..., but not a full on touring bike, rack, fenders possible...

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/MAM%20full%20400.jpg

Only I went without the third water bottle holder...my frame is a little on the small side. Instead I just carry really big water bottles...

Bradford
03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh Ginger, now you've done it. How am I supposed to get that bike out of my head. I just promised my wife that I won't be buying another bike, and you go and show me that! :crap:

Must resist...must resist...

Larry
03-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Unless you are a really "toughened" body-type, I would give this venture a second thought. It is tough and it can be a long, lonely road. It is a challenge that young folks can weather more easily. This comes from years of experience when I was a young man. O.K. ...... maybe two week maximum tour. Anything more and you will be rethinking your task at hand.

Blue Jays
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
/\/\ Larry, he mentioned that it would be credit-card touring. Sleeping in a hotel each night with room service for dinner ain't too shabby! :D

Larry
03-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Fine. I did not read the entire post.

1. I just remember some incredible storms rolling across the plain in Wyoming.
2. Hail in your face while descending a mountain.
3. Camping at Hay Springs, Nebraska when a tornado hit Chadron about 15 miles away... and completely engulfed our tent with rain. "Hey man!..... Where are my contact lenses?"
4. COLD, rainy, and shaking while ascending MacKenzie Pass.
5. Being completely drenched......EVERYTHING!......near the Mackinaw (sp?)
Bridge in Michigan.
6. The helpless feeling of cold and shaking on the handlebars in upper New York state, or was it Vermont? Mid August and we had very little cold weather gear. We learned our lesson in a hurry.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......Just go prepared for any condition, because Mother Nature can unleash her wrath at the worst possible time.

Motorad
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanking everyone for their input. It is helping me to envision a riding style. I may not have the energy or time to prepare for loaded tours, and would only engage possibly a 3-day ride after checking the WeatherBug for clear skies. Although, Michigan weather can do an about-face in three days.

Are there any additional concerns I should have with the carbon ST components of the Legend ST, as far as doing long rides? If I thought there was any compromise to the carbon forks, I would halt the ride. But are there spare parts of the ST component of the Legend ST, that would be a good idea to pack for road-repair?

I guess along with the question about carrying spare parts for the ST rear: Is there as much safety concern to a compromised ST carbon rear ... as there is to a compromised carbon fork? Should you halt your ride, if you suspect a damaged carbon ST?

Motorad
03-20-2008, 06:58 AM
I do credit card touring and the Legend or Concours in CRT geometry works well.

Thanks everyone for feedback. What is meant by CRT geometry? When providing recommendations on the build of my bike, I specified comfort as a priority over drivetrain and agility. It also about five carbon rings above the head tube, to elevate the handlebars close to saddle height.

Also, I checked out the titanium Moots Tailgators. I like the design of these, but have two questions:
* Any problems with clamping it on a carbon seatpost?
* How much seatpost needs to be available, to allow enough room between bottom of saddle and the rear wheel? My size 48 Legend ST frame is pretty compact.

If the Moots Tailgator is too big for my size 48 frame with carbon seatpost, are there other recommended titanium "mini-racks" that I could check out?

sg8357
03-20-2008, 07:11 AM
If the Moots Tailgator is too big for my size 48 frame with carbon seatpost, are there other recommended titanium "mini-racks" that I could check out?

Carradice SQR, it straps to the seatpost, and there are several
bags to choose from. To avoid carbon post adventures get a Nitto
post for traveling.

www.wallbike.com for all things Carradice.